Breastfeeding help please

nikkif

Reaction score
I know it is still early days for me but i am sure my milk has come in properly now- charlotte has some feeds fo 15-20 minutes or even more but then other times still only feeds for 5-10mins, then wants to feed again half an hour later

Is this normal? I am just worried incase she isn't getting enough and i though you needed a good 20mins to get to the thicker milk?
Thanks

Hi nikki,

Congratulations on the birth of Charlotte!

This is totally normal - don't worry about the quality of the milk she is getting at the moment, she will make sure she is getting enough and the right kinds, she will regulate it herself. Just feed her on demand as you are doing and look after yourself too!

Well done for feeding her youself, it's no picnic in the early days but I'm so so pleased I persevered.

Valentine xxx

You are doing fine, hun. I think at the beginning, there are times when they cant take more, their little tum is stil so tiny. She will regulate her feeds and in a few weeks will settle down to feeding every few hours. At the moment, just try to relax and dont worry about housework or any of that - just enjoy your little girl.
:hug: :hug: :cheer: Congrats!

Lisa

Sounds fine, believe me you will soon know if she needs more, she'll tell you! Maybe on one of the short feeds you could tickle her feet a bit to keep her awake and see if she keeps feeding, if she doesn't go for it, or just won't wake, then she's had probably had enough, but it's common for babies to fall asleep partway through a feed, so try and figure out if she's halfway through or properly finished.

It may get a bit more difficult at times, but honestly, stay with breastfeeding if you really want to. I got to a point where I was really struggling just before the 2 week milestone, but it's all good again now and no problems at all, really glad I stuck with it, it feels so rewarding.

nikkif said:
I know it is still early days for me but i am sure my milk has come in properly now- charlotte has some feeds fo 15-20 minutes or even more but then other times still only feeds for 5-10mins, then wants to feed again half an hour later

Is this normal? I am just worried incase she isn't getting enough and i though you needed a good 20mins to get to the thicker milk?
Thanks

I was worried as I'm going through the same thing - sounds like this is the norm.

Do you find that you have to wake your LO most of the time in order to make sure she is feeding? I'm finding it difficult to keep the LO awake enough to feed, and sometimes when she is awake, it doesn't take many sucks before she's nodded off again.

As others have said she WILL let you know when she's hungry :hug: She's still little so her tummy is still a bit small and so she'll gradually take more as she grows, you're doing great!!

A note on the tickling feet thing, lots of it and constant tickling isn't recommended, as LO's can't laugh or say stop, so it may cause distress, I've read to stroke rather than tickle..this thread says more;
http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=46653

hey, I'm the same, ione will normally feed for 10 minutes every two hours, but sometimes she'll only do 5 minutes at a time. As long as she's happily pooing and weeing several times a day I'm sure she's fine and taking whatever she needs.

in the first few weeks ur baby is learning so the feeds are irregular like that. i found sometimes millie would only feed for a few minutes and other times be on for an hour or longer! it is quite tough but it gets easier i promise, just go with it, she'll cry if shes hungry xx

sounds like its going well it is more tiring than you think b/feeding make sure you keep up your fluids

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back