Baby showers

I do think there great but they shud be a surprise, and deffo not u organising it!

I want a shower this time, but we also don't really need anything, so maybe my oh's apprehensiveness is a good thing. He wants to throw a thing for when he or she is born. But what if I don't feel like seeing people. Then again, if it's my closest and beloved friends, maybe that'll be ok. I had a wonderful lil turn out for my bday last oct even though I live in Wales and all my mates live outside, some in London and that sort of distance away. I think if someone wants to throw you one, let them - but you can always say that you don't want presents. It might be a nice occasion, a get together with your friends. If you had one real close to your due date, you could always ask if each of them would make you some food for the freezer for when you come out of hospital. That would only mean them saving a portion each of whatever they are cooking that week.

I want a shower this time, but we also don't really need anything, so maybe my oh's apprehensiveness is a good thing. He wants to throw a thing for when he or she is born. But what if I don't feel like seeing people. Then again, if it's my closest and beloved friends, maybe that'll be ok. I had a wonderful lil turn out for my bday last oct even though I live in Wales and all my mates live outside, some in London and that sort of distance away. I think if someone wants to throw you one, let them - but you can always say that you don't want presents. It might be a nice occasion, a get together with your friends. If you had one real close to your due date, you could always ask if each of them would make you some food for the freezer for when you come out of hospital. That would only mean them saving a portion each of whatever they are cooking that week.

That is a great idea! Only problem being, I am vegan! I think it is going to be hard enough eating at the hospital!

That is a great idea! Only problem being, I am vegan! I think it is going to be hard enough eating at the hospital!

Oh flip!!!

Ok, I get ya. Last year I did from the 1st jan to the 8th jan, vegan. Now I'm mostly veggie.

And I need vit d supplements because my vit d is very low. Probably because my being mostly veggie is because I dislike the majority of meat and hate eating the 2 types I don't mind as much. Specially while pregnant, I'm even off sausage!

I'm also lactose intolerant.

So I need supplements. Means my OH can stop pushing mince down me throat once a week :)

In that case, I'm not sure what to suggest, in my case I'd ask if people could tie dye or make something - item for baby's wardrobe, picture for the wall, cd of music for the baby's nursery, I'm into homemade crap. For every birthday and xmas we have, my 3.5 year old daughter makes stuff with me - neither of us are good but everyone much prefers this stuff and being unemployed but not in receipt of benefit, it means I feel I've not let anyone down. I strongly suggest this avenue for others, it's so much fun and you can start when baby is born with footprint-decorated things. I'm hopefully being sent some baby things which an internet friend tie dyed herself for hers :)

Well I have a feeling my best friend and mum will probably throw me a baby shower :) which will be lovely

But I think I will throw a BBQ for all our friends near the due date just as an excuse for a get together

I think it's a lovely idea and sounds like a lovely plan with the BBQ, we're currently TTC our first so haven't been through thinking about this too much just yet but when I do end up pregnant I really hope my friends plan a baby shower for me, if not i'll arrange one myself haha.
I think they look fun and one of those American traditions we need to start making popular over here :)

I dont have any kids yet :) however ive enjoyed hosting and attending baby showers. Its fun and nice for girls to get together or mixed and we play games like guess the time and date etc and pin the babies on the mummy etc it really is each to their own

I completely agree with this post. And as one of the resident Americans on this board, I felt I should probably chime in. ;)

You all are completely right about baby showers being the norm over here in the states, but I don't think it's fair to say that we have them just so people will buy us gifts. Baby showers can be a really fun way to share an exciting time with your close friends and family. I've been to quite a few myself, and I'm always happy to get the invite.

Also, I can honestly say that I've never felt pressured to bring someone a gift when I attend. I am sincerely happy to be able to get them a little gift to help out, and while the idea of having a baby gift registry may seem like it screams BUY ME GIFTS!.... they really are helpful to get an idea to see what would be beneficial to the new family.

Now, to be completely honest I did get an invite once from the most selfish woman on earth, whom I was just a mere acquaintance of. She flat out told my sister that she should buy a certain item for her shower. That totally goes against the spirit of a shower, and neither of us ended up attending or buying a gift due to her attitude.

Last edited:
Thankyou Tipper!!
That was really helpful, we were thinking of making it a combined get together/ baby shower so partners would be welcome too and the gift list I thought may be a good idea as that way we would hopefully end up with what we actually need if someone did want to buy a gift, I didnt think it would be wrong I mean you dont think twice when putting a gift list in with your wedding invites do you?!

I think they are a lovely idea, whether people bring gifts or not. its a chance for friends and family all to get together one last time before the baby is here and to discuss exciting things! Gifts are just a bonus! and Id never expect anything huge.

My brother in law's girlfriend randomly asked me if I was planning on having one? They've only been together for about 6 months so I don't know why she was asking me? I know she wouldnt be throwing me one. I would be happy is someone organised one for me and invited all the right people but I know that wouldnt happen.

As someone said, I would rather just have a little get together with family and close friends before he's here and if people wanted to bring something for him that would be lovely.

I did however come across an App on my iPod which was an American App and suggested if you were going to have a baby shower to register a list for gifts and not to be afraid to put things like pushchairs and bedroom furniture on it. I got all hot just thinking about doing that to be honest, wouldnt dream of it!

Baby showers should be planned by either your sister (if you have one), Mother, aunts, cousins and best friends. Not you, you leave them to pamper you :)

If you are going to be doing some shower games, my favorites are the following:

1. Dirty diaper game - you melt different candy bars into diapers, and have your guests try to guess what each one is (either by sight, scent or taste).

2. Guess the baby food! Similar game to above, you get random baby food jars, take off the labels, and pass them around your guests to guess what they are. Most people typically just go by sight and scent on this one, but a few brave souls do try the food ;)

3. Guess the belly size - pass around a roll of toilet paper and have them rip off the length they think would fit around your belly. I am SO bad at this game and always end up with a length that could go around the mum-to-be twice. But it's still fun.

Having little prizes for the winners can make it fun :) Nothing too fancy, but things like a bottle of lotion, a nice scented candle, or whatever suits your fancy.

I have been to a couple , never organized by the mum to be though, always a sister or best friend. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back