breast feeding dilema

winnie89

Reaction score
Hi ladies so I've been breast feeding my son since he was born and he's now 5 days my milk has come in so my boobs are really sensitive and hurt quite a bit, (had a bad latch so my nipples were cracked) it hurts a lot to try and feed him at first but once he gets going it's fine and doesn't hurt anymore, the problem is he seems hungry constantly hungry. Last night I spent an hour feeding him and 20 minutes later he was rooting again and screaming because he was still hungry. He was having formula top ups to settle him.

Should I just give him a bottle as he seems more content and seems to settle better after his formula top up ?

we are doing forumla top ups.....for 2 reasons really. hannah was in special care and on a high calorie formula from day 1. i only saw her from day 2 cos i was so ill and so only started to try and breast feed from then.....i wasnt producing much cos of my blood loss and so she still needed top ups cos they needed to closely monitor her blood sugars. she has now got so used to having a bottle top up after breast, we have had to continue with this....

but to be honest......my recovery was and is still being hampered by me not looking after myself......hard to when you have a LO to look after! so we still do combination feeding so that i am just not constantly feeding and i can get some rest. hubby can also help with night feeds. I do express too so that she can have my milk from a bottle during the night....

i am proud that i even managed to try and feed her myself with what i have been through and my thoughts are so long as she is getting some from me, its better than nothing. but if giving her formula too makes her a happy and content baby, then i would rather have that...

xx

No. Not if you want to bf. Every time you give a bottle and not let baby suck it'll affect your supply. The first few weeks are vital for building supply it's hard going but so so worth it. Just relax, put your feet up on the sofa with the remote, water, snacks and a tube of lanisonah and let your baby take the lead. Don't worry about cooking or housework and make the most of cuddles. It does get easier I promise!

dont use anything else just bf its the best thing and stick with it through the thick and thin it pays off and you wouldnt believe the benefits just keep going with it you'll never regret it as anyone who has breastfed i did it til my daughter was just under a year and i loved it and am gonna do it all again x

PP and tabbi are totally right. You need to let baby feed on demand, which can be hours sometimes in the early days. BFing takes alot of commitment but it is so worth it. Once supply is established you do get into more of a routine, but those first few months you have to give yourself over completely. Never doubt that your body isn't making enough, because your body will do what baby's saliva tells it to do xxxx

Macy wouldnt latch, and also my milk didn't come in, (which was annoying as I bought half of mothercares BF range) but I wish now so much that I could BF, it would make everything so much easier, less expensive, and bonding.

But it's your body, and if you want to formula feed and you think it will help, then why not.

Just keep feeding it'll catch up I was sent home from hospital and LO was in NICU without me for a week with bottles/expressed milk/being only on a drip so trust me if u persevere you'll get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back