Baby sleeping on front.

mayday

Reaction score
It has been absolutely drummed into me that babies should sleep on their back and feet to the foot of the cot, to prevent SIDS. In the last 3 days my baby has flipped onto her front and shuffled up the cot a bit before settling down to sleep, and if you try and put her back where you want her she wakes up and screams the place down. This happens whatever the time, be it evening, daytime nap or even in the middle of the night after waking.

She sleeps on her front with her head to the side. She is very quick to roll onto her front, and can easily roll back again, although rarely does so. She is just over 7 months old. As an aside, I always sleep on my front.

When is it safe for babies to sleep on their front, and if she isn't old enough, any suggestions as to what I can do to get her to stay on her back short of holding her on her back for the entire duration of her sleep? :? Don't want to panic if I don't need to, but at the moment I am checking her on a roughly 5 minute basis once she is in bed, and I don't know if I'm overdoing it.

i'll say what my mum says to me , i would have been dead if i had to have slept on my back as a baby , i use to stop breathing !

It's "safe" for them to sleep on their front if they can move their head... I think it's so if they puke in their sleep they can move their head away and not choke on it?

Something like that...

Sorry for the short reply.

Ryan's just over 6 months but can wriggle around perfectly well on his front, so it's fine.

one they can roll over it is fine as they can move their head. Seren always slept back to back till she could roll over and now always sleeps on her front.

I felt exactly the same as you when Maisie started to roll over onto her front at night - only difference she started doing it at 4 months!!!

No matter what you do she always rolls back onto her front and puts her head tp the side so I just leave her now. I think the risk of SIDS is greatly reduced once they can roll anyway and as your baby is 7 months old I wouldn't worry and just let her sleep.

I still worry though!! but Maisie is only 5 months.

Once they can roll over and choose their own sleeping position, then they will be fine...plus the risk of SIDS drops dramatically by 6 months old, and the baby's ability to move of its own accord is probably why. the old theory when we were little was to put us on our fronts to prevent SIDS... :roll:

when I've been at my wits end with Ash awake slamming his legs down and moaning at night, a few times I've flipped him onto his tummy. And every time he's stopped moaning and fallen back to sleep for ages! It's magic.

He can't quite roll yet so I put him to sleep on his back, but move him if I@m desperate. Hubbie has always slept on his front and can't sleep any other way. I think Ash will be the same.

When he can roll, I'm putting him on his front and I think he'll prob sleep through.

K.xx

As most of you know, my children have a big gap between each of them and trends change...
My daughter Jessie, soon to turn 16 slept on her front from birth because she was wearing a hip harness and at the time it was considered dangerous for babies to sleep on their back due to the danger of SIDS, so front it was.
My son Vic, now nine, slept on his side, on the recommendation of doctors, to avoid the danger of SIDS.
Anais now eight months, has slept on her back from birth to avoid the danger of SIDS. She is a lazy little thing and stays on her back as she is comfy like that!

Go figure :roll:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111