Bleeding nipples and a lot of pain... *update 1*

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
Update at bottom somewhere...

Faith seems to latch on well and sucks well and my milk flows (in fact it pours!) but my nipples are so cracked they are bleeding and they actually bleed in her mouth so that if any milk comes back out it has blood in it!

I have read that the blood will do her no harm but it's also causing me an incredible amount of pain.

I really want to breastfeed but it's making my sob at every feed.

If I express into a bottle for each feed how much should i try?
Will she forget how to breastfeed?
How long shall I give my nipples to heal?

I'm going to hand express because i find this less painful.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Tru nipple shields till they heal

or Lanishol (sp) cream ;)

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Yep give the nipple shields ago hun just to give your nips a little break.

Defo recommend the Lanosih cream, worked wonders for me. Have loads of sachets left if you need any hun.

It was recomended to me not to express till about six weeks so that the milk supply had chance to establish.

I can remember how painful it was in those early days, i would cry in pain every time i had to feed Calleigh :cry:
It was toe curling pain. I used to bang my foot on the floor whilst she initially started feeding to distract me from the painful nipples.

I expressed from day 3 because of the pain. We are now starting to breastfeed again because I am finding it very restrictive having to express every 4 hours. The breastfeeding is not perfect but we only started yesterday and it's way better than it was at day 3!

I have a fantastic supply - everything she needs and then some (which either gets thrown out throughout the day as the end of feeds - the last 20ml in the bottle - or from time to time we freeze it).

We've never had nipple confusion. We use 3 types of bottles (Avent, Tommee Tippee and Breastflow), 2 types of dummy, she sucks on her hand, our fingers, anything really :D She's had no confusion going back to the nipple.

Maybe express every other meal to give your nipples a rest but reassure you that she can still latch on. If I were you I'd express for a few days until my nipples had healed but I'm not up for extra pain if there's a way round it. Even now when I know it won't hurt if I put her on properly I am a it scared of breastfeeding and I don't really want to do it. In your situation I would start to dread every feed and that would make each day horrible and depressing. The number one thing for your baby in my opinion is a happy mummy.

If you do decide to express you may need to top up with formula for the first day or so - we did because my supply wasn't enough for her because we hadn't been feeding properly, it's possible if you are feeding properly that won't happen. A bit of formula won't do any harm whatsoever - she'll still be getting all the goodness from your breastmilk and just some more on top of that. And anyway, my brother was exclusively formula fed and he is a sporty fit doctor. Formula is not evil, especially if giving it once in a while (as you express to keep your supply up) means in the long run you breast feed longer because you aren't traumatised by the thought of putting your baby to the breast then there's no problem. I remember being a bit upset because OH had given Gabrielle a bottle of formula in the night instead of waking me to express and telling the midwife about this. She said it was far better for me to have got that sleep that I needed! After a little bit of expressing you get nicely ahead with the bottles in the fridge so you don't need to worry about having a crying hungry baby and no milk. We still have ready made formula in the cupboard just in case, but I have over a pint frozen and about the same in the fridge :D

I think at the age your LO is, Gabrielle was on about 75ml a feed of breastmilk, but that might not be right. We always just gave her as much as she wanted. Now she has about 130ml a feed, sometimes 160ml if she's really hungry or thirsty and she's been having that much since around 4 weeks. Each baby is different though and will ned and want different amounts.

Sorry that I've gone on so much! I hope it helps.

Good luck!
:hug: :hug:

Haven't got any answers for you as i'm in same position (altho doesn't sound as bad as you) just wanted to give you some :hug: :hug: :hug: xxxx

I would try the nipple shields first. Hang in there hun, it will be painfree after a couple weeks :hug: :hug: :hug:

awww I\m sorry you're having so much trouble. As people have said, give nipple shields a try. :hug:

by the way I love the name Faith Lily, it's beautiful :)

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
THANKYOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!
You're comments have been great!

Kalia - you're a star! You've made me feel SO much better and made me a lot calmer about expressing. Faith has been fed expressed breast milk all day today and tomorrow I will work at building a supply when I can so that if at any point I can't take the pain I know she can still be fed. I'm going to wait until morning and let her latch on for a feed to see how it goes.

What this as made me realise is that I was SO stressed and dreading her waking up because I know she'd want feeding and I just couldn't cope.

I'm quite shy but I hope to ask the midwife when I see her on Wednesday to check how she is latching on and to see if it's the right way.

Kalia - how did you express - i have a pump but have been hand expressing...

I've always used a pump. I used to use a manual but after a few weeks (baring in mind I was expressing every feed and not even offering the breast) my hand was sore so I got an electric one. I often hand express at the same time as using the electric pump (I squish my boob when the pump is sucking) to speed things up.

I've only just been back on this thread - I hope you are feeling much better now :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Keep us updated on how things are going!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: I know exactly how you feel- i can still remember the dread of her feeding and the toe curling pain- its why i stpped breastfeeding :oops: I really regret it now :cry:

PLEASE don't give up- try Lasinoh- it helped a bit a nipple shields helped too.

The pain will go away- look at all the women on here who've done so well with boo feeding. it gets easier :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back