Boobs - leakage and pain - UPDATE bottom p1

debecca

Reaction score
OK, it would appear I've been lied to! :shock:

I had a breast reduction in 2001 and EVERYONE I've spoken to has said that because my nipples were cut off and reattached that I would not be able to breastfeed.

Yesterday my breasts blew up 2 cup sizes (no exaggeration) went rock hard and very painful and leaked everywhere - right through three layers of clothing. My OH's face: :shock:

Now obviously because I thought I'd have no milk I've been bottle feeding from the beginning but now I feel terribly sad and upset that I may have deprived Connie of the best start she could have had just because I didn't *know* I might be able to.

I am aware that just because I'm leaking milk it doesn't mean I'd necessarily have enough btw...

I feel really miserable and in a LOT of pain.

I've now received conflicting sets of advice. The midwife says I should start bfing if I can, and the midwife unit who I phoned said it would be a disaster because babies are lazy and Connie's now used to bottles.

Another factor: she's already eating 4 fl oz every 4-5 hours so wouldn't want to disturb the routine.

I feel in pain and miserable. If I don't bf how long will the pain take to go away completely? :pray:

If you want to breastfeed hun id defo give it a shot if the milks there, can really give any advice though sorry :hug:

if you have milk hun and want to give it a go i would you have nothing to lose and everything to gain :hug:

Can you try Connie on your breast and see if she takes to it.

Your baby will tell your body how much milk it needs so once your established you should supply enough milk.

Maybe try some of her feeds on the breast and some bottle if your worried she wouldnt get enough but she will soon let you know if shes hungry im sure.

Im not much help am i although i would imagine your milk will dry up quite quickly if you carry on with bottles which should take the pain away.

if you feel up to it then why not give it a go :) be aware that it will hurt when you do as you and connie both have to learn how to do it right and your poor boobs aren't used to being sucked and pulled on! but that WILL get better!

a disaster? rubbish - it would be a disaster if you were put off trying something good for connie that you want to do because it might not work :hug: and that best start you mentioned? you're still at the start hon - it's not too late.

Why not try offering the breast 4hourly and then top up with formula? There is no right or wrong way to do it but if it were me I would do this...

Get your 4 oz formula ready and give her a taste so she isn't frantic hungry - then hand express from your breast a little to get the milk flowing and put a little formula on your nipple so it tastes the same for her - then have a good go at breast feeding for 10min or so - if it is working at that time then let her continue until she has had enough before offerign the rest of the formula feed if she wants it. If after 10min it isn't worked - pat yourself on the back for having tried and give the rest of the formula.
Once she has fed try and express for 10min on each breast (it may take a few days to even get an ounce but keep at it) you can use this milk to give her from the bottle to get her used to breast milk and it will help your milk supply.

Then try again next time :)

ps. after you have fed or expressed put a small dab of vaseline on your nipples before putting your bra and pads back - it is less irritating than lasinoh and can prevent your nipples gettign cracked

give it a go... you can only try :hug: :hug: :hug:

if you don't BF it usually takes about 4 days for the boobs to stop hurting... and use cabbage leaves in your bra. was a huge relief for me :lol:

Definitely give it a go hun. I did when my milk came in and didn't have much joy but there are certainly people out there is has worked for.

After this it only took a couple of days for the discomfort to go away, I just wore a bra in bed. MW said that cabbage leaves in your bra help!

if you'd like to breastfeed definately give it a go, u can always go back to formula if it doesnt work out. even a couple breastfeeds would benefit connie. you have nothing to lose.
im managing to breastfeed so far despite having implants :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
if you do stick to formula its nothing to worry about, babies still thrive on it

If you don't try the BF definatly try the cabbage leaves in your bra! I did, cold from the fridge and what a relief :D They have to be savoy cabbages though :lol: It took about a week for my boobs to settle down :hug:

I would definitely give the relactating a go debecca, you've nothing to lose - and if you do, I would definitely advise bedding in with you baby - go to bed with her for 24 hours, sod the visitors, housework etc and just do it - lots of top half skin to skin and lots of DVDs for Mummy!

It really is possible to relactate and it sounds like you are a prime candidate. If it doesn't work, then you haven't lost anything. I would advise to really slow up on the bottles during this period though, even if you feel she's a little bit hungry - she needs to learn to feed from you if she's hungry and will likely want the bottle (its easier to feed from a bottle so she might be lazy at the breast and also formula will fill her up more).

There's some great advice here - good luck and let us know how you get on.

Congratulations on the birth of baby Connie!

Valentine Xxx

i would try her on the breast if yu want to but if u dont and u wanna stick to bottles then it shud subside in about a week or 2, i had mastitus and i had anti biotics but the pain went as soon as i started them. i still have some milk tho coz abigail feeds breast and bottle x

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think if I'd have known this was going to happen I'd have started breastfeeding in the midwife-based centre where they could have helped me get established, but as it is, Connie is such a hungry baby and is already having 4 fl oz every feed, I really don't want to disturb her routine.

As for my boobs, I have never been in so much pain. They are 2 sizes too big for my bra (and mail order would take a few days so not worth buying another), and one of them in particular is just leaking and leaking and leaking...

Also, another question if I may? I am having bad night sweats and chills, like I have an infection. Is this mastitis and will it go away of its own accord?

Thanks again from Bex and Bottlefed-Connie xxx

debecca said:
Also, another question if I may? I am having bad night sweats and chills, like I have an infection. Is this mastitis and will it go away of its own accord?

When I was BF I was having awful night sweats too and waking up soaking wet and chilly :? I think it's just the hormones that do that. If it is mastitis though then u need antibiotics or it'll get worse.

It was mastitis :cry:

I'm on antibiotics now and feeling much better. I think I will try and breastfeed with my next baby (!) because I'm still leaking like Daisy the Cow all the time and it clearly would have been possible.

Hope you are feeling better now you got some antibiotics? Such a shame noone thought to check you over after you had Connie to see if there was any milk after all. :hug:
I would probably feel the same though when you have a routine established, the first few weeks of breast feeding are pretty mixed up anyway, but you could always try expressing a bit and giving it to her as usual in her bottle maybe?

Youre brave talking about the next one already, it took me at least 6 weeks! :lol:

Hope its started to clear up for you. :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Hope it gets better soon :)

if your still leaking is there any way you can express milk - that way connie can have her bottles as and when and it might help relieve your boobs a bit!

xxxxx

aww bex, sorry to hear this happened :hug: such a shame that no one told you there was the possibility of you lactating :wall:

glad you got some anti-bi's for the masitis, i've heard it can be awful :hug:

xxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back