Blw and milk?

hopefulmummy

Reaction score
How many milk feeds should lo be having? I'm sticking to a routine of breastfeeds at 7 am, 11:30, 3:30 and 6:30. But how will I know when A is ready to drop one of these? I know they need most of their nutrition from milk before 1, but I'm doing these times so I know he won't be to hungry to eat his meals. I'm confused.

I did tw so a bot different but i just let my lo be my guide iykwim... He had night feeds until he was 8months old. I think he will let u know when he is ready to drop a feed thats what my lo did. Also from what i gathered, blw babies dont tend to eat as much as tw babies (at first anyway obviosuly wit purees and ypurts etc you are in contral of spoon feeding where as blw choose what to eat if aythng)iykwim, its mainly about touch, texture, playimg etc, so id give him as much milk as he wants!

Last edited:
This is the thing - he's def eating, sometimes I wonder where it all goes. So I dont want to be shoving milk on him if he's already stuffed!!!!

Holly has been taking all her normal feeds alongside starting blw. She does eat little bits, as the nappies have shown us! She has still taken mostly full feeds though.

I think he will deffo let u know when he doesnt want milk!

I guess I'm thinking that because it's boob and not
Bottle he may love the cuddles and closeness and comfort e gets from the boob, rather than actually needing the milk....

Could be comforting for him. Holly is ff and takes full bottles even when we know she has eaten bits. How long have you been blw?

I'm doing blw and bottle feeding my LO. Only in the past couple of days has he shown signs of dropping a feed. He's started to reject his bedtime bottle because he's too full from his tea. He's still sleeping through though so he's obviously not hungry. I spoke to my HV today and she said to reduce the feed he has around 4pm so he's a bit hungrier for his bedtime bottle but I'm still reducing his milk intake. He'll let you know when he's ready to drop a feed.

It's hard to remember what my eldest did but think she dropped the afternoon feed first. I used to just give her a snack instead and then she would have dinner around 430 which she still does now. She then soon after dropped the mod morning feed. Fairly sure age had dropped both before 10 months. She then just had her morning and bedtime milk in a cup which she still has.

Last edited:
My LO is bf and BLW, and if I try boobing her when she's not hungry for it she just has a little bit then messes on - don't worry about shoving milk on him as he'll just mess about and not take it if he doesn't want it x

Thankyou everyone. I think I also get a bit panicky....for example we go to a music class on Friday at 11:50 and I think he has to feed before then otherwise hell be cranky as his lunch will be a TAd late. I guess he's not even 8 months yet, so I'll watch out for signs that he taking less
And Go From There. I'm going to miss all the feeds!!! Gives me an excuse to sit
Down and watch telly!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back