Baby groups and things.

zebrastripes

Reaction score
There's some sort of baby group-well, 0-5-thing which i have been invited to. It's at the nearest Sure Start I think...but it isn't Sure Start..It's called "Our Back Yard" and it is every Thursday morning starting next week.

I'm pondering whether to go or not, and can't make up my mind. On one hand, it would be nice to chat with some parents of small children as apart from on here, there is really nobody i can talk to...the few people i do know with babies and toddlers have either a) moved away in the last few months or b) think i'm completely mental because of my style of parenting.

On the other hand...I don't want to get there and find myself surrounded by a lot of people who,well, aren't my sort...or who think i'm not their sort. Would it be worth going? I know going to try it out once shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not the most sociable of creatures and to be honest this sort of thing has the potential to be pretty much akin to torture...

So..who goes to cheerful little baby gatherings? And what do you think of them?

zebrastripes said:
On the other hand...I don't want to get there and find myself surrounded by a lot of people who,well, aren't my sort...or who think i'm not their sort. Would it be worth going? I know going to try it out once shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not the most sociable of creatures and to be honest this sort of thing has the potential to be pretty much akin to torture...

I haven't been to any for the same reasons as yourself.

Hey zeb,

I'd really recommend going. I've found I've bonded with all sorts of different people who have different approaches to me, but we always have something to talk about as we've babies of similar ages. I try really hard to respect other people's choices and you can always hold back a bit on your opinions of things if you feel people would disapprove.

I don't think you have anything to lose by going, I'd give it a shot once, then if it doesn't work - don't go back. Although I would never normally meet my fellow Mummy friends (all 5-10 years older than me, different careers, different social networks - i.e. they have money, I don't!), we are so close as we've bonded through our babies and respecting each others' ways of bringing them up.

P.S. Willow's ticker age is wrong!

Valentine Xxx

i go to 3 a week all sure start and they are great i have made some good friends and all the babies are of a similar age.

plus willow will love it as my willow does.

valentine said:
P.S. Willow's ticker age is wrong!

Valentine Xxx

Hahahaha, it's because subconciously I don't want her to grow up :lol: Better change that.

I think I'll go, I suppose I may as well...after all if it does turn out that nobody talks to me and I feel like an idiot, well it'll only be for an hour or so anyway...

:?

I always think it'll take a few groups to get to know one that you like and get on with, so you may go to this one and it could be great or it could be awful, but with a range of 0-5 thats a lotta mums and babies :) I been to 3 groups, and 2 weren't my cup of tea but the last one I went to was great and they even came round my house with flowers when I'd not been for a couple of weeks to see if I was ok. You never know you might find a gem like that, but you won't know until you try :) x

I was worried about going to groups at first too, but now we go to loads and Clark and I both love it, plus by the time each one is finished Clark is so utterly knackered that I get an easy afternoon!

midna said:
OopsyDaisy said:
zebrastripes said:

I wont go for these reasons lol

me neither...it is torture to me.. I'm an antisocial mare bag :rotfl:

Squiglet said:
midna said:
OopsyDaisy said:
zebrastripes said:

and me :lol:

Claire&Jack said:
Squiglet said:
midna said:
OopsyDaisy said:
zebrastripes said:

and me...... except that I don't want Baby Smile to pick up on my antisocial side and learn that the world and other people are scary...

so I made myself go to baby signing last week - booked in advance si I couldn't back out - and structured so I wouldn't be alone for an hour if noone wanted to talk to me - and I quite enjoyed it in the end :)

smile said:
Claire&Jack said:
Squiglet said:
midna said:
OopsyDaisy said:
[quote="zebrastripes":2l5l8hpz]

and me...... except that I don't want Baby Smile to pick up on my antisocial side and learn that the world and other people are scary...

so I made myself go to baby signing last week - booked in advance si I couldn't back out - and structured so I wouldn't be alone for an hour if noone wanted to talk to me - and I quite enjoyed it in the end :)[/quote:2l5l8hpz]

This is how I felt but I really don't want Brody to end up as shy as me so I force myself to get out and go to a couple of groups as often as I can! I still try to make excuses though! :oops:

Hope you find one you like zebrastripes :hug:

There are none around my area - and the times when they are on in town Stephens at pre school.

jools221181 said:
smile said:
Claire&Jack said:
Squiglet said:
midna said:
[quote="OopsyDaisy":qvit6iot][quote="zebrastripes":qvit6iot]

so I made myself go to baby signing last week - booked in advance si I couldn't back out - and structured so I wouldn't be alone for an hour if noone wanted to talk to me - and I quite enjoyed it in the end :)[/quote:qvit6iot]

This is how I felt but I really don't want Brody to end up as shy as me so I force myself to get out and go to a couple of groups as often as I can! I still try to make excuses though! :oops:

Hope you find one you like zebrastripes :hug:[/quote:qvit6iot]

oooh mee tooo!!

Im such a nervous, quiet girl!

Unless I go with a friend, I HATE these kind of things!!
xxx

i dont find it easy meeting new people / making friends BUT i've just moved 400 miles from friends and family and i need to make an effort.

i went to one group near me and hated it but was recomended one down the road (by someone off here) and we love it. its really busy and if you dont want to chat to the other mums you just play with the kids! i've really noticed a change in Rosies development after we started going to playgroup. they need that interaction with other kids. All the women seem really nice (if a bit bonkers..... we just a few of them) Remeber some of them are probably in the same situation as yourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back