Befriending inmates - would you?

laetitia85

Reaction score
What are your views on the subject? :think:
Would you ever consider becoming the penpal of a rapist, murder or criminal serving a sentence in jail, i.e. corresponding regularly, develop a friendship, give advice, visit them maybe... etc.
(Not that I'm considering it - I was just wondering if any of you would.)

I thought about it once but my mom recommended I didn't in case they wanted to find me when they got out of prison. That thought scared me... I'd have to pick who I penpalled with too as I know all crimes are bad but I would feel more uncomfortable with a rapist than say, an armed robber.

If that makes sense.

i read a story in a magazine once about this woman who was penpalling a man on death row for murder and she married him :shock:

vicki1983 said:
i read a story in a magazine once about this woman who was penpalling a man on death row for murder and she married him :shock:

I've read stories about that too

I used to work in a Psychiatric prison about 5 years ago - i loved every minute of it! I think i am coming from a different point of view though as all the people who i worked with had committed crimes because of their mental illness. Once they were put on medication they were the most lovely people ever. I think this slightly persuades me but i think i would have to have some back ground on the person before i got involved.

Nic'n'Keeley said:
vicki1983 said:

I've read stories about that too

:rotfl: Like that sketch on Catherine Tate with the ginger woman with big teeth!!!

i would like to
but as shell says id be scared if they wanted to find me
how do you go about it anyway?

Charlotte & Emily said:
i would like to

Are times that hard Char?!!! You scraping the barrel??? :rotfl:

frangelle said:
Charlotte & Emily said:
i would like to

Are times that hard Char?!!! You scraping the barrel??? :rotfl:

shut up you :rotfl: im not that desperate :rotfl:

normal in the land of the sad loser freaks
hahaha
not saying im height of poularity cos ppl annoy me these days lol
but i would never resort to writing to a murderer it would be like

"I went to asda today, I know you dont get to see the bargains i do but its proper wicked "

haha what could they have to possibly tell u anyway its crazy buisness

Becksss said:
hahaha

"I went to asda today, I know you dont get to see the bargains i do but its proper wicked "

it's true i wouldn't know what stories to tell them either, but from what i know, a lot of them talk about how they wanna change etc. I think having a penpal is part of their rehabilitation. i think it's a good idea for some of them, who really express remorse for what they've done but i don't think i'd be the right person for the 'job'

Couldnt they give them a tamagotchi or something?

Becksss said:
Couldnt they give them a tamagotchi or something?

:rotfl: :rotfl: or pat a dogs??

Personally, I couldn't be bothered with writing to inmates and don't really see the point. I'd rather push an old person around for the day or voluteer in a charity shop that I supported like 'mind' or something.

Becksss said:
hahaha

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Becksss you make me pmsl... its so brutally honest it's funny...

I'm not allowed seemingly... when i was living in the UK my dad said that he wouldn't be able to see or speak to me if I ended up going out with a convict, because of their jobs in the prison service :roll: Also they put the fear of God into me with stories of what happens in prison, and what some of the inmates have done to get in there... pretty scary stuff. :(

Some inmates have no living friends or relatives or have been disowned by them Alot of them have gone through the care systems from a young age too. A penpal means someone for them to to stay in touch with the outside world, someone to listen when they feel down/angry/upset. I happen to think that knowing someone cared enough to take the time and effort to write could mean the difference between coming out and changing or coming out with the no one cares attitite so many do and messing up again.

Im pretty sure they send the letters through an agency so never get your address and you wouldnt even have to use your real name.

For me i think if i knew how to go about it i might consider writing a little letter once a fortnight.

My brother is 31 and has spina bifida and hydrocepahuls has learning difficulites, im used to it and we treat him liek a normal person most of the time i went to his flat once and there was a list of prison ppl for penpals
ahaha
I sed 2 him where the fuk u get this haha
i took it 2 throw it away
he has skype now :roll:
he talks 2 right randoms and sometimes i get invited to chats thank god for block button
hes a fanny sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back