bit confused about car seats

samanthajayne

Reaction score
with the pram i bought i have a rear facing car seat with it suitable from birth to 12-15 months. are all car seats for newborns rear facing and then you change them to forward facing after a year or so? just i never liked the idea of rear facing. so does this mean baby can only sit in the front of the car as it would be a bit horrible to put baby in the back of the car facing away from me while driving. i'm just so confused about all this. boy can you tell i'm a first time mum who knows absolutely nothing at all :cry: help!!!!! :lol:

Hi, yes they are all rear facing from birth up to around a year. I had Jack in the back and I know how you feel but its not really that bad.

Im not sure if rear facing ones are allowed in the front, but I know if they are the passenger seat has to either have no air bag or you have to turn the air bag off.

Sorry i couldnt be more help. Places like halfords, mothercare and mamas and papas will be able to advice you.

You can put the baby in the front in a rear facing car seat so long as there is do air bag/ air bags are deactivated. I might be wrong but I think they are safer in the back though. They shouldn't be put in a front facing seat when they are born.
Most babies will grow out of rear facing seats and move to a front facing one before 15 months as they get pretty big. You can get special mirrors for the car that enable you too see baby when they are in the back- I think I've seen these in the Blooming Marvellous catalouge.

It's all so confusing all this baby stuff :?

Alex xxx

that is really helpful thankyou for your replies.

our cars haven't got airbags but i will check about baby being allowed in the front just to be sure and i'll have to get some of those special mirrors as i just can't bear the thought of not being able to see him in the back.

If you havnt got passenger air bags then its ok to put baby in the front, however i personally will still be putting Tally in the back, its safer, i also thing she'll be a distraction in the front and if i crash she's more liekly to be hurt as my car isnt exactly new and safe

IIRC by law you have to have rear facing car seats till a certain age/weight for baby. Airbags have to be disabled if using a rear facing car seat in the front. But tbh, the safest place for baby in a car seat is in the back seat. Tests/studies have proven this.

Rear facing is actually safer than forward facing with regards to impact/accident fwiw.

You can buy a mirror if you feel you need to so as to be able to see your LO in the back when rear facing.

Have a read of these sites if unsure about what is what for baby's :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4781511.stm

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

There is also a UK site on rear facing car seats that might be worthwhile you looking up. I found it very informative and useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back