breast feeding issues

Squeakz

Reaction score
hey girls this is more of a rant about MW tbh but never mind. brought joshua home on thursday last week n he ended becoming permannently attached to my breast. im talkng 15 - 17 hours solid a day which wasnt fun and then he wasnt sleeping just crying n being sad. so on the saturday night after 2 days of hell and being told by the labour ward its ntural to feed a lot, (pfft yh right that much), he was not pooing r weeing for two days, had lost over the 10% boundary of weihgt and did his hungry face, to put him on a formula bottle! oh my word he MUNCHED it and fell to sleep and started weeing and pooing and generally seemed happier!! so decided to share the feeding between breast and formula!!!

told my mw and she basically went mental telling me i should under no circumstances be using formula, made it sound like it was child abuse, althuogh no-one wouuld judge me for giving him formula if that whtat i wanted it was better for his health and my health to b.feed, also he was more likely to suffer obesity as an adult. shouldnt really be both feeding as it confuses him and basically gave me a million diffeent things to improve my milk supply!!! also sge reweighed him after a weekend of both formula and turned around and told me tht my milk was definitely coming in because he put weight on (not because he had been feeding obvs!)

anyway my mw made me feel like a shit mum....

rant over...

xxx

What a cow bag! If it works for you and he's happy, there's no issue in my eyes! So bad that she spoke to you like that, as you are the mother at the end of the day, only you know what's best for your child. Try motto worry about it x

thats not very supportive at all! You do what you feel hun, you know what is best for your baby and of course yourself i think i would have done the same in your situation :hugs: xxx

Why do these MW do this, I hear so many stories from friends and family who have had simular problems and been so rude to new Mums (who are feel rather hormonal anyhow).

The last friends this happend to, it turned out that the MW was so rude and forceful about her breast feeding when she was having so many problems, that if she stopped they would get a pay out / grant or what ever you call it. If they can keep making Mum breast feed the department will get extra money. Total joke and distgusting if you ask me. How true this is i am not sure, but would explain a lot of things. Anyhow, my friend did start to use the bottle, and they are a lot happier now.

I think you have to do what is best for you both and don't you worry what others say. It is more important that you and baby aren't stressed and that baby is getting enough food than you breast feeding or combinning the two in your case.

Sending you a big hug.

Massive hugs honey x you're not a shit mother if you're making your child happy and that's clearly what you're doing! x

yar. i called my mum in tears on monday and she reassured me big time!! her first thing was - what happens t the children f women who physically cant breast feed??? they'tre finr lol and perfectly hralthy lol!! ah well xx thnks ladies
xx

sophie i dont have any experiense but alot of ppl have said to me to listen to myself and what i think is best for my baby, not what anyone else tells me :hugs:

what a wench! youve done nothing wrong. i had to combine feed my son and hes not confused at all. i told my HV i was concerned about my milk suppy and she said the same, hes gaining weight so its fine. DUH i dont just let him go hungry so he looses weight, he has formula :roll: anyway i got myselfd referred to our breast feeding advisor who is very sensible and just ignore my HV

stupid MW!!

you have done what you felt was the best for your child, surly they want to see him puttin on weight being happy than starving to death because ur struggling etc to breastfeed,

give her a piece ov our minds hun!! lol

xxx

what a horrid MW :mad:

lots of us have problems with BFing. it not for everyone. for me, i lasted 2 weeks and it was found that the let down reflex just was not happening despite LO latching on properly. there is NOTHING worse than trying to feed a hungry baby, doing everything right, and nothing happens.

did the MW offer you a shot/hire of an electric pump? they usually have one or two for situations like this, to see if you can encourage the milk to come.

Dont be disheartened, you tried and did your best. :hugs:

hey thanks everyone! have a breast pump and things are very slowly picking up but not quite quickly enough for the little man. Hes spent all day up screaming....x

awww hunni you are doing a grand job dont give up. have you still got MW or HV coming in to see you and baby?

Maybe your wee man is a bit colicky...when they are like that they will cry for feeds even when theyd ont need them, for comfort, but it wont help if it is colic

worth asking for advice xx

i really didnt want to bf but i was swamped with milk by day 2 in hosp so although daisy used to bottles i introduced breast twice a day and mw was very supportive saying it a bit extra in form of antibodies etc but her main feeding is still artificial go with what you feel works for you not what works for your mw

have you tried using fenugreek supplements? I got them from holland and barret. THe BF advisor told me about htem, they def increase my milk supply cos I dont normally have enough milk to get leaky boobies unless I take the supplements, then Ive got a lot more and I can hear him gulping the milk down. Also your GP might prescribe domperidone. Its a drug that can increase your milk supply. They prescribe it sometimes. but some GPs wont, like mine :roll:

I hope u put in an official complaint bout her.

I was in a similar situation my self 6 weeks ago tho my mw was brill.

My baby is now exclusivly formula fed.

thans ladies. nott put in a complaint just got to a point wyhere i have taken on the pros and cons etc and decided that i kow my baby and ill do whatever it takes ro make him happy...... im perfectly happy combinaion feeding, so is he and to piss on my mw he likes a dummy whilst he has no teeth! long story xxxxx

Can't believe that, don't feel bad, they should not do that, you do what you feel is best for your baby, and that will be perfect. My three were all bottlefed and healthy and happy and not obese like she said, as long as they feed who cares how !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back