baby rice

rainbow dancer

Reaction score
Lucy will be 20weeks on sunday. she is a big girl and i started her on baby rice once a day at around 5 ish as advised by our nursery nurse as she was waking and demolishing 2 x 8 oz bottles every night. i started off with just a teaspoon full and have worked up to having rice made with 1 0z of milk, she demolishes this and i wondered how much would be too much?. she loves the rice and apart from a little bit of banana i havnt tried her on anything else (i wanted to try and wait as close to 6 months as possible). i havnt started giving her it to try and get her to sleep through as she still wakes up for a feed in the night but dont want her to be hungry. she has 5-6 7 oz bottles a day. sorry to sound dumb thanks in advance xxx
:):)

I started Evie on 1 tsp of baby rice for a couple of weeks, now she is showing signs of wanting more! According to my books i can offer her up to 2-5 teaspoons by next week (so thats prob about a small bowl full when milk is added).

TBH until our babies are 6 months all they really need is milk, so i still favour the milk for her....even though she could probably take a lot more solid.

Have your tried some baby porridge? Evie loves bannana porridge...or i mush up a tiny bit of banana into her baby rice.

If you havent, then sign up to HIPP organic and cow and gate. They send you free samples, money off vouchers and feeding guides.

Also Annable Karmels weaning book is brilliant. It talks about TW and BLW...and types of food you can make/give, quantiites and when to give the food. Has a weekly planner it it for you too. You can get the book for a £5 on ebay.x

Last edited:
Try puréeing some fruit like apple and pear, banana etc. Baby porridge is another good meal to try. I don't go by the guides, I go with what LO wants. If he wants more then I give him more x x

I give Sophia 3 spoonfuls made up so it's quite stodgy, she prefers it that way!

thanks ladies.jennilisanne our babys are about the same age. is that 3 tablespoons made up? sorry being a bit thick. i doubled her rice yesterday and today and she wolfed it down!! maybe ill increase it a little again tommorow. cant beleive how much they are growing xx

In situations like these I find sometimes that there can be too much advice out there and mums can feel a bit swamped and confused.
Only you can read your baby. By the sounds of it she is ready for a little more. Every baby's appetite is different.
Perhaps you should take time to judge her appetite between the two of you. You will know yourself when she has had enough.
J xxx

I increased mine several times in sucession (baby porrige) and then had to back it down a bit as Devon got a tad bunged up, so I would be careful to not ramp up too much at once like I did!

Organix do a apple baby porridge that's yum, and then for other days, I use the plain porridge, with a ice cube of pure fruit, eg apple, pear , blueberry or mango, and it makes for variety in the morning

He has about 2.5 oz of milk with then added porridge and a small ice ube of fruit, and he is 5.5 months now if that helps, but all babies are different. I don't want to upp it more than that as he is drinking far less milk after porridge as he is more full up and i'm happy he has plenty of milk for now

Last edited:
thanks ladies. i dont want her being bunged up !! she still has the same amount of milk so what she is getting is additional and not instead of. do you think i should introduce a wee bit of water now too?? difficult but like you all say instincts are better than anything elsexxx

I say if you feel she is ready and there is no harm in trying a tiny bit (water) then give it a little go.
This is a wonderful learning process.
Its trial and error.
If she is a little full one day, then you know to tone it down the next day.

Hope this comes across the way I mean it to. Genuinely believe your the best person to answer the question as your her mummy and you know her better than anyone xx

Matilda is 17 weeks on wed and I have been trying her on a few bits here and there for the last couple of weeks as she is not satisfied with just milk! So far shes had sweet potato, butternut squash, carrot, mashed potato, roast dinner blitzed, peppers both cooked and raw (me holding them and her chewing them), banana, cereal, rice pudding and sugar free jelly and custard! She has the equivilent of about two ice cubes worth of whatever for breakfast, usually banana porridge with a 7oz bottle then has a 7 oz bottle every three to four hours and has her last feed anywhere from 6.30 to 8.30pm then thats her off for the night. Occasionally IF she wakes up its usually around 5.30 and I dream feed her with a 6oz and she goes back over till around 9ish.

Like the other girls have said go with what you and your LO are happy with as the guides are simply that.....a guide but I think we as mothers know best xxxx

Wow she is doing well and such a variety well done . Well I was beginning to try introduced fruit purée last night but burned it!! Going to get some bits and start her on different tastes today. I agree that we know our babys best i was just cautious as she cowmilk intolerance and you read all these scare munger stories of other allergies but think weRe faiy safe with fruit n veg. Thanks for your advicexx

Matthew loves fruit and yoghurt breakfast, by Heinz! He generally has that before his 2nd bottle of the day, a small bowl full and at about 5 he has a small bowl of dinner eg carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, a few jars have been tried aswell and he loves them!
It's quite exciting trying him with new things, but very messy so beware! Lol!
Good luck with it all!
XxX

Yeah, 3 made up with about 1oz formula. I made 1 the first time and it was gone in a flash so now always make 3!

It's mad how time has gone isnt it! Our friends brought round their 3 week old yesterday, so tiny!!

I was going to ask about how many bottles people are giving their babies during weaning as I know you are meant to drop bottles.

Jack is having a 70z bottle when he gets up then 3 baby spoons of baby rice or porridge mixed with his formula, then he usually has another bottle about 11 then half a jar/pouch of organic baby food at lunchtime followed by half a petit filous and some pureed fruit (peach or banana usually) he drinks a load of water too usually about 6ozs a day and often refuses milk in favour of the water!! I then give him tea around 4.45 and then his last bottle at 7ish after his bath. Is he getting enough formula? is there a minimum amount he should have a day at his age?!

Sorry hun can't really help as Lucy is only having one meal a day at mo but still on same milk . I'm sure I read that at 6 months they should be having 600 mls but I may be wrong! I'm sure someone will be able to help xx

Argh, I don't kniw, I'm sure I'm doing it wrong!

I've not been keeping track of her milk feeds (still bfeeding), but at home it's still every hour or so. On the food front we've taken a massive step backwards. Started giving her veg but now doesn't really want any solids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back