Biting :0(

Rubys mummy

Reaction score
Picked Ruby up from nursery tonight, and the mangeress said she need to talk to me...she said it was bad and asked me to take a seat (I was TERRIFIED by this point :( )

She then said Ruby had bitten two kiddies today :cry: I asked if she had hurt them and she said "yes". I just burst into tears I was so mortified. I asked what would happen now-would they ask me not to bring her back again???? They said they would keep an eye on it but I am so upset....

A few of the nursery nurses then came in and were so shocked to see me upset :oops: but they reassured me, sating it was "just a phase" and they told me how much they loved Ruby, and what a litte angel she is

Is it a phase? I am so upset about the whole thing :cry: :cry:

I think her teeth are hurting at mo-she has 8 now but keeps pulling on her gums and is unsettled at night so I think they are giving her gip??

Austin's a bit younger but he bites loads. Usually he only bites me but he's tried biting his cousin (who's nearly 6 months) and Grandmas too. I think sometimes he's trying to kiss, other times he's looking for the reaction.

It's really hard if she doesn't bite around you, as you can't really do anything about it. Usually when Austin bites I just put him on the floor & turn my back for a few seconds, which he hates. I don't know if it's doing any good but I'm going to keep at it and see if it makes a difference.

Next time you see the nursery nurses ask them what they do when she bites - is she getting a reaction? If you say she doesn't do it at home and you're not sure what you can do to stop her they may have some advice or be able to help.

Just remember, she's NOT doing it to be malicious, she doesn't understand that it's wrong. Don't blame yourself, you're a fantastic mummy. :hug:

Hope that helps a little bit, I have a feeling I've waffled a bit!

Thanks you SO much for the reply :hug: :hug: ...

She used to bite me when she was younger and first teething but only me, no one else and I have always been strict by saying "NO!" and making her know its naughty...

This was totally out of the blue really but forgot to say we called into my sisters on way home from nursery and she was playing with my niece Olivia who is 10 weeks older than Rubes...twice Ruby grabbed her hand and went to bite it, I was luckily next to her so grabbed her hand, and said "NO!" thats naughty you DONT bite people....she looked very serious afterwards.

Please tell me she will grow out of it? :pray:

I dont need her to get an ASBO and be barred from nursery :(

I think the only thing you can do is exactly what you're doing - if you catch her doing it let her know it's not acceptable. I've tried saying no to Austin but he just laughs at me & does it again :roll: but if that works for Ruby I'd keep doing it.

I'm sure it's just a phase and as she gets older she'll understand that it's wrong. :hug: The nursery shouldn't ban her, if it happens again try talking to the manager again and asking her what she expects you to do & maybe set out an action plan so that they react the same way you do - that way she's getting a consistent reaction & is more likely to take notice. :hug:

Your not alone, I have never experienced Kai biting other kids, what I had was him pulling a little girls hair a year older than him in January and he had bits of her hair in his hand, I still get upset thinking about it.

But the reason most likely is to be the teething, if you know there is a reason, it makes the situation a little easier to handle.

What you need is consistency, what did they do with Ruby afterwards? You all need to be consistent in how you deal with her when it happens.

Kai is older and understands a lot more, as soon as he does something with an other kid, we go straight, no warnings nothing, I feel that is the only way of getting through to him. But I am near enough sure this is all because he his behind with his talking and that does make me feel a little better.

I don't send Isaac to a nursery yet where I'm not with him but if I were you I'd ask the people who run the nursery what they do and say to kids when they bite or hurt other children then just keep echoing that at home, thats if you agree with their methods, if not tell them how you'd like them to deal with it. If you are disciplining your LO in a totally diferent way to how the nursery do it then your LO will just get confused and probably take no notice of anyone. Its all very well for them to call you in and make you feel terrible but they have to take some responsibility too, afterall you leave your LO in their care and its not all about playing and singing songs and being good. They have to take the rough with the smooth the same as you and if you are working together to help stop behaviour issues like biting and hair pulling then its just a case of perseverence and consistency. She isn't going to stop biting overnight, its something she has found she can do so now its a reaction for her and a little habit she needs to get out of.

good luck :hug:

I wouldn't worry to much as i'm sure it's just a phase. I have heard of quite a few children going through phases of biting, pulling hair etc. I think if Ruby knows it's wrong to bite she will hopefully stop doing it soon.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Nathans going through a biting phase now. He usually does it in temper though, trying to wipe his face ect. He will grab your arm and shake and try to bite. Aimee went through it to but not till she was almost 2 and it lasted a couple of months.

aww sorry no advice hun- iv still got all this type of stuff yet to come! but sounds like u need a hug. :hug:

aww sorry no advice hun- iv still got all this type of stuff yet to come! but sounds like u need a hug. :hug:

i used to be a biter at nursery too...when kids used to pick on other kids lol...needless to say i ever got picked on lol.
o advice hun but i grew out of it :)

i used to be a biter at nursery too...when kids used to pick on other kids lol...needless to say i ever got picked on lol.
o advice hun but i grew out of it :)

Not being funny hun but wasn't the manageresses reactiuon a little ummm hard handed? Ruby is only 13 months old, if she was like 3 and biting and it was a common occurence then yes but she's a baby still and they are the professionals who should be able to deal with it. I think a better approach would have been to casually mention it to you and to say what they do to stop her, I just think sitting you down like that was a tad rough :?

Not being funny hun but wasn't the manageresses reactiuon a little ummm hard handed? Ruby is only 13 months old, if she was like 3 and biting and it was a common occurence then yes but she's a baby still and they are the professionals who should be able to deal with it. I think a better approach would have been to casually mention it to you and to say what they do to stop her, I just think sitting you down like that was a tad rough :?

Minime said:

I agree! No wonder you got so upset!
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Minime said:

I agree! No wonder you got so upset!
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Minime said:

I thought that too! Lots of babies got through this. Stanley did it for a while too. I got to the stage where I'd panic if I saw him leaning towards a playmate as I thought he was going to bite them!

It stopped as soon as it started though, and am sure it will with Ruby too :hug:

Minime said:

I thought that too! Lots of babies got through this. Stanley did it for a while too. I got to the stage where I'd panic if I saw him leaning towards a playmate as I thought he was going to bite them!

It stopped as soon as it started though, and am sure it will with Ruby too :hug:

I don't know what the manageress expects Zoe to do, take Ruby home and give her a stern talking to and send her to bed with no supper :?

alice went through a stage of bitting... I bit back (not hard!!!!). she went through a stage of slapping. I would 'slap' back (again, more of a pat). i think it was enough for her to realise it wasn't nice (well she seemed to stop).

now she is throwing tantrums, and i think i would look a bit silly throwing a tantrum at my age!!!!

I agree with speaking to the manageress about what they do after she has done it. It needs to be the same reaction that you do, so it is consistent. But if it is teething, they need to know and offer her something to sooth her gums instead of other little kiddies!!!!

apart from bitting... how is ruby in nursery? im tempted to put alice in for one day a week and the rest of the week with my mum so alice gets used to other kiddies, but i love the fact my mum has her full attention!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back