Babies Surname

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know its still early days for me and probably far to early to be thinking of names but i just cant help it!

When i went for my scan last week the first question they asked was what is the babies surname. My partner and I arent married so it sort of threw me. I always said that i wouldnt want a different surname to my baby and would hyphenate it if i had to..

However. my surname is Norwood and my partners is Jordan.. Norwood-Jordan sounds rubbish!! My partner really wants the baby to take his surname and im sure we will get marred at some point but not for a few years.

What do you reakon.. im thinking of just sticking with Jordan as the surname and stop being so stubburn..

Claire x

in the hospital the baby will have your sir name for security you dont have to decide until you go to register, my kids have double barrelled sir names :hug:

My DD has her dads surname as i prefer it to mine but it does upset me sometimes. I wish i'd double barrelled it :(

I was actually thinking this today, now me and OH wont be getting married for a while yet and I will always take his surname. Our baby is having his surname too. I was thinking for my 21st I would change my surname to the same as his. I like his better anyways! :D

Yeah i could do with some advice on this to.

Im a Sharp Oh is a Cummings we will get married at some point .

Problem is my nine year old is also a sharp and im worried about him being the only person with a different name. (he doesnt want to change)

Do you think a Cummings-Sharp or Sharp-Cummings works?

Our baby will have my OH's surname. I doubt we will ever get married (marriage just isn't really my thing) but I have no problem with not having the same surname as my kid. I think Shakespeare said it best 'a rose by any other name would smell as sweet'.

However in your situation if you really want your child to have your name then you should go with that, you could always change by deed poll if you marry your OH at a later date. It really depends how important it is to you.

Personally I'm not keen on double barrelled names as they tend to be long and in my job (IT support) creating user accounts for people with double barrelled surnames is a pain. I also read somewhere that when this generation of kids get to marrying age if two people with double barrelled surnames decide to marry and want to double barrel their surnames they'll have four surnames hyphenated which sounds a bit daft! :D

Mildly said:
I think Shakespeare said it best 'a rose by any other name would smell as sweet'.

Thats very true. I think i will just stick to Jordan. Im not keen on double barelled surnames much either (far too long winded) and if i got married id lose my surname no problem, its just going to be a bit wierd with a baby which hasnt the same surname.

Thanks for your replies!!

Claire x

me and OH aren't married but baby will take his surname. When she goes to school- if we haven't married by then (he's got 5 years to ask me :wink: ) then I will change my name to his so that we all have the same surname.

Removed personal information

Last edited:
Mine would always have my surname, even if she'd been my ex's when we were almost engaged she'd still have mine.

Then if/when we'd married hers would change then, its easier to change it to his then from it, plus i woudlnt want to walk around with my baby with a different surname to me.

If you're very secure it can work, but if your going to get married anyway you could wait and change babies then. It's up to you.

All my children have their dads surname! I wouldnt want it any other way! In a way it is a shame as Im the last in the line with my name but Im proud they have their daddies name so its ok! And double-barreling just wasnt an option haha Monaghan-Mottershead? haha

I'm married but don't have OH surname but kids will, I don't really mind

My LO has OH's surname, mainly cos I prefer his to mine lol. It doesn't really bother me having a different name to her, and we're planning to get married next year anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back