Birth Plan?

Rachaellius

Reaction score
Anyone written theirs yet? I really need to do mine but don't know where to start.
Anyone got a copy of theirs they'd like to share to help us get started or know what to include? :)
x x

Jomc put some really good examples up the other day, either in tri3 or pregnancy chat :) x

I have downloaded a template from the Internet just got to fill it in

I don't intend to write anything, except perhaps some very basic things, like having a waterbirth. It's much too likely for the plan to go completely awry.

I really have no idea how I'm going to cope and, realistically speaking, the most important thing I have planned is to try and stay calm and not panic.

Well I don't see how I can plan something as unpredictable as Child Birth. I'll have my wishes in regards to Vitamin K and Placental delivery etc but TBH i'm happy with whatever the hospital suggest will be right! and If I want it, i'll take any pain relief going lol!

I don't intend to write anything, except perhaps some very basic things, like having a waterbirth. It's much too likely for the plan to go completely awry.

I really have no idea how I'm going to cope and, realistically speaking, the most important thing I have planned is to try and stay calm and not panic.

Well that's one thing I DON'T want. Didn't like the look of the big bath lol! I'm a bit funny about things like that, I can't stand showering or anything in public showers, and I'm dreading having to shower in the hospital end of!

I have written that I wish to be advised by the health professionals due to severe SPD
And that I want oh there and he wishes to cut cord if possible.
Also that I want LO to have the vit k injection

My oh always said no but announce the other night he does! So he may change his mind hun

See thats the thing isnt it there's so many things you might change your mind on at the last minute isnt there :/ hmm.
I'm hoping for a water birth too ISH but my hospital only has one pool so it depends whether its available at the time x

Hiya, heres what I put in mine: dont think of it as a plan as nothing ever goes to plan... think of it as a wishlist with requests for certain things should/if they happen. We were advised in our class to do one purely cos ur head will be all over the place and if ur asked a question that needs a quick response you may not be in the right frame of mind or your OH will have to make a decision and its best he knows ur feelings in advance:

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]This plan is a reflection of my wishes for the birth but is in no way inflexible. I understand that for many reasons my plans may need to change to suit the needs of myself and my baby[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Birth Partner[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – I would like my husband Andy to be with me at all times. Should I not be in a position to make an informed decision, I will trust his judgement to do what he feels is best for myself and the baby. I have no problem having supervised medical students involved in the birth.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Mobility[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – I would like to be as mobile as possible during labour and free to try various positions for both first and second stage. Ideally I would like to remain as upright as possible to allow gravity to take its course.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Coaching[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – I would appreciate being informed of what is happening during my labour and having all processes explained to me before they are undertaken. Should myself and/or Andy need to make a decision regarding intervention I would appreciate reasons, all alternate options and amount of time available to make a decision being explained in advance.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Pain Relief[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – I have a TENS machine which I would like to use for as long as it is effective. In addition I would like to have access to gas and air[/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]and if possible a pool or bath for further pain relief for as long as possible. I understand only gas and air is available to me in The Birth Place however I am not against having an epidural and understand I would need to be transferred to the maternity unit to have this if I can no longer cope with the pain using previously mentioned methods. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Second Stage[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – Gentle support and firm guidance on when to push and how to minimize any damage through tearing would be appreciated. I would like to be advised if an episiotomy seems necessary and all efforts made to avoid this being the case. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Intervention -[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]If assistance is needed, I trust the experience of the staff as to whether a forceps or suction is needed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Theatre[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – If it is absolutely necessary to undergo a c-section I would like Andy with me. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Post Birth[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – I would like the baby to be [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]and have skin-to-skin contact for as long as possible. If for any reason the baby cannot be given to me for skin to skin contact, I would like the baby to be given straight to Andy for this. We would like to take photographs. [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]If there are complications with the baby I would like Andy to stay with it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Umbilical Cord[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – If possible, p[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]lease wait until the umbilical cord has stopped pulsating before allowing it to be cut.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] Please ask Andy if he wishes to cut the cord.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Placenta[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I have no problems with drugs being used to help deliver this if necessary. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Vitamin K[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – I would like vitamin K to be administered to the baby via injection.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Feeding[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] – For medical reasons on my side (milk duct malformations) I will be bottle feeding the baby and will have my own formula/bottles with me. [/FONT]

my OH doesn't want to cut the cord either :roll:

i came into the thread to recommend jomc's list but i was beat to it x

Thanks girls... but u have NCT to thank for it haha!

I pretty much took my birth plan from the one you suggested Jomc :hug: thanks! x

my OH doesn't want to cut the cord either :roll:

i came into the thread to recommend jomc's list but i was beat to it x

Mine has gone from saying that he defo didn't want to, to I dunno. So I think I'm going to.do as jomc has done and request that they ask him at the time.
You never know with the emotion of it all and such he may change his mind :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back