Breastfeeding help please

tambo1976

Reaction score
I have been umming and arring over breastfeeding and I have decided to give it a go. However I really have no clue what I need from the very beginning. I'm guessing I still need to buy some bottles (because I do want my OH to have the chance to bottle feed him), a breast pump and a steriliser. I'm really not sure what else?

I'm worried that I won't be prepared, I mean, what if for some reason I can't BF while I'm recovering in hospital (planned c asection for me)... how do I then go about getting him formula? or do I just need to be prepared for both and take some formula in with me.

Last time I gave birth bottles were given to us at hospital but now I have read that you have to take your own in? How does that work exactly because sterilising bottles on a maternity ward but be a nightmare :(

Basically, I really need to know

1, what do I need to start BF
2, what do I need for a ff back up plan should BF go... let's say... tits up! :lol:
3, if I do have to ff what do I need to take into hospital with me or send my OH out on an emergency trip to fetch for me lol

Thanks in advance! xxx

I don't no hun as never bf but....loving the 'tits up' pun lol xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

I bought bottles, and hand pump, a microwave stereliser, and milk storage pots (all Tommee Tippee) for in case I couldn't BF. (Whole lot was about, £30?).
I had a bottle, and two small formula cartons in my hospital bag (Cow and Gate 200ml ready-made formula carton, 60p in Tesco. Literally cut the corner off the box, pour into a bottle, feed. Once opened, lasts 24 hours and is enough for two feeds).

Once in hospital, I tried BF... I really did. It just wasn't happening.
After a few attempts, including syringe feeding (MW gives you a teeny syringe to hand-express into, then you squirt that into baby's mouth, so he's still getting breast-milk), MW suggested a formula top-up. The point being that he maybe needed some food in him to start with, to give him the energy to actually feed.
She then brought me a teeny bottle of Cow and Gate formula. (You can purchase these in Tesco too... They're individual 90ml bottles, the teat comes separately wrapped, and the bottle is screw-capped and foil-lidded. Basically, unwrap and go. They're great but if you want them for home, they come in a box of 12 for £15...).

After Cay had had his formula, we managed to get him onto the breast, and we were sorted for a bit.

I've ended up not BF after all, because omg, ouch! I am expressing and bottle-feeding that, so all the bits I'd bought have actually come in useful.
We ended up buying one box of expensive individual formulas, because to start with, I was still trying to BF, but at times it'd just be too painful, then he'd struggle to latch on and be gettin hungrier and hungrier, so I tried BF each time, but gave him one of the little bottles if he needed it.

One week on, I've still got three of the 12 little bottles left, and I've now got a few pots of breast milk in the fridge, yay :)

In the hospital, if you need formula to feed baby, they'll give you formula. They won't let baby starve.

Hope that helps xx

Thats fantastic info! Thanks :D

I was pondering a manual pump or an electric pump but I seen an electric pump in asda for £100 yesterday, I didn't know they were that expensive!!! Not sure whether to splash out on one or just get a manual, what do you think?

Hi Hun, I always wanted to bf and it was Ali was ever going to do (according to my plan!). However I had brought nothing ready because I went into labour 2 months early. Harry was unable to feed from me because he was so premature so the hospital loaned me a breast pump to express (I'm sure they would do this for you if you have any issues etc) the hospital also had formula. They won't watch your baby starve lovely. They will do what they can. It took 7 weeks for me to finally be able to breastfeed him and even now we can only do it using nipple shields. Personally I would hold off buying anything until you know what you are doing because sometimes things just don't work out like you would like them too and breast pumps are expensive if you're not going to use it.i would ut bottles and a steriliser because either way you will need those. I would buy a few cartons of ready made formula just incase and if your baby latches on great you won't be in any rush for e breast bump so you can just fetch it later. The hospital will help you if there are latching issues. Old luck Hun I really hope it works for you and if I can give you anymore advise just let me know. I've posted my bf story on here xxx

That should say good luck not old luck!xx

All going well you will need lansinoh(to put on your nipples after each feed as they need to.get used to baby feeding)
Nursing bras (.i say buy 2 soft ones like Bravado for the beginning)
Breast pads (i didnt need them straight away because milk doesnt come in straight away)
I would recommend going to a BFing class and get local BF groups/lactation consultants numbers on the fridge.
As much as its natural, it can be very tough in the beginning abd lots of women give up because of it.
I got pump and bottles so I could express plus steriliser.
Good luck hun and if you want to do it, make sure your hospital knows so they can support you

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I wouldn't buy a pump until you establish BF. If you get on well with BF, it's to recommended to express and offer a bottle for a few weeks until your supply is properly established. If you need a pump in a hurry, amazon do next day delivery or your OH can pick me up quickly in mothercare etc. a pump will be a waste of money if you end up going down the formula route.

I bought a couple of the mam bottles, they can be sterilised in the microwave without a steriliser. I had one of these and a carton of ready to use aptimil in my hospital bag in case I couldn't BF.

Anything you need can be bought very quickly and easily - most supermarkets sell bottles and sterilisers and are open 24 hours! So don't worry about getting stuff just in case.

Last edited:
I got a manual pump, as I figured even if BF, it'd be an idea to pump every now and then anyway, just to build up the supply. I'm now express-feeding still off a manual pump, although now I know I need to express all the time, I'm tempted to start eyeing up an electric.
Been doing it for a week now and it's no problem, so the electric is definitely not an immediate need.

Someone said about lansinoh... Get it.
BF or expressing, there's something sucking on your nipples, and it can wear on you.
Even if FF, your boobs will leak for a while until the milk dries up... The lansinoh will protect your nipples when you leak and can't change straight away, or whatever. It's worth getting, definitely.

Out of everything, I would most strongly recommend a couple/few little cartons of formula, bottles and stereliser, so if the worst comes to the worst, you've at least got something in to feed baby.
There's nothing as upsetting as knowing baby's hungry, and not being able to feed him.
Just remember, if you do want to BF, and end up using formula for that first feed when you get home, it doesn't mean you can't BF after that. Get baby fed, then try BF next time once he's a little more settled. X

I bought an electric pump, a sterilizer and some bottles. Even if you don't end up BFing you will need the bottles and sterilizer. I use milk storage bags as if you freeze them flat they take up a lot less space than the storage pots.

Essentials for BFing, a comfy chair/sofa, you can use normal cushions or pillows to support LO so don't need a special feeding cushion. You will need feeding bras, breast pads and I can't stress how good the lansinoh cream is, use it from the first feed as your nipples will be sore at first. I don't think you need any special breastfeeding tops, I just bought some cheap vests and when I feed, I pull the vest down and my other top up so no baby tummy on display!

I personally wouldn't get any formula, I have never had any in the house. Breastfeeding was very painful at first and I think if I had had any formula in the house I would have given up in those early days. If you do get desperate most corner shops stock it and so many supermarkets are open 24 hours a day now. As for in the hospital, if you are truely struggling to feed, they will provide you with some. xx

I am not getting any formula too as i dont want to be tempted. DH can nip out if its too bad (but we are in London so its easy)

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Get the lanisoh, don't take formula to hospital, you'll have lots of help to bf.
I bought 6 aptimil srtarter bottles to have at home just in case (still unopened)
And we bought a starter kit for bottles which had 4 bottles, a hand pump, microwave steriliser so the I could express ( which came in handy when he went on nursing strike at 10 days) now used to express a couple of oz each morning to store.
I hand expressed colostrum for 24 h cos Ollie wouldn't latch then he took to the breast, we fed him by syringe before that. I dint leak til my milk came in 3 days later but everyone is different. Don't panic buy too much, or take stuff for ff to hospital LO won't starve.

my experience so far has been that bf is tough but rewarding, it takes perseverance and its a skill you both have to learn. dH has done a couple of expressed feeds but we will do this slowly, it really does take a few weeks to settle into breast feeding and get your supply right. Take it slow and don't panic. I found advice on here invaluable, good luck!! Xxx

We were given some avent bottles and lanisoh cream and I bought a second hand microwave steriliser and some breast pads/nursing bras. Luckily ive had no problems breast feeding at all (apart from it being exhausting at times). Bought a medela swing pump once i had feeding established and my OH has been able to give our son a bottle of expressed milk as needed. I wouldnt worry about having formula 'just in case' as the hospital will have something available if you have any problems, they would not let your baby starve!
I love breastfeeding my son so wish you well with it!X

Oh and i forgot to mention a good pillow (i use v pillow from when i was pregnant) a comfy chair, drink plenty of water and eat lots of good food that you can eat with one hand (and preferably served to you while you are feeding). My OH would bring me a plate of fruit and some cake or biscuits for breakfast in bed while i fed for about the first 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Personally if you really wanna bf I wouldn't buy in formula at all! Not gonna lie - bf is hard work, especially to start with - while you are in hosp they will help (and they will not let LO starve). But at the start when bf you Do have to power through cluster feeding etc and having formula in the house can make that very difficult. A lot of people can feel that once they had given formula they have 'Failed' and it can be difficult to get back on track. where as doing one more feed before turn to formula, and make the difference in success. Realistically there are very very few reasons you shouldn't manage, do back up shouldn't be needed.

Just my opinion though. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

^wss, don't buy formula if you truly want to bf.
You will feel that you have no milk at first, you'll feel like baby is feeding all the time, you'll worry that they are hungry, you'll likely feel some discomfort at first, even pain. Be prepared for all of these things. This is all normal.
A new born stomach is about the size of a walnut, breast milk is easily digested and passes through quickly, hence regular feeding. Regular feeding also builds your supply.
Stay away from formula hun. Put it out of your mind, you can do it! x

I have to say, I agree with the others that said that having formula in the house might be a bad idea. If I hadn't had any formula, I might not have cracked at 4am and given that formula feed that was the beginning of the end of my breastfeeding attempt. I was very committed to breastfeeding my LO, but I was tired, in pain and at a very low point. Things might have looked different in the morning.

Things look very very different in the morning hun :hugs:
I've been there and I love bf but I was in agony and at a real real low x

Ok I will definitely not be buying formula! just wondering now though, if it is very painful to start with can I take any painkillers or are they a big no no because I am BF?

Paracetamol is safe if breast feeding but lansinoh cream is honestly the best thing, some people also find chilled cabbage leafs help xx

I wouldn't say it's painkiller painful - its more "toe curling" - you know like when you get really bad pins and needles and you can't stand it - a bit like that. Any serious level of pain prob means a latch problem.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back