Baby poo/formula

Charm

Reaction score
My baby son is 5 weeks old tomorrow and he is fed on SMA Gold size 1 teats. He takes around 3/4oz every 3/4 hrs.

He poos every other day and it is really big and quite hard, he cries and goes red as he poos.
Also after a feed he brings back a little milk every so often until the next feed.
When I wind him, he does a good couple of burps.

He also grunts during the night which I think is wind, but he does fart a lot so it must be coming out.
I've tried giving him a little cooled boiled water (which he hates) but I don't think it does much.

Do you think it could be the formula he's on or should I persevere and use size 2 teats.

Please advise...

Cx

The Sma Gold made Stanley constipated and uncomfortable too.

I know it's not one size fits all but we switched to Cow and Gate Comfort and haven't had a problem since.

He sounds constipated, changing formula might help. I think Aptimal (sp) gets a very good press with this kind of thing (and being kinder to babies tummy etc).
Have a chat with your HV and see what they recommend.

when we started using formula we started on Aptimal , but it made alice throw up after every feed. we swapped to sma, but that left alice consipated. so now we are on cow and gate and going fine :)

ive been told it has something to do with the iron levels in sma (but im not sure if i trust the HV that told me :lol: )

Exactly what happenend to me. Harry would cry his eyes out go red in the face and push with his legs he was so consipated, he would not take water. I changed to cow and gate and he poo's every day now and is much happier.

Ok, so we tried size 2 teats for 24 hours to see if he still falls asleep mid feed and he did, but he also threw 3 full feeds back up :doh:

So I spoke to HV and the Cow and Gate helpline and have decided to try C&G Premium, just done his 1st feed and he took 4oz without a break on a size 1 teat and hasn't had a single bit of sick...fingers crossed his poo will be softer soon :pray:

Cx

every baby is different you just have to try a few formulas and when you find the one that suits your little one stick to it. i had a night mare with luke in the early months we tried lots of different formulas, he actually had his longest stint on SMA lactose free as they thought he was lactose intolerant but thankfully now he seems to have grown out of it and we are right back where we started from day one on sma gold and he is very settled.

i just tried a formula for a week and if it didn't work then i tried another one. i was so worried about changing his milk but babys are very adaptable and he hardly noticed. good luck i hope you get it sorted. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back