Back to back labours

AugustMum

Reaction score
No idea if this is the right section but hey ho lol.

What's the difference with a back to back labour?

I had a back to back labour and I didn't find I had much pain in my back, just a very tight bump during contractions and I felt the need to poo from about 8/9cm. I just figured that was because I was getting near 10cm though :/

I'm not a hard nut and saying oh it doesn't hurt, but I hear a lot of people saying about back to back labours being more painful and harder going but I didn't find it that bad.

So yeah, what makes it more painful? Does it feel differently to a correctly lay baby?

Feel a bit dim asking these questions seeing as my lo was back to back lol.

When I went to my antenatal class they said that all babies have to turn to get into the right position to come down the birth canal... they said generally boys turn the wrong way causing a back to back labour. This is what happened with Oscar. Obviously turing the wrong way takes baby longer and holds things up a bit!

The pain in my back started as really bad back ache. I had the normal contractions, but they were happening in my back as well as front. The pain was unreal. I managed 7 hours no pain relief before I caved in and had the epidural!

I guess everyones experience is different though.

So you had a lot of pain in your back as well?

Paige got wedge in as well, I was exactly the same as you in that sense, let me push for 2 hours and then tried forceps before deciding section was the only way. She'd only managed to turn half way so was facing my thigh :/

Yeah, the pain in back was immense. OH and midwife took turns massaging my back for that whole 7 hours without other pain relief lol That is one part I think back on fondly and when Im in labour this time I will also make him rub my back constatnly regardless of labour hehe

Commented on the other thread too, odhran was back to back he ended up turning a few minutes before I started pushing.. I had pains in my back xx

shannon was back to back but i didn't know lol! i was only in labour for a couple of hours and had her within 45 mins of getting to the hospital, i surpose were all diffrent though. x

Kynon must have turned during labour too as at my mw check a few days before he was half and half wedged into my hip (I had a 4d scan a few days before as well) I had back ache the night before I had him but had such a quick labour that wasn't too bad, so maybe he turned the night before and I didn't know!

Back labour was slower for me and I felt the contractions in my nback more than my tummy ? They had to turn her using forceps as she move sideways too . Regular labour , I felt it in my tummy and pelvis much more but it was much quicker and I didnt need any intervention at all .

mine was half a turn out and they used forceps to help her turn, i was only 2.5hrs but was induced as my waters broke first and there was meconium.
i felt every single one of those contractions in my back.

I also commented in the other thread :)

My lo was back to back, but I only found out after my c section. I had a failed induction and the consultant said that may have contributed to me not engaging I think. She said I would have ended up a c section anyway (was a c sec for other reasons) because of his positioning. I didn't really get back pain though.xxx

I hope a back to back labour isn't longer. My labour was only 2 hours to get to 10cm :/

I had back to back labour I couldn't sit down the whole time I was in labour for over 24 hrs everytime I did the paid was excruciating!!!

Tt my mums labours were halved in time. With my sister it was 4 hours and with me it was 2 and she said that her labour with me sounded very similar to mine. I dread the thought of a an hour long labour. Intense wouldn't cover it lol!

That's weird that you couldn't sit down! I was most comfortable sitting on a chair. Just shows everyone's completely different in labour. Strange how some people don't get pain in their back even with back to back labours.

Issac was back to back but turned himself just before my five mins of pushing :) im glad that was short because from start to end was 34hours and my midwife said because he was back to back i wasnt dilating as quickly as i should.... my pain was more front and i had a dull ache in the back however i do remember the most unbelievable pains from lower tummy across to pelvis then shooting down my thighs.. i was most comfortable standing until i had a contraction then i was just hanging onto anything or anyone... Thank the lord for an epidural 4hours before he arrived xx

Wow my hind waters broke Sunday 4am and had him at 7.16pm by emergency c section the Monday morning! To say I was knackered is an understatement. I went Into hosp about 9pm on the Sunday evening and from then until about 3pm the Monday I couldn't sit!! It was horrible!! I really wanted to but as soon as I did it was agony! My feet hurt so much too as I paced the whole time up and down!

Ellie was back to back and I had double contractions front and back.. Soon as one dies down another came then a break.. Wasn't pleasant!! I think it's down to the bad positioning it can either make it more painful, longer or trouble getting them out.. Or all three!! I had no probs getting her out and from waters breaking it was 7hrs.. It hurt like a bitch but I think I had one of the better back to backs!

I had a back to back labour, I'd not had any BH, and so when I had my first contraction at 11pm on the wed I new something was happening :) after 3 contractions the back pain started, and that was it, the back pain was there until the minute he was born! my back pain got more intense every time I had a contraction but it was so sever that by the time I got to the hospital (4am on the fri) I could barely walk and found it impossible to sit down (going to the toilet was a night mare) unfortunately for me he didn't turn so was born back to back, but I'm proud to say I managed with co-codamal (sp?) and gas and air during the labour and nothing during the birth :) x

My labour was back to back, the back pain was awfull but the water birth really helped. i just felt like i needed to Poo the whole time! my labour was just under 5 hours. her head came out whilst she was still back to back but then she decided to turn, will never forget that weird sensation!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back