Urgent help needed

crackers24

Reaction score
My LO was born 10 days ago and i was determined to breastfeed. I started feeding her about 2 hours after she was born. MW suggested i give baby a top up so she would settle at night, so i took her advice.

Now i'm feeding LO breastmilk + top up. The problem is that i'm BFing for 1-2 hours at a time and LO is sucking away and falling asleep for a minute then wanting more milk. After 2 hours of BFing she still has 30-60ml of formula milk.The toe-curling pain has gone but its still painful when she sucks. Is 1 or 2 hours too long for BFeeding?

I don't know how to tell how much she's drinking or if she's drinking at all. :wall: I dont know what to do i'm beginning to get so stressed out. I feel like crying everytime it's time for a feed. :(

I have an appointment with MW on Wednesday but I would really appreciate some help from anyone who has any idea whats going on. Please help.

Im sure one of the bf girls will be able to answer this better but from what I have read I would say that at the stage you are at, 1-2 hours sounds kinda right till its all established.

Keep checking your posts, one of the other girls will keep you right, you sound like you are heading in the right direction :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm afraid 1-2 hours is perfectly normal! I remember sitting from 8am till 11am once during a growth spurt!

:hug: :hug:

Kim x x x x x

Yup sometimes its just like that, my LO is 8 weeks today and has dne nothing but eat all day from 09.00am (prob earlier as we co-seep and she is still on my boob now.

DH had her for 1/2 an hour and she screamed SO much and ate her fist like she was starving! I knoW how hard it is but it does get better especially once your out of the toe curling stage.

If you want to keep BF go with the flow... if you know sometimes your going to have days like thiis it makes it abit easier :hug:

You could try a dummy to see if she takes to that? I have been putting one in Esmes mouth today and its pacified her for very short bursts but it gives my poor nips a break

Its not unusual for a newborn to be feeding for an hour at a time or so, but if she is there 2hours or more then Id say theres a good chance that at least half that time is probably just comfort sucking :think: Watch her carefully when she feeds, you should be able to see/hear her gulping or swallowing when she is actually drinking, whereas if she is sucking for comfort it will be a shallower motion more like nibbling and no swallowing. The chances are that she is probably feeding for 10/20 minutes then dozing off, and might do this 2 or 3 times. Its very normal, but its up to you to train her not to. As soon as she stops swallowing, you can either stimulate her by rubbing her feet/hands or changing position, or you can stick your finger in there and break the latch. If she really is still hungry she will root around for your boob again and you can resume feeding, or if not she may be content to sleep. This might also count for the pain you feel, cos if she is just comfort sucking she will just nibble on your nipple and this will make it sore. Do you have a breastfeeding cafe in your area you can attend, or helpful mw/hv who can watch you feed and help you with it? They will be able to spot whether she is feeding effectively or just using you as a dummy :roll:

As for the top-ups, you probably dont even need them. If you offer them after every feed then sooner or later your baby will rely on it and not only will it affect your milk supply, but baby will start to fuss on the boob and will hold out for the formula as she doesnt have to work so hard to get it! It depends really on your will to breastfeed and how resolutely you want to stick with it. If you are happy to give her formula then its not a problem obviously. But if you intend to continue bf and exclusively then I would cut out the top-ups altogether x :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug:
Congrats on the birth of your LO :D

In the early weeks you will find LO will live on your boobs, this is all normal. Baby is learning how to feed and all this suckling will establish a good supply.
If you are still finding her sucking painful maybe have the midwife check your latch as you really shouldnt be feeling any discomfort whilst feeding or type in breastfeeding latch on youtube and there are some videos that may help you.

I am not sure why the MW thought you needed to top up LO especially as it is very important to get your supply established, could you possibly cut this out and go back to exclusively breastfeeding. Well i can see why she would suggest it - formula milk is heavier and harder to digest than breastmilk and therefore baby will go longer before needing feeding again.

If you would like to get back to breastfeeding exclusively I can suggest a few things that might help.
Have a few days in bed or on the couch with baby having free access to you for as long as she wants to feed. Lots of skin to skin contact. This will help bring up your milk supply. You could watch a few dvds or get a good book to read. Have plenty of fluids and food to snack on also.
Oats i found was a good milk booster for me.

If she comes away from the breast still unsatisfied keep swopping sides until she is full. Your breasts wont 'empty' of milk, baby just has to work harder to get it.
As for quantities, i wouldnt worry, let your baby guide you on what she needs.

I know that some of the girls have said that you can tell whether baby is comfort sucking or not by hearing the gulps of milk going down, but i have to say in the early weeks i couldnt tell so dont panic if you cant. I the later weeks i could definately tell the difference. Calleigh used to comfort suck but sometimes i just let her (she would never take a dummy) babies do tend to stop the comfort sucking as they get older anyway.

Breastfeeding is hard work but its all worth it i promise, give us a shout if you need any advice :) :hug:

how is her wieght gain, if that is going well i'd say you have nothing much to worry about.

Up to you if you want to cut out the top up, if you want to BF it might be best. but you know your baby better than a HV or midwife.

Sandi

midna said:
When people talk about the big P in breastfeeding being Perseverance thats just it.. especially for a new mum to breastfeeding its challenging mentally and physically. Expect your baby to be attatched for Id say about 8 weeks constantly and drop the formula if you want to breastfeed sucessfully..it might make them sleep longer but thats only because its not easily absorbed like breastmilk, there lil bellies are so porous at this young age and although formula provides a food its not the perfect food like the breastmilk is...easily absorbed for an extremely immature gut. The best thing you can do is get aload of dvd`s and stuff and live in bed or on a sofa with your baby for the next 6-7 weeks. It sounds like a long time but its over in a blink and such a small time to sacrifice to make sure your baby gets the absolute best. Your MW is a tw*t tbh for even suggesting formula. Instead she should of clued you up on gettin the maximum sleep possible by co-sleeping, its a lifeline in the early days totally safe and natrual and you wont be "making a rod for your own back". Eat and drink lots, drop the formula, relax and this will get better I promise. xxxxx If you need more support PM me. xxx

what midna said!!! good to have you back mids :wink: :wink:

i can't really add anything to that TBH, only to reassure you that it does get a hell of a lot easier in time and will almost certainly become one of the most wonderful things you've ever done in your life. the early days are a killer, but they pass so quickly in retrospect... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm 5 weeks into BFing and have had a horrible time but I stuck to it and it gets easier all of the time.

Use all the support networks that you can................... the girls on here are fabulous, MWs and helplines all are more than willing to help.

Stick with it, you're doing an amazing job :hug: :hug:

I know everyone's said i should not give top up formula milk and i really don't want to but LO was so hungry, she hadnt slept for 5 hours cos she wasn't getting her fill from breastmilk. Poor thing was soooo tired and fell asleep straight after her formula milk.

Have i done something bad? I think i know the answer to that :(

crackers24 said:
I know everyone's said i should not give top up formula milk and i really don't want to but LO was so hungry, she hadnt slept for 5 hours cos she wasn't getting her fill from breastmilk. Poor thing was soooo tired and fell asleep straight after her formula milk.

Have i done something bad? I think i know the answer to that :(

Awww hun :hug: Not something bad, so please don't feel that way. What the others have said is good advice. I think the problem is that giving a top up formula feed is probably not helping so as others have said, drop it and stick to the boob. What happens it giving a formula feed can affect building your supply especially in the early weeks. And it takes your LO away from your boobs where she needs to be sucking and getting your boobs and body to produce the right amount of milk for her. Also formula flows down her throat easier (especially if faster flowing teats on the bottles) and so she doesn't have to put any effort in to drinking it, so of course won't mind that. The thing with breastfeeding is babies have to put some effort in, but the reward is great for both you and baby :)

She might be hungry when needing a feed, and then will fuss and won't take to your boob because it means a bit of effort on her part. If a formula feed follows of course she'll take it and sleep. But breastfeeding is natural and she can do it as she does so the rest of the time. Stick with breastfeeding and in a day or so your LO won't even remember what formula or a bottle was and won't miss it. And given time to settle and get your supply going she'll do fine on the breast. Babies also have growth spurts so will spend more time feeding and sucking at times. Breastfeeding is hard work in the early weeks but if you can tough it out, be stubborn and know that she isn't going to starve if she keeps going on your boob then :)

Often introducing a formula top up feed in the early weeks can really cause problems with establishing breastfeeding and can be the beginning of the end for the boob feeds. So think long and hard if you wish to really breastfeed. I love breastfeeding but it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But now, 6 months plus later its the best thing I've ever done and I love feeding my LO still. It did get easier over time and I held out and avoided top up feeds. I'm a stubborn cow :lol:

This forum is just so helpful. And you guys on here are even more amazing. :clap: Reading all your replies has made me want to wake little Hafsah up and start feeding her :) (but i wont, i think i'll catch up on some sleep while shes asleep).

Your words of advice have been very encouraging and given me so much hope. I really appreciate everyones contribution. :hug: :hug: Thank you sooooo much.

Keep going darling you can do it :clap: just rest up and watch tv and have plenty of skin to skin with a blanket over you both. Get plenty of snacks and enjoy having her close to you. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back