Has anyone gone from combined feeds back to exclusive BF?

Happybunny

Reaction score
Hello! :wave:

Because of a whole load of issues and very slow weight gain, at 9 weeks old, I very reluctantly started giving my daughter 1 bottle of formula a day to supplement the boob milk.

That was three weeks ago, she is now 12 weeks. But on Monday I found blood in her poo. We took her straight to A+E as advised. After lots of tests they concluded that it must be the formula upsetting her digestive tract because of cow milk protein intolerance. They said I should swap brands.

To be honest, I never wanted to give her formula anyway and I certainly don't want to give her anymore - whatever brand it is. I want to go back to exclusive BF.

She hasn't had any formula yesterday or today, but she does appear to be quite fractious and hungry. Was I right to cut it all out straight away, or should I reduce it gradually? Has anyone managed to get back to exclusive BF after supplementing with formula?

(I have tried topping up with expressed breast milk - but I can never get enough between feeds to do this.)

I would really appreciate any help or ideas about this.

I didn't give Dylan formula but I went for around 5 days topping him up with EBM to make sure he was getting enough....everyone was telling me that he wasn't putting on enough weight (wish I hadn't listened now!). Anyway, he was starting to get a bit fussy when I was giving him the boob and I knew he wanted to take it from the bottle because it was less work so I just cut out the bottle altogether. Once he was hungry enough he realised that boob was the only way he was going to get fed so once he done a bit of sucking and spitting it back out, he settled back into the breast-feeding. I would say it's best just to cut out the bottle altogether - she will feed from you when she's hungry. It's hard work but you know what's best xx

Have you tried ringing NCT helpline thingy? They gave me advice about how to increase my milk supply again - but as you know by then it was too late for me, as phoebe was having 4oz top ups!!!!

If you are only giving 1 bottle a day, i'm sure you can get things back on track :hug: :hug:

Poor little April.

Also... swapping brands will not help surely? If its a cow's milk intolerance... they are all made from cow's milk! Unless you swap to Soya, such as wysoy - but I don't think they recommend this for under 6 months now (could be wrong about that).

Always around if you need a chat... xx

I did.... the SCBU introduced formula to lil miss when she was in there and that was a top up after every feed 8x a day... BUt after she came out and we noticed her reflux and colic became 100% worse after the formula we reduced the bottles to one a day then just stopped... I then just let lil miss booby feed constantly all day and every day until she chose to reduce her feeds...you have a few complaints from them at first but boob milk is made on demand and the more your baby stimulates your nipples the more you will produce but you do need to let her feed all the time... pm me if you have any questions..

another one here. Seren was topped up with formula then ended up on 2 bottles a day thanks to shit advice. I persevered, got soem great advice and would just stick Seren on the boob as much as I could, would just lie on the sofa and let her feed. I would only give her the bottle when she had fed off me for a good while. It was really hard but she was exclusiveley breastfeeding fromme just after 2 months.

Hi honey,

I'd definitely support you doing this, sounds like a great idea to get April back onto just boob milk.

I would diagnose a 48 hour period of bedding-in. Basically, I want you to cancel all plans, get lots of food, drinks, DVDs etc and just go to bed with April and do lots of skin-to-skin nakedness (nappy for her though!) and let her feed for however long she wants and as much as she wants for the full 2 days. This will really help up your milk supply and help her forget the bottle.

Good luck Happybunny, let us know how it goes.

Valentine Xxx

What they all said. Just wanted to wish you good luck and you and LO get to bed! :D

Thank you all so much for your advice!! We have been back to exclusive BF'ing for three days now. I am feeding whenever she wants, but she obviously needs more in the evening as she gets REALLY fussy. I am going to take your advice and go on a Babymoon (like a honey moon :) ) and just stay in bed tomorrow and Saturday. We're going to get some magazines and food first thing (I may even drag my laptop out and put on a DVD or two!!) and then settle down for the two days.

I am quite looking forward to it!

Thank you all so much for your advice and support!! I really appreciate it! :hug: :hug:

I will keep you posted! :D

Just to let you know that day one has worked like a charm! We have been in bed most of the day with lots of skin to skin. It was a bit trickier than a few weeks ago as now April wants to play as well as eat and sleep. But we had fun messing about with a few of her toys and singing ryhmes in her wakeful periods.
She has shown no fussiness at all today :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Hopefully a sign that the supply is kicking in again!
She is asleep in my bed at the minute, she will wake twice for feeds through the night and then we are having another lazy day tomorrow!! (Hubby has bought me lots of rubbish magazines and choccy to help it go with a swing!!!) :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Aw HappyBunny, that's brilliant news! I really hope tomorrow goes well too and get OH on duty with lots of cups of tea for you!

Great news, I'm so pleased for you.

Valentine Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back