Baby shower alternatives

Nickinakinoo

Reaction score
Is any one having a baby shower? I no they're getting popular in the UK. I don't have a lot of friends and family is scattered all over the country but I was thinking about throwing a meet the baby shower after its born. My parents live abroad but are coming over a few weeks after baby's born and I thought my family far away might be more inclined to travel down to see baby and see my mum. Could even try and get the christening booked for the same day.

Good or bad idea? My only concern is planning something like that before its safely here!

My best friend is American and she's throwing me a baby showing as she says a proper American baby shower is needed. But a meet the baby sounds like a lovely idea. Maybe arrange it about 30 weeks? Xxx

They do meet the baby in Holland I went to one recently and it was lovely I think it is a great idea...at the end of the day do what best suits you.

That's a great idea. I don't really have many friends I see regularly and my husbands family lives in Essex. I might steal this idea x

My group of school friends normally have Afternoon Tea as a baby shower, often with games etc. Sometimes we've just got together for a meal when second baby is due etc, but I'd like to have a BBQ at my MiL's house that my mum can come to as well as it would be July-ish lol.

Would like to also have a 'meet the baby' afterwards, which at this rate might well be a house warming too :shock:

I am going to sound like a right cow now, but I absolutely HATE the idea of having a baby shower, and I am American! (mostly grown up in the Uk so best of both worlds lol).

I have been to a few baby showers now, and I just don't want people to be expected to bloody buy me loads and loads of stuff. I don't think it is right to pretty much make people buy you presents at all, and I always feel awkward once their babies are born because youve already bought them a gift, but once a baby arrives the first thing you wanna do is get them a gift! but if you have already spent money on that person, should you do it again?? Lol this is just my view. I also hate all those stupid games and stuff, told you I am a grumpy bitch lol! xx

If I do have a party there be no games or gifts, just an excuse to get together with cake and wine (for everyone but me) lexi I'm the same I wouldn't ask for gifts, makes me uncomfy! I don't even like getting Christmas presents! I like the idea but I'm worried no one will come, mum likes the idea because when she's been over before she doesn't get to see her brothers as they're in Manchester and we're on the south coast.

My mum hosted a 'baby shower' for me a couple of weeks ago but in reality it was 15 friends and family sitting around eating cake and gossiping! We didn't play games and I stipulated I wanted people's presence NOT their presents on the Facebook message I sent inviting them.
I think in the olden days the 'meet the baby' shower WAS the christening, but obviously nowadays less and less people get their kids christened, so if you don't want a 'naming ceremony' or something like that then a meet the baby thing sounds like a really good alternative (and a great way of avoiding having loads of annoying relatives stretching their visits out over weeks and weeks after the baby is born!)

We don't ask for gifts or expect them among my friends, some of the closer ones might get some bigger items for each other though etc. I normally just do them a card with 'I owe you one Birthchart upon receipt of delivery time and date details' inside, which is seen as bit more unique and personal anyway.

Only time I did more was for Sister in Law when I got a supply of Lasinoh and Infacol lol xx

I ended up not having my shower, more and more people wanted to come and the thought of me looking like a baby elephant entertaining loads of folk. And I didnt want gifts but people were insisting so I was too stressed. I think meet the baby sounds better because youll maybe feel a bit more comfy in yourself and at home.

Theres saying dont buy gifts but I think people just do it anyway, any excuse to buy tiny baby clothes.

I wont bother with a shower this time. Ill have a leaving lunch at work and thats about all. Im very insistent on this being very low key.

xxxx

I am going to sound like a right cow now, but I absolutely HATE the idea of having a baby shower, and I am American! (mostly grown up in the Uk so best of both worlds lol).

I have been to a few baby showers now, and I just don't want people to be expected to bloody buy me loads and loads of stuff. I don't think it is right to pretty much make people buy you presents at all, and I always feel awkward once their babies are born because youve already bought them a gift, but once a baby arrives the first thing you wanna do is get them a gift! but if you have already spent money on that person, should you do it again?? Lol this is just my view. I also hate all those stupid games and stuff, told you I am a grumpy bitch lol! xx

Yeah I do agree.... I'm excited to see all my friends but I will be sending a message out stipulating I don't want gifts as we're really organised so would have got everything before baby is born anyway. And we're team yellow sooooo I don't want people buying loads of white clothes haha. However I do like the games and as I have friends all over the country it will be lovely to see them all. My friend is one of those people you don't say no too haha so I didn't really have much choice Hahaa xx

LOL.

I don't really like baby showers either, though I have loved buying for friends' babies, but one of my friends had a baby shower for her first baby and I had bought some gentle eco toiletries and eco disposables and I had been talking to her about using just water and cotton wool at first and then moving on to natural baby wash etc that are SLS & paraben free, and had also hoped she might try cloth nappies... then had to sit there biting my tongue when her grandma gifted her a load of Johnsons baby products and someone else bought a tonne of pampers nappies and johnsons & pampers wipes etc :oops: lol.

Baby showers weren't popular when I had my two. After the birth of my first I had loads of visitors, loads of cards, and loads of gifts.
Novelty had obviously worn off by the time I had my second as I had very few visitors, half as many cards, and no presents :| Made me feel rather sad for my second born. LOL
I'll probably get even less for this one as it's my third. I'll be surprised if I even get one "congratulations" card lol.

so if you don't want a 'naming ceremony' or something like that then a meet the baby thing sounds like a really good alternative (and a great way of avoiding having loads of annoying relatives stretching their visits out over weeks and weeks after the baby is born!)

However, it has it's downside.

Having a large get together for lots of people to meet the baby on the same day can mean a lot of people all wanting to see and hold the baby at the same time, so the baby ends up getting passed around a lot and can actually end up unsettled and overstimulated.

The bonus to spreading out visits and scheduling one or two people a day or even a week is it is less disrupting to the baby. Especially in the early weeks when they still need to feed lots and spend lots of time being held by their mum etc.
If you arrange for one person or one couple/family to come over at a time you can keep their visit short and the baby only has to be held by one or two new people that day and after they've gone you can go back to your 'routine' and reconnect, feed, change, let the baby nap etc. Where as with a Christening type get together it's often several hours or more and is noisier and busier and the baby has to deal with being passed around lots of new people. Just something to bare in mind.

I like the idea of a meet the baby as people will be more likely to travel for that. I'm gonna be the odd one out- I love baby showers! I can't wait to have mine with games and themes etc lol! X

The meet the baby I was at, the mother had her baby in a sling so no one got to hold it just coo over it, baby slept the whole time and no one was put out not getting a hold... I like the idea of getting all the visits done at once instead of dragged out.

I didnt allow Jackson to be held unless he was awake, que my mum rocking the moses when she came in and I went ape.

I alwaus feel sorry for wee babies being passed around like bread at a table :lol: :p

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back