Bathing & sleeping

Elliellie

Reaction score
Hi all, well this will be my first proper post in baby & toddler! Isaac is coming up to 2 weeks old now & I have a couple of questions. Firstly, I'm just wondering how often people bath their babies? I was told in the hospital & at NCT classes that once or twice a week is fine, so was planning to do that & top & tail daily. BUT the health visitor came yesterday & said I should top & tail every morning & bath every night and that this will get a good routine going. Does this seem excessive?
The health visitor was actually really patronising and annoyed me a lot!
Also, we can't get Isaac to settle in his crib at night at all, he just screams when we put him down. I've ended up putting him in our bed the last 3 nights just to get some rest which means my OH has to sleep in the spare room as he tends to wave his arms about in his sleep & doesn't want to risk whacking the baby! He sleeps like a log in our bed! Does anyone have any tips for settling him in his crib? It's such a lovely crib too!

We only bath Holly a couple of times a week. Was told they don't need more and also she had just been diagnosed with eczema so more often would dry her skin out too much.
Will he settle in his crib for naps in the day?

I bath charlie every night abd give him a wash with cotton ballls and water, I also put baby oil in his bath so his skin doesnt dry out. It is good to try and get them into a routine early but it doesnt always work, you hink you have it nailed and then something like teething or tummy bug or even if you have been out for the day and its something different can unsettle them and the routine goes out of the window. Have you tried putting sonething with your scent on in the crib? Or maybe put a hot water bottle in there for half an hour before sleeptime, or swaddling? Swaddling used to work with charlie but now he just wriggles out no matter how much you wrap him!

We only bath Jax about once a week and not as part of his routine yet.

We also had problems settling Jax in his Moses basket so we co-slept until he was about 10/11 weeks. My dh is also a very wriggley sleeper so I used to go in the middle and put Jax on the outside and jam pillows against the side of the bed to make sure he didn't fall out. When we came back from our holiday over new year we decided to move him to his own room and big cot and get him into a routine of going to bed at 7pm (before that I used to cuddle him while he slept in the lounge until we went to bed and take him up with us) and he settled absolutely fine with no issues at all.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

At first we bathed Jack every other day. He now has a bath every night and a massage afterwards as part of his bedtime routine. We've never topped and tailed him though. There is no right or wrong answer I think you should do what you feel is best for your LO x

WE got told to only bath him once a week but not sure if that is coz he has really dry skin. We top and tail every day and then bath him once or twice a week. He hates baths in any case so its not a hardship!!
xxx

We bathed once a week until last week and now we do every 3 days unless he needs it!

We have bathed savannah every night since she first came home really. We found it helped her sleep if she had a good kick about in the bath first!

But its just one of those things where everybody is different... What works for one baby may not work for another!

xx

Thanks for replies. I guess it doesn't really matter with bathing but as he seems to quite like baths & hates topping & tailing I might do more baths! I have tried him in his crib during day, sometimes he cries straight away & sometimes he sleeps for a bit first, although never as long as if he were in my arms. Thought I might get a sling for during the day so I can do other things, but that doesn't sold the nighttime problem. I will try a hot water bottle & putting something that smells like me in the crib & see how we get on. We do swaddle, although I'm not sure he likes it as seems to struggle until he's freed an arm! I'm just so tired!!

Owen was every other day until we decided to put his routine in and now has a bath every evening before bed x

When my lo was newborn it was every few days. On the days where we disnt bathe him we topped and tailed. Now i top and tail him everymorning, and then he has a bath every night as part of his bedtime routine.

Maisie seems to hate the crib too - she has been in my bed every night since coming home - my SIL found putting the carrycot from the pram into the crib helped while her LO was tiny - I am going to make an effort from next week to get her settled in the crib at least for part of the night - though I do love co-sleeping :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back