Bathing screaming babies?!

twinkle84

Reaction score
My LO hates bathtime. He is so placid and content, never cries but at bath time he screams house down. We do have a floating sponge and he does settle better on that, but its still such an ordeal. He has proper tears and everything. Last night it took me 20mins to settle him. Hate seeing him like that. Does anyone else or has anyone else had newborns that hate being bathed? is there anything i could do and how long does it normally last? I know most babies when they are older love their bath times x

Oscar hated it so I just got a soapy wet sponge and washed him bit by bit/ top & tailed him and he didn't mind that. ow he's older I got him one of those sit up bath seats for christmas. I'm hoping now he can sit up better he'll not panic so much x

Ok, sounds good, so you went for the other option of washing him, rather than my hubbys idea of bathing him every night so he gets used to it, its just such an ordeal. I hope the seat works, a friend baths her baby with one of them and hes fine now. x

Charleys just getting used to the bath now at 9 weeks although he cried earlier!
I top and tail him every night so he gets a good clean every day but only bath him twice a week cos it upsets him so much!

I was reading about bathing earlier (researching before attempting it myself lol!), and my book said that some babies have a fear of water so you should start with them in a room different from where you usually bath them with just a bowl as opposed to the baby bath. Let baby 'paddle' and play in the water. Then when he's comfortable with that, introduce the bath but keep it playful and just wet each limb bit by bit etc. Then you can move into the bathroom and play in there, and gradually re-introduce dipping his bottom half into the water.
Don't know if that's at all helpful? I'm not sure exactly how you get a newborn to 'play' with water, but I guess the idea is just to keep it lighthearted and not worry about the actual washing part.

I just washed Oscar with his sear and he was so happy. There were toys floating about and he was so preoccupied with wanting them all he had great fun.

I guess it's too early for that yet, but thinking about it I made the mistake early on of taking him in the bathroom when the water was running and I think the noise freaked him out. It sounds scummy but I don't bath him that often anyway lol. I do wash his bum with flannels every change. My hv commented in his lovely skin and said it's much better for their skin to bath them less x

Seb screamed the first time I bathed him so I now have a bath with him and he loves it! He's such a water baby!

Campbell has screamed everytime but once. Although we think we found the key in making sure he is not hunfry when we do it and that he is calm when we put him in. Although he screams at first I have found reassuring him by talking and singing and pouring water on his tummy soon settles him x

honestly i found they cry half time cos theyre cold cos its so shallow so i just made madisons bath quite deep and she loves it!! i have always squeezed sponge over her head and everything and she got used to the water so quickly doesnt mind being splashed or anything xx

When I was in hospital one of the nurses was really keep on bathing the baby while the baby was being swaddled and all the lights dimmed.
She wrapped this other baby in a sheet and had the water slightly warmer than what you would usually use (but not hot) then gently placed the baby in the bath for his wash. Then whilst still in the bath she gently unwrapped the swaddle and gently lifed the baby out and wrapped him in a towel and dried him very gently. She then dressed him and placed him in his cot. There was no screaming or crying from the baby, and afterwards he slept peacfully for 3 hours.
I've not tried it with Tomos as he doesn't seem to mind having a bath, but it definatly worked. xx

noa LOVE baths n showers, but it need to be deep, so all his body is under water, thats why i dont use the babybath as i dont think its deep enough for him to kick around in x

isobel i was the same, i ended up buying the mamas and papas bath for like 23 quid worth every penny,,, i have it v deep and i dont even need to hold her its amazing!! xx

can you post a pic of the bath Lisa so we can see?

Attachments

• 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 10
i have better pics of it but tbh dont wanna put them on as u can see her 'parts' where u cant really see anything here :D soz xx

Thanks eveyone! Its reasuring to know and im sure he will get there. Was better last night and we just did it very quick and hardly any tears. Youre right he probably is cold! Thanks for the pics Lisa and totally understand we dont want to expose the little ones! I think its so wrong! x

I use a bath support for drake. I fill it quite deep with the water a little warmer than average. I don't sponge him down till the last minute though as I find he gets too cold on the bits that's exposed to the air. Oh and i always bath around 1-2 hours after his feed so he's not too hungry. He loves his baths!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back