Best time of day to take lactulose? (Sorry if TMI!)

FirstTimeMa

Reaction score
Sorry if TMI but I've been very blocked up for over a week now :-S have got some lactulose and have read the instructions - just wondered if anyone has any experience of using it and when the best time of day to take it it? Ideally would like things to be moving down there first thing in morning before I go to work... Thank you in advance! X

I use to take it about 6pm.

It has a weird reaction on me though, its suppose to just ease you back to normal.

I would vomit (that looked like poop, TMI sorry) & also have terrible diarrhea. Plus agonizing stomach cramping. Once i thought i was in labor!

Not everyone reacts this way though - Just me so far

I've only tried it twice, i wouldn't bother again, solved it this time by lots of water & grains.

Last edited:
Ooo blimey - will look out for those sort of symptoms! Thanks for response :) the glamours of pregnancy hey? Xx

I expected it to work quickly and it didn't. It was gentle and helped get things moving. But not in a 'I need the loo right now kind of way'.

The only thing I didn't like is I got bad wind with it! Which wasn't ideal at work! So now I only take it if I'm desperate.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Was worried it might kick in suddenly when I'm out and about so good to know it doesn't! Although not good on the wind front - I'm already struggling with that a bit :-S !! X

I take it before I brush my teeth before bed (I hate the syruppy taste!) And I usually go some time the next morning. The good thing about lactulose is that its only sugar, not a chemical laxitive. It acts as a softener instead of senna which I think works by making your bowl contract or something like that(?)
If you dont want diahorrea then make sure to follow the corrwct dose and you should be ok :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back