Back to back labour

Teej

Reaction score
Just back from 34+6 midwife appointment, all is fine,
baby head down but she described him as a very lateral
almost posterior position (he always has his back on the very
right side of my bump). The scary thing is she began to very
matter-of-factly start talking about looong back to back labours
and more difficulties. Anyone had a back to back baby recently?
Was it really awful? Or did you have a posterior baby which turned
just in time?
Any input would be great as i am suddenly a bit scared :shock:
Thanks x

i had back to back with kayla and pain was totally different from with dd1 and was just in my back which meant lying down didnt help whereas it did with reanna, my labour was only 2 hrs 20 mins tho so it doesnt necessarily mean it will be longer, think it just depends on how ready baby is to be born and how quick they turn.i was told that the effects of an epidural may not fully work if your back to back but i didnt want one anyway so never bothered me. you can help turn your LO during labour tho as well as now by crouching on all fours or by leaning forward and swaying your hips.

xxxxx

I had back 2 back labour and it was very long, she decided to turn near the end and things moved much quicker when she did. I would say get bouncing on your ball and doing all you can to get baby to turn and stay in a good position but sometimes those babies just dont wanna behave :)

leah was back to back
i was induced but progressed really really quick but then she got stuck and it ended up with a forceps delivery/threatened c-section

but i think that was also because her heartrate was dropping because everything happened so fast so they had to get her out as soon as possible.

but that was just my experience... didnt mean to scare u :shock: :hug:

I had a back to back labour but he turned just before he was delivered. I didn't even realise he was back to back until the midwife mentioned it (he'd always been in a good position at check ups), but I was only in labour for 3 and a half hours and it wasn't particularly bad. The only thing I did notice was that I had an uncontrollable urge to be on all fours during each contraction but I don't know if that was related or if that was what turned him.

I had a back to back labour too but it was really fast (6 hours from waking up in a bit of pain) I felt my contractions in my lower back and they were really very painful! Luckily Jacob turned once I was fully dilated so pushing him out wasn't a problem :D

Try not to worry about it hun, your baby could change position at any time and once your in labour just go with it, your body just takes over and does what it has to do. Painrelief helps a lot too :lol:

Good luck :hug:

Your baby can move from now up until in labour, so try not to think about it too much Teej :hug: :hug: :hug: It's true that babies in any but the optimum position can cause labours to be more difficult or longer, but its not always the case, you wouldn't know how long your labour would be had baby been in optimum position anyway so it'd be hard to make a comparison.

Your MW is just telling you the facts as its her job, she's not attempting to scare you, or at least she shouldn't bem but better you are aware of the possibilities now :hug: Isaac's labour was long and hard going on my back, but it was very manageable and pleasant, up until the intervention, and drugs, however I would recommend co-codamol for any backache whilst in labour, it really can help.

Very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

both of mine were back to back, first labour was 28 hours and I ended up on the drip as I failed to progress she was born by ventouse, second one I was induced as my waters had broken and whole labour was 1 hour 33 mins.

Both bloody hurt :rotfl:

Ella was back to back. She had been in a good position all through the pregnancy, it was only when I went into labour that she decided to turn. I had a long latent phase, about 16-18 hours and an 8 hour established labour where I had the drip and baby was born using forceps.

You never know, baby could change position in the next few weeks hun :hug:

Redshoes said:
I would recommend co-codamol for any backache whilst in labour, it really can help.

I agree!! Co-Codomol was really good for me. In my opinion, better than pethidine! And bouncing on a birthing ball.

boy was back to back , from the minute the drip worked to him being born was only 4 hours and i had no pain relief yes it bloody hurt but his my first so dont know if it hurt more or less then a good positioned baby xx

Ky was back to back and i was in labour for 56hours sorry!

To be honest pushing him out wasnt the painful bit it was the contractions that killed me. Because he was back to back the contractions came in my back, which was pretty horrid. I spose i had quiet a bad tear which might of had something to do with him being back to back. Hun its guna hurt no matter what but honestly you'll be absolutely fine and every other mum on here will tell you exactly the same :hug:

harriet was back to back, labour was about 6 hours in total and pusher her out in a fe pushes. the only bad thing was there was more pain in my back which wasnt fun as i have slipped disk and i tore labia, but i would do it agaimn right now

My son was back to back.

I was in labour 21.5 hours start to finish. They were going to give me a drip to speed it up, because was only 6cm. Couldn't sit still to have the drip and suddenly fully dialated (when I thought I needed a poo!lol)

Was very difficult to lie down, or sit down. Which made it tiring and hard to monitor me.

Didn't feel like I was pushing for very long. Think it was about 20 mins. I stood up and leaned on the bed, which was pumped up to my chest....So I think gravity helped.

I did tear. But then so do many women, with babies in many positions.

It was painful. But got through it and would obviously do it again lol (in around 12 weeks to be precise)

I cannot compare it to labour with a baby in another position.

I had a back to back labour. I started at 5am in morning but had irregular contractions all through the day but nothing too painful. Went to hospital about 5:30 on afternoon as wasn't sure if my waters had gone. Once i'd had examination etc found I was only 2cm. By 6:30 I was heading hom but as I got to car park contractions were more painful so went back in. Got checked out a bit more. but 8:55 I had Jack. I was in 'established labour' (5cm-10) in 1 hour. So being back to back doesn;t mean a long drawn out labour :hug:

I must add though that because of Jack's position he did get stuck at 1 point and was pressing on his cord cutting oxygen off, docs had to turn him for him to come down which they managed but emergency C section was mentioned. Also the pain in my back was horrible and that is where I felt most of my contractions - they are the down points of my back to back.

I would recommend listening to your midwife in terms of tips on how to turn, I was advised to wash floor on my hands and knees, leaning over footstool when watching tv and generally not being on my back etc, I didn't listen :oops: I hadn't a clue what back to back meant at that point.

But if you do try all of that and LO doesn't turn try not to stress too much as like I said it doesn't mean it has to be a long labour :hug: also I didn't tear and like someone else said cos back pain is bad pushing doesn't feel so harsh :lol: always a silver lining

Ive nothing to compare it to, but when alice induced and delivered she was back to back and i did it without tearing!

It felt like i needed to have a poo.

Thanks for all your replies, i will get bouncing on my ball
and scrubbing the floor on my hands and knees!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back