Breast pump

katjam1980

Reaction score
It's probably a bit too soon to be thinking abotu this, but I like to be prepared & I've pulled a spreadsheet together with all the possible things I'm likely to want/need, with cost, in preparation for the arrival of LO...(anal I know, but it helps to budget & takes time to research the best deal ;) !)

Anyway, one of the items I have on the list is a breast pump, I have been advised that electric ones are far better than manual, but the problem is, they don't come cheap & as much as I am going to try to breast feed, I really don't know how I will get on with it yet, so given that it may not work out, i'm not sure whether to invest in a breast pump.

Anyone else thought of this...I suppose I will just have to keep this item on the back burner & just buy one at the time if I know I'll get the use out of it - don't really fancy opting for 2nd hand for this :|

just bought a manual one..yes it's probably a bit more tricky than an electric one but it doesn't make any noise ( so great if you want to use it at night) ...it really depends how often you think you're going to use it ? I'm only thinking using it so my partner can do a few feedings now and then (that's the plan anyway)..the TT one is reduced to from £26 to £17 at mothercare and Asda got it for £9 only !!! you can't go wrong with that !

I used the avent manual breast pump with brooke, it worked fine, I did use the hospitals electric pump (obviously new attachments) as brooke was in special care so was there everyday all day so didn't want to carry my pump around with me! But I can't really remember what I found easier..

I used a manual and it worked fine, so did my sister. Just depends how much you plan to use it really though, if it's just the odd bottle when your out or tired then manual will be fine

Thanks for the advice ladies, I don't think I'll bother wasting my pennies on the electric one then, better things to spend my money on!! That asda deal is very good!

I've bought the avent manual one as I may get on so well with breastfeeding that I won't need an electric one!
Me & OH gave agreed to try and have the money for an electric one once baby is here, that way if we font need one we cam treat ourselves or baby to something else instead :)

I couldn't live without mine! Bought a Tommee Tippee one first which was great, did an ok job, but invested in the medela and it's worth every penny.

You get some really good deals on eBay.

i did the same as rayoflight my tommy tippee one broke after 3 days so invested in medela, which was excellent wouldn't have been anywhere without it as my little one struggled to latch so until he did i expressed also helped when oh wanted to do feed to give me a rest.

I breastfed Joshua till 15 months. I used a TT manual pump which worked great till I melted it in my microwave! Got another one, identical and was total crap.... Im deffo going to invest in electric one. Asda at £40 is a bargain. TK max have on sale too I think. I work full time so I expressed for during day but loved breastfeeding morning, lunch, evening and night. Great fir hubby to get involved too...

why dont you wait to see if you take to breast feeding first? They advise not to express for the first couple of weeks anyway just to let the flow of milk regulate to your babys feeding pattern.

Mine was electric and I swore by it as I could try to nod off during expressing, as if I wasnt feeding him I was expressing at one point. Depends how much milk you get too, my SIL struggled with a manual one, bought an electric one which was better for her but stopped after a few weeks anyway. Im very pro "mothers choice" so whatever you do, breast or bottle/formula do what you feel comfortable with. You could always buy a second hand electric with new attachments/tubes if you wanted to go that route x
xxx

I have bought an electric 1 but havent opened it or took out of box in case for some reason I cant breast feed? You can freeze breast milk as well for up to 3 months, you cna get special bags from mothercare to put the breast milk in then put it in freezer! They are fab caus have the mills up the side and come with a pen so you can write the date you expressed :)

Good idea if you want to go on night out etc at least you still have breast milk while getting the alcohol out your system

I'm planning on breast feeding too but I've bought the TT manual pump incase I have any problems and also I want OH to be involved as much as possible so thought I'd express some for bottles so OH can have some bonding time with Bubbs and feed too xxx

Hi hun i would not buy one till you see if you both take to breast feeding like you said there is so much more to spend your money on at the minute.

If you are on facebook Nuby uk are giving away free breast pumps you have to email them your 20 week scan and like there page

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back