Back Labour

nicki

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know what back labour is like and whats the difference between that and normal back ache? If you've already got bad backache how would you know if the labour has started?

Ta.

Nicki.x :D

Hi Nicki,

I've been wonderin the exact same thing. Since yest morn i've been having really bad back pain - like i've never had before.

Today roughly every half hour i've been in agony - either having to bend over my birthing ball or lean on a chair - its like someone is crushing the base of my back and lasts for about 30 secs.

My LO is ROP so back labour could be a possibility - what position is your LO in? I've had terrible backache prior to pg and this is much worse so i think you definitely know if its more than just normal backache.

I'm debating whether to put TENS on - my mw is coming in the morn so i might rough it out til then - i've taken some co-codamol which hasn't helped so maybe try some pain relief and see if the pains are still there.

xxx

Hi

Back labour still involves stomach tightenings most of the time.
You will have back ache, but as you have a contraction the pain will suddenly get worse and work it's way round to you belly.

Some people have different experiences but this is how mine started, luckily Jack turned dramatically at the start so the rest of my labour was in the front.

Hope this helps. :D

hi i had a back labour on my son and never experienced any pain in the front at all which was a shock cos id been expecting it all in the front
i also suffered with back ache but believe me you will know the difference hun the pains come with the contractions and gradually get more intense
xxxxxxxxx

All I can say is yeah it hurts but front labour is worse, I had it on the tops of my thighs and botttom of my bump. So painful.
Back labour wasn't too bad for me, like very bad period pains but with contractions.
My labour went my back, to my front, to my back again, all over, then back to my front.,

hi i had back labour with my first, my experience was really bad back ache that was comming and going just like contractions but i didnt have any pain at the front till i was 9 cm dilated i guess everyone is different

never felt anything in my tummy either!! just period pains stronger than period pains, if that make sense! :?

I have also a very bad back, used to be paralysed from my left side because of it!! and I would definitely recommend the TENS machine, it really helped me, and the birth pool was the best ever option I took! it takes most of the pressure off your back, as the water carries you more and you can concentrate on your breathing! It did wonders for me, anyway!

Best of luck! :)
mel xx

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I know i'm not in labour just yet, even though it would be nice (in a warped kinda way! :lol:)
Its just i've been suffering from a bad back for what seems like forever but it was more in the middle of my back and in the last few days its shifted to my lower back and i'm getting alot of sharp shooting pains that travel down my bum cheeks (sorry for that image!) into my thighs & i've been getting period type pains on and off along with sharp pains at the bottom of my bump, into my bladder area & my headaches have started up again so wasn't sure if they may be signs! It's a bit early but then I was born 6 weeks early so you never know. (keeps fingers crossed he will be early!)

Juzza, i'm not sure what position my LO is in but I think his back is to the right side & he's laying on his side, if that makes sense. I'm seeing my M/W on Thurs. so hopefully will find out then.

Also, does anyone know when its ok to start using a TENS machine, is it to early for me? will try anything to ease my back pain (having a sense of humour failure now :( )

Cheers.

Nicki.x

not sure about your other pains hun but the shooting pains in bum and down thighs is exactly how my sciatica is :( although since being pregnant im getting it in hips now too xxx

I had to back labour and had to have an epidural as the pain was so bad, at the beginning up to 3cm it was really painful but at least I was having a break between contractions.

Then when I was 10cm, the epidural was wearing off and the pain was very bad, it started in my lower left back and gradually spread to my right side, and I was like 1 long contraction for about 3 hours :cry: I had no pain at all in my stomach, all the pain was in my back.

i had a bit of back labour until eva moved around.

the contractions started in the bottom left side of my back and ran accross the bottom and then around my bump. I always knew one was coming by that niggly little pain. Had to have a heat pack when it first started to ease the backache and then i had dia-morphine later on.

I had 2 days of slow back labour and one day of slightly quicker back labour. It is hard to explain but it felt like a really bad backache that came and went, then when they got really intense it felt like someone was poking a knife into my tail bone. Bloomin hurt :shock: I was the other way tround from Sami, when she eventually moved and I had front labour it felt a lot better for me, guess it is different fror everyone. Hope that this is it, fingers crossed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back