baby sign / BSL book ?

Gem & Leland

Reaction score
Can anyone reccommend a good one? there;s so many out there , needs to be suitable for leland and for me and other half to learn some basic signs too , his hearing hasnt inproved and he gets somethings i say wrong , ends up in frustration so if we could learn some basic signs aswell as baby signing to leland would be all good ! me and leland do a baby sign and play class but its not really hardcore signing , just signing to nursery rhymes .

cheers :)

Try Baby signing for Dummies... I really want the book as its really basic yet really clear....

Or....

You cheat and use the internet...

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

Ta Dah!

I prefer ASL because its more simplistic for the most part... although there are some BSL signs that are easier than their ASL counterparts... but for the most part, for babies, ASL doesn't require as much hand dexterity for the simpler signs.. :D If you have any queries just PM me... Tia was almost deaf and I used signs to help her and I use them with lil miss too.. :)

I am training to be a BSL interpreter so if you want any help let me know! :rotfl: BSL is a more in depth language than Makaton but Makaton signs tends to be simpler (ie Something Special and Mr Tumble are Makaton signs) BSL is more logical to my mind and relativley easy to pick up. I have been learning it for a year and a half and can finger spell easily and have a simple conversation. (much more than i ever learned in freanch and german)

'Starting to sign' by Richard Magill and Anne Hodgson by is a good book for starters with lots of clear pictures, but also the internet is a fantastic resource. Try googling Paula Cox or video jug, there are some useful and highly amusing BSl videos on the net. The library also has a good selection of books. I did start taking Isla to sing and sign but to be honest i knew more signs that them so it was a bit of a waste of time and money as its not cheap.

Any probs let me know!

kelly , how and why are you doing that do you mind me asking ?

i went out with someone who was deaf when i was 18 , he taught me alot , but he had basic speech and it was hard learning when he signed so quick , ive also forgotten just about all of what i learnt but sure it would come back !!!!

I am getting made redundant next sept, I currently work for Braclays as an insurance underwriter. I am sick of insurance and the attitude of the rich and famous people we insure. :wall: SOOOO i thought i would expand my BSl knowledge and go for it! I am trainging via a local college but am lucky as my next door neighbours are both deaf and use BSL so they help teach me the slang and also i practice on them :rotfl: My brother and sister both have hearing loss and i have damage to one ear from shooting rifles while in the army and clay shooting. (i love shooting :D ) I thought what the hell, i am really interested in BSL and thought being an interpreter would be fun, so here i am. The courses are long and i have a long way to go but my 2011 i should be able to get on the interpreters register. Hubby can then be a house husband and give up work as it pays really well. My PND has not helped me in my job as housewife and full time mum while on maternity leave so i am happy to go back to work and pick and choose my hours.

It is very hard to read signs when they talk so fast but eventually you will find you pick up one sign every few sentences then 2 then 3. It wont be long before you can understand them. I can get the gist of most conversations and if you can master the phrase 'whats the sign for...' and 'can you sign ...'you will be laughing.

I am really excited about a new career to start with i was gutted at being made redundant but now i see it as a new start!

I really believe signing should be taught in schools, 4 out of my 6 can sign and this one will be brought up learning it in everyday use.
Im gonna have a look at some of your suggestions too thanks ladies :D

I did learn to sign at school, we all got taught the alphabet and the teacher used to let us go one at a time by fingerspelling our names. We had to recognise our name to be allowed to go. Geart idea i think, we loved it, learning it is something a bit different and very fun!

Cute book DebbieM. :cheer:

Gem I have a Makaton manual I made a few copies of at work when I was in last month. Asked for 4 copies so she made me 8! It's got basic signs such as food related, general wants and animals. Gimme a shout if you fancy, I'm home on Friday.

oo that sounds great

i found a book i really wanted but its £30 so safe to say its still in the shop looking pretty :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back