Baby porridge/rice

Pinkprincess23

Reaction score
Hi all,

My little girl will be 10 weeks on sunday but was born at 37 weeks....she was 5lb2 and now weighs 9lb4. She is only drinking 4oz but wants feeding every 2-3 hours during the day and has between 5-6 bottle.(she sleeps 8-9 hours on a night) She was gaining weight quickly then in 2 weeks has only put on 2oz. A friend recommended giving her porridge/baby rice on a morn. I have tried upping her feeds to 5oz but she refuses to drink the last oz.

Just wanted to see what all your babies were drinking/eating before I speak to my HV.

Hope your all well.

S
xx

Hi Hun, she Sounds like she's doing really well & gaining weight nicely there weight gain will slow down now & again. i personally think she's too young for baby rice/porridge xx

I would prob just stick to milk hun. My l was born at 38 weeks and was 5lbs 2! I agree with zmd, i started weaning early but not that early, around 16 week i think!

If you're worried about her weight gain slowing, filling her up with rice or porridge is surely the last thing you want to do, better she leave the room for more milk?

I personally wouldn't hun she is still really little. Sounds like she is doing fab. Some babies arent that hungry mine was having the same at that age she is quite a petit baby. They get what they need from milk, don't want to upset their little digestive systems x

hi pinky, my lil chloe is the same (apart from the 8-9 hours sleep im very jealous)10 weeks old and can barely finish a 4oz feed. she has very broken feeds and very bad wind. she still likes her feeds little and often im personally going to wait till 4 months plus, would love to get a prope5r routine n feeds with milk befor introducing anything else. every baby is different vastly with feeds. its like on the back of my sma tin advises chloe should be on 5oz every feed that aint gonna happen anytime soon lol xxx i compare myself to my baby to stop myself getting alarmed, like we all have days when we arent as hungry as others or days when we could be grumpy and eat little and often or even really hungry days xx

I think it recommends not to attempt weaning before 17 weeks. I know ideally its meant to be 6 months but I remember reading somewhere that if you choose to do it earlier then not before 17 weeks. Your HV will be able to advise you though. x

Personally I wouldn't, she's too little. Persevere for the smaller bottles butperhaps try introducing an extra one if she won't take a bigger feed

Hi all, I have started to write down what time she has her feeds so I know exactly how much she is having. She is having 6 4oz feeds every 24hrs. The SMA feeding guidlines recommend for her age she should be having 5 5oz feeds in 24hrs (and thats for a baby weighing 10lb5oz) So I personaly think she is feeding fine. She has been feeding the same time everyday and if she is asleep when her feed is due she is waking naturally. I think I was just a bit shocked that she was putting on lots every 2 weeks then only had a small weightgain. Someone had on their fb about giving their baby hungry milk and someone commented that they had given their baby rice from been 2 weeks old! eeeekkkk.

S
xx

Hi hun,
I wouldn't go down that route yet. My LO was having 8 bottles a day, 3 oz each time. He was a little and often baby. At first he wasn't even on a centile now hes on the 91st!!! So just go with the flow chick xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back