Baby vests dumb question HELP

Moofa

Reaction score
oK me and DH packed the hospital bag today (very organised) and weren't sure why we would need vests for LO as we have sleepsuits and legless suits. The baby is due July 12th (so will be in theory hot), will we need vests too, and if so why?

Sorry being dumb!

Mx

They are good for keeping the nappy in place. I used to use sleeveless ones for my little girl. Hope this helps xx

Thanks. Just rang my Mum and she said yeah pack some to soak up the dribble :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: The suits I have packed are legless -will that be ok for July, as the baby will have a blanket in hospital and it could be warm in the ward.

Such a novice :roll:

Mx

Moofa said:
Thanks. Just rang my Mum and she said yeah pack some to soak up the dribble :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: The suits I have packed are legless -will that be ok for July, as the baby will have a blanket in hospital and it could be warm in the ward.

Such a novice :roll:

Mx

I'm no expert but with the Great British weather never actually obeying the seasons I would still pack a couple of baby grows with full feet. Another reason I say this is because babies like to be swaddled when there born, I don't think they like to be to 'free' after being so tucked up in the comfort of the womb for 9 months, plus you will need something with feet to bring baby home! A couple of light weight ones should do the trick! But as I say i'm no expert and a midwife may say differently. Bet you getting really excited now your packing your bag! xx

I was wondering the same thing as we are due around the same time...but to clarify, what are you classing as a vest. I've seen some people refer to a sleeveless body suit (all in one, no arms, no legs) as vests, and others refer to a vest with no arms which stops at the belly..... we've got loads of the former but no 'vests' in the traditional sense.

L xx

yep def pack some vests.
babies aren't great at holding their body temperature, and if your under one of the air condintioning units (i was last time, had a constant draft with a small baby - we had to be under a heat lamp for ages), then every extra layer helps!

When the baby is first born they need to be kept warm. I had tomas 2 weeks ago when it was hot midwife dressed him in vest babygrow hat and then wrapped him in a blanket.

Newborns cant keep their temperature, so pack some vests anyway as they need to be kept warm :D

Lisamj said:
I was wondering the same thing as we are due around the same time...but to clarify, what are you classing as a vest. I've seen some people refer to a sleeveless body suit (all in one, no arms, no legs) as vests, and others refer to a vest with no arms which stops at the belly..... we've got loads of the former but no 'vests' in the traditional sense.

L xx

I'm confused too.

Can anyone clarify what a 'vest' is?

Yeah getting excited thanks Clairedoran, but at mo I have a bum under my ribs so keep telling DH can I have the baby now and he keeps saying NO it isn't cooked yet! :rotfl: :rotfl:

mX

Baby vests are sometimes known as body suits.
They are the ones that fasten at the bottom ( in between babys legs). Can be bought in long sleaves, short sleves and no sleaves.

MissSara said:
They are the ones that fasten at the bottom ( in between babys legs). Can be bought in long sleaves, short sleves and no sleaves.

Thanks :hug: :hug: we have loads of them better not buy more tempting that is

Moofa said:
MissSara said:

Thanks :hug: :hug: we have loads of them better not buy more tempting that is

Can NEVER have too many vests, i always found when i had harrison they were the things that got used ALL the time, like babys must know when the nappy is taken off for a quick change to pee all over the vest......lol.

Think like Lisamj it differs from person to person what a vest is! I would personally call a vest something without sleeves though it can fasten under the nappy (i.e. a sleeveless bodysuit). I prefer these to ones that don't fasten under the nappy and only go as far as the tummy because they can ride up and annoy your LO. The other ones without legs I would call short sleeved or long sleeved body suits. Becky is constantly in a vest and a sleepsuit (full body, arms, legs and feet). Definitely get a few of each!

Not all babies like to be swaddled from birth - mine certainly didn't! Becky screamed blue murder right from birth if her arms were restrained (only after covering her lower body and releasing her arms did we realise this) and only a couple of weeks later the same with legs.

daftscotslass said:
Not all babies like to be swaddled from birth - mine certainly didn't! Becky screamed blue murder right from birth if her arms were restrained (only after covering her lower body and releasing her arms did we realise this) and only a couple of weeks later the same with legs.

Funnily enough my Becky was the same! The midwife would insist on swaddling her and she hated it. She's 4 now and still never keeps the bed clothes on her! xx

another reason why u need a vest. baby grows or whatever u call them have metal buttons that without a vest underneath will really annoy ur LO
I some how prefered the vests that stops at the tummy. i think its much easier to put them on and change the nappies which saves time for me and baby not to cry much :think:

Can anyone post a pic of a vest? So confused :doh:

Moofa said:
Can anyone post a pic of a vest? So confused :doh:

This is what I consider a vest, also known as a bodysuit. They can also have long sleeves.

31ofcdhsxilsx315sy375cb9.jpg

Vests in the traditional sense (sleeveless and ending around the waist) I would only use on older children.

Here you go..

DSCN1779.jpg

Becky is wearing what I would refer to as a vest though some as mentioned above put their LOs in one that doesn't fasten under the nappy. On the right I've put a couple of bodysuits (some people also call these vests!) with short sleeves and long sleeves. I've hardly used the short sleeved ones but find the long sleeved ones really useful under the likes of dungarees.

I find the sleeveless ones really useful for the reason mentioned above and because they give an extra layer on the chest. Becky sleeps in that plus a sleepsuit.

maldives said:
another reason why u need a vest. baby grows or whatever u call them have metal buttons that without a vest underneath will really annoy ur LO
I some how prefered the vests that stops at the tummy. i think its much easier to put them on and change the nappies which saves time for me and baby not to cry much :think:

Vests (the ones without poppers and ending around the tummy) will have a tendency to rise up and not remain in place. Annoying for both parent and baby IMHO.

Hence having bodysuits/vests with poppers at the bottom. The nappy is in place also so the poppers won't annoy a baby in the least and the vest will stay in place under the clothes or sleepsuit etc. They are designed for easy access to nappies and 3 poppers only takes a few seconds to do up so its not really a time saver or easier. And baby may cry all the way through a nappy change, not at all or just for part of it. You never know :lol: :roll:

I'd personally always go for the bodysuit/vests with poppers when a baby is small and in nappies etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back