BF question from a new Mom

Mrs. KM

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My LO is almost 3 weeks old. I planned on BFing from the start. She latches really well, but from the first day had been feeding constantly. After 3 days the docs figured out my milk wasnt coming in and that is why she was never satisfied, so they put me on meds to help it come in and told me to top her up with formula because she was losing too much weight. We have continued bfing her and then topping her up for a couple weeks and now I am trying to cut out formula. The thing is I'm still not sure that I have enough milk. The last three days I have only been Bfing during the day and she is attached to me all day. Sometimes she eats well and can go an hour before another feeding, but most of the tine she eats for ten minutes then falls asleep, but wakes up in 15 or 20 mins hungry again. When we give formula she can last up to three hours between feeds. Has anyone else gone through this? Or does anyone have advice?

I breast fed with top ups for the first 5 days. But then went solely to bf. he did feed for ages at a time initially, usually 45 mins per go. Try keeping baby in just her nappy to encourage her to suck for longer. The more she feeds the more milk you'll get, so keep at it x

Yep I think this is normal for bf babies, most bf babies seem to be hungry all the time, mine was a grazer he'd feed on and off all day, some days I'd be stuck in a chair feeding him for 9 hours at a time, when he was newborn he'd only go about 20 mins between feeds its just the nature of bfing and doesn't necessarily mean you aren't producing enough milk, some babies just like to cluster feed, plus breast milk is digested much faster than formula so this is why they don't go as long between feeds. As mines got older he can go 2 hrs between feeds now sometimes more, so they do get better but those first few newborn weeks just be prepared to do nothing but feed lol!!! Also some feeds are just for comfort and not always cos baby is hungry and sometimes they cluster feed to help your supply increase, I know if I've had a day where I don't feel I've had much milk then the next day lo stays on for hours to boost it again, I think its their instinct!!

Defo try and cut out the formula if you can as it will reduce your milk supply, the more baby suckles on you the more milk you produce, whereas if baby is full on formula they don't need to feed and so your body thinks you don't need the milk.

Don't worry your doing great by the sounds of it xx

Last edited:
My midwife told me that's it's natures way of making you rest after giving birth. Make the most of it, the first 6 weeks I did nothing around the house just sat and fed. Plonk yourself on the sofa with the remote a bottle of water, some choccies and make the most of it as in a matter of months you'll be running around after LO!

I breasted with top hops in the hospital for similar reasons milk didn't come through til day 7! Unfortunately this ruined my milk production and I had to stop at 2 weeks. No one told me to express whilst giving top up so it didn't u receipt milk production.

I was also told that breast feeding at night was good for milk as that's when the hormone for milk production is released. Particularly between 3-6am and that be a time my baby was more hungry

:)

yeah it's normal for BF babies to be latched on all the time, they are encouraging milk to come in, which the process varies in different woman, for me it was 5 days!!! And then once milk is in they are building your supply up. My LO was pretty much attached me to constantly for about 8 weeks! Then it gradually goes longer between feeds.

Sounds normal to me if you're trying to cut out formula. It wont last long and all this sucking will make your milk catch up, only a few days if your LO is anything like mine.

Can't help but think your drs were a bit hasty to put you on meds and top ups after only 3 days, seems it might have done more harm than good.

Thanks everyone! I actually waited a week and a half before starting the meds. Initially i would breastfeed for an hour then top her up with formula and pump every time she got formula. She was losing too much weight so i didnt really have a choice. The meds really do seem to work. Last night when I pumped I got more than a few drops for the first time! And this morning I only breastfed and she has now been napping for an hour! :)

That is pretty much how I found bf to start with!! I now realise that some of his cries were tired cries and not hungry cries which meant I wasnt constantly feeding him but some days you just have to run with what they want especially when they are going through a growth spurt!!
Keep at the bf and try not to top up unless you think it is really necessary as the babies sucking stmulates more milk for the next day so if you let them ff then you might miss out on this sucking!!
xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back