Bigger babies!

Lynseysg

Reaction score
So went to see the midwife last week and she had a good feel of my bump and said its all baby and that she thinks it'll be a big one!! She then asked about my weight when born and my partners. We are both quite tall so I suppose it was inevitable it was going to be a bigger baby.

I was just wondering if any one else had any experience of if this makes much difference when giving birth..... I'm doing hypnobirthing classes So am quite chilled about everything, but would like to know of anyone's past experience??

Thank u
X

I have no idea about bigger babies.. I've only had a small baby at 4lb 10oz, and this one is small to, weighing around 3lb 13oz.. Hope someone can give you some answers!

i have no idea how having a bigger baby would make labour different but i may find out. My dd was 7lb 3 when she was born and at a 30 week scan they estimated the weight of this one at 4lb 13oz (i know this can be really wrong)
when i spoke to my consultant he said judging by the measurements of legs etc she is not going to be small but she may be a long baby he said its harder if its a chunky baby and to limit the amount of refined sugar as that is what makes the baby chunky

When I went for my scan I was told that the baby was huge and would weigh between 4.5 - 4.75 KG. This totally freaked me out, I mean I was considering stopping eating!! (Really not thinking straight. Midwife told me that the people who do the scans don't really know what they are talking about and said did not feel huge to her.

End result was a slightly heavy 4KG son, no complications and no C-section which what really worried me at the time. Till she/he arrives it's difficult to tell. But don't do what I did and panic.

I dont have any past experience as this is my first but try not to panic, especially if you are doing the hypnobirthing as it will undo everything you've been taught!!! I've been told to cut down on the carbs and sugar etc so mine isnt too big, although he is already a long baby, his thigh bones made the sonographer gasp at my 20 week scan as they were longer than average, but tbh I'm not thinking too hard about what that will be like to push out, as I'm doing the hypnobirthing too so trying to stay calm and positive about the birth!!!!

My SIL had a 9lb baby and she almost had a natural birth with no pain relief all the way through, but it turned out his head was just too big so she had to have an unexpected cesarean right at the very end, but that was nothing to do with his size or weight it was a skull vs pelvis thing and would have been the same outcome whatever he had weighed!!

Thanks for the info.

I'm not panicking I just wondered if it made much difference. When she felt my bump she said she thought it was big.... I assumed she could only feel length ie it'll be a long baby.... But maybe I'm wrong.

It was the home birthing mw so I assume she didn't see it as a problem.... I was just intrigued to know if it made a difference to birthing.

What will be will be :)
X

My last baby was 10lb 14oz. I had a normal delivery with no stitches but I do remember it being hard work to push him out. My second baby was 9lb 13oz, they seem to be going up a pound so I am dreading oushing this one out. Also at my 20 wk scan they said my baby was big then which is worrying. I have a scan at 32 wks so I'm hoping it was a mistake.

Hi hun, just wanna say my mw said Noa was a big baby, he came out 7lbs3oz, so don't rely to much on.what the mw say :hugs:

hiya.. i was 10lb 10 when i was born, and my first baby was 8lb 3. With my 2nd the midwife felt my tummy and said it was a big baby... when she was born she was 8lb 11.5 so not a great deal bigger than my first. I pushed for over an hour with the first and only 6 mins with the second even though she was bigger (although i was induced 1st time and not the 2nd!)

Think it's the same as alot of things in pregnancy - everyone is different.. you'll get people that say that delivering bigger babies is easier and some who say the opposite - everyone's labour is so different and thus so are their experiences of what they thought of the birth.

Hope you're hypnobirthing goes well... i did that with my first pregnancy and it really helped me relax (although i was induced in the end so opted for epidural etc which wasn't what i hoped for) but i still think it helped me mentally prepare and deal with the labour pains. With my 2nd i didn't do the hypno and wished I had... i went from 1cm to giving birth within 3 hours which i still can't believe now and i bet hypno would have helped! I just expected to have to be induced again so it kind of took me by surpise when i went naturally and only had time for gas and air!!!

My first was 9 pound second was ten pound 5 1/2 second was mire sore but if u listen to the mw n push when told its not so bad i had no stitches either time but was really swollen second time round x

I'm not pg yet but my 1st son whos 15 in sept was 9lb 12oz, my 2nd son whos 13 was 8lb 12oz and my 3rd son whos 10 next week was 6lb 9lb and he was 3 weeks early.

Aoibheann was 9lb , I would just advice you to listen to the Mw , when they say stop pushing and pant baby out with small pushes they are doing to to stop you hurting yourself xx

Thanks for the info!!!

I suppose you just have to take what the mw says with a bit of a pinch of salt then. We will see - im not going to let it trouble me - i was just intrigued to know of others experience.

When i have read other things it was generally that it doenst make much difference so wanted to ask for that reason really.

Hypnobirthing has really helped already, im such a worrier and i already feel very in control of my feelings regarding the big day. Nobody knows whats gong to happen but all i can do is go into it in the best frame of mind i can for me - and if things dont go how i hope they do at least i hope ill be more relaxed.

I just cant wait to meet my bump xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back