When should I express my milk? * Advice needed* please

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
Should I express milk before or after a feed?
Friend says if I do it after baby has fed it will only be hind milk (fatty) but if I do it before baby feeds or between feeds, there may not be enough for them?

At moment I am doing this...

after 9.30 am ish feed or 1.30 pm feed (baby has milk from both sides) I express 2-3 oz (total from both breasts)

After 4.30 / 5 pm feed I do the same.

At 9 / 9.30 pm feed baby has milk expressed during day (4-5 oz) and then I express 5-6 oz from boobs (as they are full, ready for feed). I freeze this and am hoping to build up a stock of frozen milk to use.

Last night I did notice baby had an interim feed (3.30 am) and just took about 5 mins then fell asleep. Was she thirsty I wonder cos expressed milk was just hind milk? Or was this fluke, after all she had fed wellfrom breasts at 1.30 am???

Any tips/advice ladies? Thanks.

I often found that there was more hind milk in my milk that I expressed first thing in the morning than there was later on at night. I could tell this from when the milk seperated whilst in the fridge, there was a real difference in the amount of 'cream' at the top and the morning milk was often quite a grey colour.

It could just have been a fluke that she woke up and what you're doing sounds find.

I used to express off both boobs before I went to bed at night like you do, and then feed off one and express one when DD woke up in the morning. Then I'd add both the milks together and give it to DD as her last feed :)

Just do what works for you, it sounds like you've got a good feeding/expressing routine going :)

I always used to express around 8-30 - 9am, when I was building up a stock, after her first morning feed of 7:30am. I was worried about making sure that Ellie had enough. Though that was for building up a stock to use when she went to nursery if I couldn't express enough off during the day - and to get enough for the first day in nursery.

I am really impressed with how much you got off in the evening. I tried getting some off then (when I couldn't get enough off during the day for her next days feed) and I couldn't even get half an ounce!

If you keep expressing at the same time everyday your bodys' supply will increase to meet that demand.

I kind of know about the supply and demand thing - it's awkward ish as ideally the 9.30/10 pm feed is when we want her to have a bottle so if we go out someone can feed her. But that also means I have to express then as I miss a feed (BF) and want to avoid engorgement. We went to a games night last night with Imogen and took a bottle of EBM which she took 3oz. But I fed her at 6.30 pm before we went out, got home 12.30 am and boy my boobs were engorged!! They were sooooo heavy and sore and lumpy. I fed Imogen (both sides) and then expressed 5oz!! Fed again at 4 am, then 8.30 am. I really felt full even after feeding Imogen so expressed an oz from each (until boobs felt soft again). It brought much relief.
What I am finding is I feel so full even after hour and half / 2 hours after start of feeding Imogen. She feeds roughly every 3-4 hours. I don't express all the time after feeds, but I wonder if I should avoid doing this (unless she only feeds from one) and only express when she has a bottle of EPM as it might encourage increased production in milk (supply and demand).

I just seem to make and have a lot of milk which is uncomfortable a lot of the time. Also, any ideas about what to do about engorgement when out for evening.... I know it's prob unavoidable and I did feed Imogen before and after we went out but any advice? ? Thanks.

Should I express another time of day?? Or express less at night? She seems to take 3-4 oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back