Baby sparrow - Help budge!

Minime

Reaction score
Next doors cat has had the entire nest of baby sparrows, one has survived and is now in a cotton wool nest. As the cats had the nest if we put it back then either the parents will reject it or the cat will have it again. Can they be handrearered successfully and what to feed it? Ive handrearered budgies, cockatiels and a dove but not a sparrow.

Looking at mum and dad its actually a Dunnock. The moggy cant get up there now so OH popped it back in the nest. Been watching it all day staring at his folks thinking feed your child!!! They've not really been near but Ive just seen one of them go in and the noise of it being fed so quite happy with that but I'll keep my eye on them (and the cat!)

We've quite a few nesting in the garden at the mo, sparrows, starlings, robin, tits, blackbirds, doves, a wood pigeon we call hercules and a cute pair of jennywrens the male having a very elaborate mating dance for his size, bless :lol:

I THINK IT WILL DIE. THE SHOCK WILL KILL IT.
YOU COULD CONTACT (soz capz) the RSPB but and see what they suggest.

in the meantime keep the bird in a box where it cannot move or flap. Keep it warm and dry away from any droughts. Offer it water and seed if you can. Altho i doubt it will take it.

Its still a nestling so kinda either way it doesnt stand much chance. It was in shock when I picked it up, had calmed down a bit when OH put it back and both parents still feeding it. I expect to find it on the floor again so im watching mum and dad and checking around the tree. Will put it in a box if i find it on the floor again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back