Baby sign language

Lilelephant

Reaction score
When did u start introducing this with LO? How did u go about it?

I have started doing hello how r u when I get him up and milk before I give him bottle

I started doing little bits when Paige was young but it wasn't until about a year or more that she signed anything. I'll do it again with my next lo but won't start signing until about 10/11 months as I'm not sure sure if they pick it up before then :/ but it's all personal choice. Just remember that he won't sign back for a while yet so don't get disheartened.

Thanks mel, yeah wasn't expecting anything back for months just thought it would help make them familiar :)

Maybe try with single words like milk or hungry as they pic those up quicker good luck with it though xx

I agree, linking it to meanigful words for babies, basically FOOD!

i've heard a bit about baby signing on this forum. And I just wanted to ask (if you's dont mind)...do you have hearing probs or does anyone in your family or are you practising incase LO ever meets anyone with hearing probs?

Sorry if that sounds a bit dumb. I dont know anyone with hearing probs & i've never thought about it.

:)

i've heard a bit about baby signing on this forum. And I just wanted to ask (if you's dont mind)...do you have hearing probs or does anyone in your family or are you practising incase LO ever meets anyone with hearing probs?

Sorry if that sounds a bit dumb. I dont know anyone with hearing probs & i've never thought about it.

Baby signing is a different type of thing than british sign language for people with hearing difficulties. Baby sign language is based on a system of signing and saying words at the same time to help develop their communication before they can speak and alongside speech development. If you watch Something Special with Mr Tumble on cbeebies i think it is, that is the same system as baby signing.

I take Jacob to baby signing classes each week, it's really good and he loved it. It's taught through songs mainly, and using signs for certain words like milk (clenched fist with thumb up, and opening/closing fingers), food, drink, most animals, 'I love you' and loads more. We are told to incorporate it into everyday life when changing them, bath time, dinner time etc, and obviously the more they see it and hear the word, they will eventually do it themselves. Jacob recognises some signs now but hasn't attempted any yet. It's a great way of being able to communicate with your baby before they can talk :)xx

Sent from my sexy iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

we started at 10 months with things like, more, food, drink etc and did animals and vehicles etc. Owen makes his own up now too! hes getting there with the language and has a lot of words but will sign a lot too so it hasn;t held him back (my parents were a bit like 'why you signing?!:wall2:)

the other day he was signing helicopter to me and dh and we were saying 'no theres no helicopter owen etc.. and he kept doing it then laying his head ont he cat - he was trying to say the cat's purr sounded like a helicopter!!!' stuff like that would be hard for him to tell us without signs as he cant; say the word helicopter yet but has signed it for ages (he LOVES helicopters!)

I can't wait to start this, I've signed up to baby signing classes but there's a huge waiting list - the lady said she'd be in contact during the summer when new places become available :eh:

i'm really interested in this now.

I did a bit of searching to see whats available in Glasgow. Found this bit of info on one of the websites.....

I took Scott to TinyTalk classes when he was 4 months old and loved it! Scott started to sign when he was 5 months old. He started with "Milk" and then progressed rapidly from there had a vocabulary of over 50 signs when he was just a year old.

There's more info on this link for anyone who's interested..

http://www.tinytalk.co.uk/julesr/page2.php?Teacher_ID=169&mini_site_id=14

Im really interested in this too! I suppose Ive started a bit with sophie as Ive been mimicking her putting her hand to her mouth and wiggling her head when she wants her bottle so I guess Ill just keep up with that as well.

Definitely going to look in to it :)

They dont really have any in my area :(

Have a look at the Makaton website or any makaton info. The Baby signing is based on makaton signing so it should give you an idea of some easy signs to start with. Also the something special cbeebies program and magazine cos that's makaton too.

M makes her own up she will use milk but any other signs are ones she's made herself her favourite is all gone :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back