Belly after birth

crackers24

Reaction score
I gave birth about 6 weeks ago. My mother in-law keeps making comments about my belly being big and i'm thinking 'incase you've forgotten, i have just given birth'. Anyways, it got me thinking how long before i'm back to normal weight wise. Anybody have any idea? Thanks.

That depends on how much weight you have put on, how active you were in pregnancy, how good your diet is and how active you are now. Some people never get back to their original size, some people do with Astonishing Rapidity.

Personally, i was housebound for 4 months, I haven't been properly mobile in well over a year and I put on loads of weight! Over 3 stone. I have lost a stone and still have 2 to lose to my prepregnancy weight. I am seeing a physio now so jopefully I will get back on my feet (pretty much literally!) within the year and lose it all!

If you are eating very healthily and taking baby for big long walks then hopefully it won't be too much longer :hug:

If, like me, you have a special relationship with maltesers and take baby for walks only when it is not raining it will take much longer.

i forgot to say - is she thin? If not ask her right back!

Yes, your tummy is big but pointing it out is rude! And you can tell her that from me :hug:

when i had my son 3 years ago i had to have an emergency section and i dropped 2 stone immediately but i still had a swollen stomach i had to have a blood transfusion and they stuck me on iron tablets i took me 6 weeks after i had ethan to get back on my feet, don't be in a rush to get back to ur pre baby size its not a race you've just had a baby for god sake ur body is still adjusting to not being pregnant anymore and forget what ur mother in-law says

I didn't realise how difficult it would be to lose weight after. I spend majority of the day sitting on my sofa feeding a baby so not getting a chance to exercise much. Everyone is different though but it does need work.

i'm 5 kg less than pre pregnancy weight, but i still think my belly is as big as pre preggers days, the jelly belly will never really recover.

Sandi

tell her to bugger off! sorry, that doesnt help! i still have a belly (and slightly saggier boobs) but who cares.. ive got a gorgeous little boy to show for it. Enjoy your baby and dont waste your time worrying about that! :hug:

Claire x

How rude of her!!!

If my MIL even thinks about commenting on my weight after baby i will point at my little girl and say "thats what happens when you carry a baby for 9 months... took 9 months to get this belly gonna take a bit more than 6 weeks to loose it"

Id probably fire "taken you at least 23 years" under my breath lol xx

Bollox to that hun, if your not worried bout ur tum FUCK MIL, what a stupid thing to say, has she not noticed the little one sitting there no, just think youve been at the pies ? I dno some people !
I think im going to join rosemary connely fitness club thingy to try and battle my preggy weight.... 3 months on !

Tell her ur not advised to excercise that much before ur 6 week check anyway old battleaxe !

That's pretty rude of her :shock:

I don't know about weight because we don't have any scales but I'm back to my prepregnancy size (have been for about a week) the only thing is your stretched skin can take a while to go back even if the weight is gone :roll:
I'm a petite 10 with a ring of flabby skin under my belly button :lol: :oops: It is shrinking back but it's a lot slower. I recon another 2 months until it's flat again at this rate :roll:

[quote="kalia"If, like me, you have a special relationship with maltesers and take baby for walks only when it is not raining it will take much longer.[/quote]

:lol:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I found breastfeeding initially made my tummy shrink down but like you, being hosuebound and not able to be active much at all caused me to put on weight and become unfit.

As I am still breastfeeding I've not be able to really go on a strict eating plan and take in less calories as such. And its only in recent times I've been able to exercise properly again. Now Galen is down to 4-5 breastfeeds a day (and 2-3 at night atm :roll: ) I shall start on an eating plan in the new year with OH.

I never went back to my pre-pregnancy weight after my first! But as others have said, tell her to not be so bloody cheeky!! :talkhand:

it takes awhile :hug:

idk what weight i was before i got preg with millie, but at 16 weeks i was 9st.4, at 23 weeks i was 10st.3 and at 39 weeks i was 11st.7

2 weeks after the birth i was 9st.10, six months later i was 8st.4 and 10 months after the birth i was 6st.13!

just watch what u eat and BFing really helps loads! (lazy girls weight loss lol)

i went a bit too far im tryna put a bit back on now, i am currently 7st.3

however, my tummy is still proportionately flabbier than the rest of my body (iv ended up with rippling toned arms and legs from picking my toddler up and carrying her about everywhere- just being a mum exercises the limbs- but not really the belly!)

it takes about a year for the muscles to heal i think (they are "torn" with pregnancy when stretched) so there will be very little tone there no matter how slim u are.

for the first 3 months after giving birth despite losing a lot of weight i still looked pregnant :lol: 'tis normal, do not worry :hug:

9 months on, 9 months off remember. give ur body time xxx

trixipaws said:
9 months on, 9 months off remember. give ur body time xxx

that is such a sweet comment...

ive found that exclusivly breastfeeding has made me loose quite a dramatic amount of weight. but not untill about month 3. before that i still kinda looked pregnant and bloated, despite loosing 25lbs the day after baby was born, once mont 3 hit, i suddenly looked and felt a lot slimmer. my tummy is a little baggy still 4months on, but im not planning on wearing any bikinis any time soon.

what your MIL said has made me feel so mad though, how dare she!!!! everyone is different, and its been only 6 weeks!!!!

How rude!!!! Everyone is different and as said above it isn't a race and you should give your body time to recover, it will take time and yes PG does leave permanent changes to your body but at the end of the day who cares when u have a gorgeous healthy baby! I lost my weight very quickly and my stomach shrunk too but I had bad prenatal depression and only put on about a stone and a half in pregnancy and then bad PND and was not really eating, TBH I would have rather have been heavier and not have the PND. While I lost the weight quickly I did get stretch marks under my belly button so have a little area of wrinkly skin. At first I hated it but TBH time has faded the scars a lot and I am too much in love with my little angel to care anymore about some minor changes to my body! So in answer to your Q I would agree that it normally takes about 9months for things to totally go back. But honestly don't stress and enjoy being a new mummy :D

I lost 15kgs from the day before Jacob was born to the day after, but I haven't lost anything since! I go for a lot of walks but I too am stuck to the sofa feeding him a lot of days. I have started going to the gym this week but still don't feel that up to it, so we'll see how long it takes to lose anymore weight. I am about 20kgs heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight.

Agree with trixi takes 9 months to put it on, will take 9 months to probably get some off.

I breastfed for over a year and it wasn't until Oli was around 15months did I get to pre preg weight and I was happier with my tummy etc.

I didn't eat very well so alot was down to my own doing, but if you eat well (and dont go on the coil like my friend did and hardley loose at all!)

Carrying little one around in a sling while you do house work, walk to the shop etc will help too :D

I should also add that I am breastfeeding, eat very healthily and carry Jacob in a sling, but my weight still won't move. I think that's a sign that it isn't supposed to yet.

Isaac is 3 and my belly looks like a bean bag with half the beans taken out :)

It has been flatter when I did sit up's but you have to keep them up once you start :)

moss said:
I should also add that I am breastfeeding, eat very healthily and carry Jacob in a sling, but my weight still won't move. I think that's a sign that it isn't supposed to yet.

I can relate to this, i fed my DD for 8 months and struggled to lose the last 10lbs (i gained 4st in total!) i ate very healthily... never stopped running around,
As soon as i stopped the feeding(to return to work) the last bit just seemed to disappear, i had previously read that we can naturally retain weight to ensure we have enough fat stores to produce the milk! i personally believe this.

Im 5ft 11 and my pre pregnancy weight is just under 9st and would be classed as 'underweight' so makes sense i suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back