Back to Back Baby

jennifer1981

Reaction score
I went for a routine check up with my midwife today and after feeling my belly she asked me if i had any back pain. I was so pleased she asked coz i feel like i am moaning all the time and like i am over reacting to the pain i have.

Apparently the baby is back to back with me i.e. in the posterior position and is resting on the bottom of my back and that's what is causing the back ache :wall:

At least i know why though now. I hope it moves position by the time labour comes as apparently it's more difficult to give birth with a baby which is posterior.

DOes anyone else have a back to back baba?

sorry to hear you're in pain :hug: :hug: :hug:

have you got a birthing ball? Bouncing on that will help to move bubs, as will spending some of the day on your hands and knees. Anything that keeps your knees lower than your hips will encourage baby to turn around. Sleeping on your left side is also good. Its early days yet so baby has plenty of time to turn but if its causing you pain you'll want to get him/her to shift asap :)

good luck hun xx

Ditto what Tilly said.

My LO loved being back to back around the same time as you are now and I spent time on all 4's, rocking backwards and forwards. Did this about 4 times a day for 15-30 minutes at a time and LO soon shifted. Every time I needed LO to move, that did the trick. MW advised me to do it and said it was the best way to shift a back to back baby at this stage.

My baby moved to the back to back position during labour and a few bounces on a birthing ball helped to turn her :)

I didn't realise that back pain was a symptom of a back to back baby. My lower back is very painful and has been pretty much since 8/9 weeks. I'm thinking 15 weeks is too early for pain caused by a back to back baby though. I shall be asking my midwife about it at my next week appointment.

Jennifer I hope your bubs moves round soon :D

I have been having lower back pain since i was 12 weeks pregnant. It is at the very bottom of my spine. I also thought that 12 weeks was too early to be experiencing back pain in pregnancy but, as the midwife said, it is due to the baby resting there in a posterior position.

Im going to try the gym ball i think!

My midwife also suggested for me to go on all fours with my bum in the air at random times of the day (which proves a bit difficult in work!) :shock:

It is amazing the way they can tell which way your baby is lying just from feeling your tummy isn't it?!

Hi,

My first baby was back to back, and they're definitely right, labour is a lot more painful and longer; my little girl was firmly fixed in that position and I ended up having a c/section. Second time around though I spent a lot of time doing what others have described - being on my hands and knees, leaning forward, avoiding sitting back for long periods and sleeping on my right (someone else said left but I'm sure this particular m/w told me to sleep on my right). Anyway, all of that seemed to work and baby no.2 wasn't back to back, or born by c/section.

Good luck, really hope your baby moves, I'm sure she/he will given a bit of prompting!

That's interesting to know as I've also had back pain from around 15 weeks, I didn't realise it affected you during pregnancy I just thought it made labour difficult, I will try going on all fours and see if it helps, worth a try!

in my last pregnancy the baby was back to back during my 40 hour :shock: labour and ended up having a c section, hope everything gos better this time

Isaac was back to back during my labour, which is one possible reason why it was so long, and I did have intense backache because of it, but many women birth back to back baby's without any more discomfort than 'best position' baby's :D I totally understand the back pain discomfort, it really is quite awful, but I do hope it eases for you, just try to bend and lift correctly, ie bending your knees, and try sitting 'correctly', no slouching, which all pregnant ladies should do, but it doesn't feel as nice when pigging out on choc's :lol: I used my birthing ball for at least an hour a day whilst in my third Tri, and whilst in labour, Isaac still didn't get into the best position for birth, men :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back