Bloods!!

kimmumof2

Reaction score
hi everyone i had a midwife appointment yesterday and everything was fine. i was supposed to have my boods done but she sent me up the hospital as she was unable to get any out of me(?!!?) i was just if anyone else didnt seem worried about the results. i know some women get really worried but i dont think i am. is this normal? i dont think i would have any other tests anyway becus of the risks and only had the boods done so any problems could be anticipated. does this sound stupid to anyone? also can anyone tell me fully what the test find or whether they just work out risk. i know they look for spina bifida and downs syndrome but what do they exactly find out? thanks sorry for the long post xxxx

Hi

I was like you in that we decided not to have any further tests as it wouldnt affect what we would do anyway other than maybe to be more prepared.

i am not sure exactly how they find out but they just put you into low and high risk category well thts what they do here.

I was lucky as i got a letter to say i was low risk.

Good luck and glad you aren't worried!

Hi, I think it's a good thing your not worrying over things like that. Little point worrying over things you have no control over. I decided not to have my bloods taken as looking at the stats it just seemed like the percentage of high risk women who went on to have normal babies was so low I thought it was just gonna cause worry for nothing. :wave:

Hi

I was never worried about it , but got them done anyways :)
Katrina

kimheath said:
hi everyone i had a midwife appointment yesterday and everything was fine. i was supposed to have my boods done but she sent me up the hospital as she was unable to get any out of me(?!!?) i was just if anyone else didnt seem worried about the results. i know some women get really worried but i dont think i am. is this normal? i dont think i would have any other tests anyway becus of the risks and only had the boods done so any problems could be anticipated. does this sound stupid to anyone? also can anyone tell me fully what the test find or whether they just work out risk. i know they look for spina bifida and downs syndrome but what do they exactly find out? thanks sorry for the long post xxxx

Was you told what tests the blood samples were needed for? If it was for Down's Syndrome and spina bifida testing, and you're not worried about the result, then that's OK, it's up to you whether you want these test conducted or not anyway. They normally use factors like your age, a measurement of the back of the baby's neck (from the scans) and the presence of certain factors within the blood sample to calculate your risk of having a baby with DS or SB. The result is usually expressed as a low or high risk, and a ratio may be supplied. If you are found to have a high risk, then further testing is offered.

However, if the blood tests was for routine antenatal blood testing, which can detect things like low iron levels and risk of diabetes, then it's important to get these done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back