baptisms

tracyM

Reaction score
Alex has just turned 20 months and still isn't baptised (the others were baptised at a few months old).

My reasons:
I've lost a lot of the faith I used to have and I've always been very critical of others who get their children baptised when they don't have any faith themselves, so feel I have no right to get him baptised. I still have my faith in God, but I've lost faith in the Church as an institution.
We no longer go to the church where we were married and the others were christened. We're still close by, but no longer in the parish and I'd feel weird getting him baptised in another church.
We can't think of any God Parents. The others have 3 each and we've picked people who have a very strong faith. There's nobody left and I don't want to pick second best for Alex.

I'm gutted that my mum didn't get to see his baptism (she was very religious), although I know she'll be there in spirit. She always said it was up to me whether to get him baptised, but I know deep down she was upset that we didn't.

OK, enough rambling, should we get him baptised?

If you still have your faith in god then I would get it done.
I dont know what to say about your mum, it would be a lovely memory for you knowing that she would approve and a baptism at the end of all this sadness might give you something.

:hug:

im not religous myself but my partner is catholic, i always said because religin didnt matter to me but did him i would willingly go through whatever for the baby and him.

(we havent got round to it yet) (hes not very strickt lol)

its a real toughie, and its obvoius you have alot of pain. :hug:
And i or anyone else cant really give you an answer.

If you did do it. I would have a ceremy straight afterwards maybe, Non religous. Just a get together for you. And your family. Might make the thing feel less 'religous'

i just read that through and i dont think im helping. :doh:

thinking of you :)

tracyM said:
Alex has just turned 20 months and still isn't baptised (the others were baptised at a few months old).

My reasons:
I've lost a lot of the faith I used to have and I've always been very critical of others who get their children baptised when they don't have any faith themselves, so feel I have no right to get him baptised. I still have my faith in God, but I've lost faith in the Church as an institution.
We no longer go to the church where we were married and the others were christened. We're still close by, but no longer in the parish and I'd feel weird getting him baptised in another church.
We can't think of any God Parents. The others have 3 each and we've picked people who have a very strong faith. There's nobody left and I don't want to pick second best for Alex.

I'm gutted that my mum didn't get to see his baptism (she was very religious), although I know she'll be there in spirit. She always said it was up to me whether to get him baptised, but I know deep down she was upset that we didn't.

OK, enough rambling, should we get him baptised?
its up to you/
in my opinion it is hypocritical to baptise ones baby when one is not religious.

I agree with budge, and think in your case if you're not sure you could wait a while, maybe go to a mass and see how you feel afterwards? I think you've lost faith in your church, not the sacrement of baptism, I'm sure you will do what's right in the end, very best wishes :hug:

personally i wouldn't get him baptised for someone else..

what does your hubby think..If its important for you as a family then do it..If its not what you want then maybe do something else a naming ceromony ?

If you are concerned about God parents could you not reuse the best ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back