Breastfeeding help

Ttc1234

Reaction score
Suggestions please. My wee one is 4 weeks and exclusively bf since birth. He's a good suckler but rarely falls asleep feeding apart form lying down in bed. He becomes fussy so I take him off (usu feeds 40-60 mins every 2-3hours). I then get ten mins peace before he's screaming. This has went on for weeks - surely he can't be hungry every time or he'd be on me all the time.
Is it wind? Is he a suckler and should I get a dummy? Does Infacol work?

Hey! Hmmm that is a tricky one, breastfed babies don't usually need things like infacol, is he easy to wind? Do you wind half way through a feed?

Also for supply there's a supplement called Fenugreek that you can get from Holland and Barrett that is meant to increase supply. They do have a growth spurt between 4-6 weeks so it may feel that they never stop feeding for a little while but it is only for him to grow :)

Do you swap boobs in feeds yet? Like if one is empty do you offer the second one? xx

I usually do 20-30 mins one side then change his nappy then offer the second side which he will maybe take 10 mins from. He then gets really fussy and starts crying so I assume this is him having enough. I sit him up wind him and he's happy again. He loves sitting up but I only get about ten mins and he cries again.
I gave him Infacol as of last night on hv recommendation. She's also suggested we give a dummy to soothe him to sleep during the day. I don't need the dummy at night as I cosleep until he's sound then put him in basket (can take a few hours of sooking mind u lol)!

Lol bless you, how strange so chances are he's getting enough as he's feeding off both sides, I hope the infacol helps! Does the dummy help at all during the day? or is this day 1 of trying it xx

I used the dummy at the cafe when I met my friend for a few hours this morning and it worked a treat-he dozed off then spat it out sound asleep. I reckon he is a wee sucker!! So happy I was able to enjoy myself and baby was settled :)

Will keep going with the Infacol too as only want to give him dummy when I need too! Let's hope we are on to a winner xx

Last edited:
Fab news! They do sometimes just need a comfort suck, so glad you've pretty much cracked it already! xx

Please don't feel bad about giving your baby a dummy; if it helps settle him then it helps you get some peace. My LO is 9 weeks and I have a 2.5 year old and I was adamant my first son wasn't having a dummy before he was born but he just wouldn't settle.....When I think about it now, the only reason I didn't want him to have one was because of what other people might think - now I realise I really don't care and I just want my son and therefore me to be calm and happy xx

I would maybe continue feeding on the side he left off when you change his nappy. It takes a good few weeks for the milk to be properly established and in the first few weeks alot of the watery milk comes first, then the fattier milk and then whats the equivalent of gold top milk comes last. It can take babies a good 45 mins to get all the milk on one side so it might be worth trying that same sife for a bit longer before moving to the next side. Do you ever get that weird feeling near the end of the feed where baby's tongue sort of vibrates your nipple? Apparently thats a good sign that he's getting the really fatty milk as its the equivalent of the baby 'licking the plate clean'.

Also breastfed babies are just as likely to suffer from trapped gas and things like reflux but there are certain things you can try to help relieve those ailments e.g. not having much gassy food in your diet, changing the position you feed in so baby is more upright and also things like infacol can help.

Otherwise if youre still a bit concerned are there any bf support groups you could go too which could check the latch as sometimes a small adjustment to the latch and positioning could help things like excess wind getting in.

Good luck though chick, 4 weeks breastfeeding and surviving a newborn is amazing!xx

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Yes to feeling the "vibration" babyever. He's a bit more settled this evening with the Infacol so will see what tomorrow brings:) I'm loving breastfeeding although hard initially. The feeling my baby is getting what's best for him is lovely. I don't say it often but I am proud we've got to 4 weeks with no bottles. I haven't even got a steriliser and ppl thought I was mad before I had him - now proved others wrong:)xx

Breast feeding champions are supposed to be amazin, although sounds like you're doing a great job. They can counsel you on a lot of things and are trained in looking after psychological needs of mums and dads too. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back