surname/s..

Sherlock said:
kalia said:
I just wanted to repeat what someone else said - there are a lot of circumstances in which your child will need to use their official name in later life. School (because ultimately their exam certificates need to have their proper name on them), bank accounts, driving license, passport... As these are all forms of proof of ID, they would have difficulties at times proving who they were if they called themselves something different (for example, cashing a cheque or collecting parcels from the post office). Long term it would be confusing. If you want to give LO a double barreled name or just one surname that would be less confusing. Maybe you could use the other surnames as middle names instead? But at the end of the day, it's your decision. :hug:

We are opting for a double barrelled surname (I didn't take hubbys name when we married) but as the childs middle name isn't going to be used in day to day life either, it won't be anything over the top surname wise. I know of some parents at schools who have double barrelled surnames but who drop the last name off and only use one part of the surnames for their kids in day to day school life etc and its been fine. Yes on official paperwork the full surname will be used, but simple day to day life it can be left off.

I didn't use part of my surname at all during my school years and it was only when I left school I began using it. Thinking about it, my first bank account didn't use it either and that wasn't opened till I was 17. And still to this day I have never had any problem in dropping off the short part in day to day life. I don't find it a hassle to use it officially and having to sign official stuff in full is no biggie, my signature is a squiggle anyways :roll: :lol: And I always have to spell my surname regardless.

Willow's surname is double-barrelled.I'm the last for my surname,except for some weird cousins in Japan,also i carried her for 9 months and am doing the majority of the care,plus we are not married so I didn't see why she should only have OH's surname.

If we ever marry i won't change my name.I don't see why I should,plus I like it

Romi is double-barrelled, we are going to double barell mine too after the wedding, it sounds ok, so why not lol. Parker-Brooks isnt too bad

Sherlock said:
Sahara said:
We are engaged but I don't think we will be getting married very soon - con't afford it!!

We got married for less than £300 in total.

You can have a great day on a smaller budget anyways :)

Never saw the need for spending a huge amount on a big wedding, but I know it appeals to some :)

:D I always think if people put as much effort into their marriages as they do into their weddings there wouldn't be half as many divorces.

Our baby's going to have my OHs surname, coz when we do get married I will be having his.

Before my "sperm donor" ran away, baby was going to have his surname too, even before he proposed. Just a personal preference :)

Now of course he/she will be unlucky enough to just have mine (Priestman)!! Going off track now but at school, people used to say "Is your dad a priest... Maaan?" or "Are you religious? Are all the men in your family priests?" lol! Kids can be cruel :evil:

What are the surnames you are looking to put together by the way? Out of curiosity?

xx

:D hehe I would get the "Lumberjack song" from Monty Python sang at me when I was at school (My last names Lumber)

Oh's is Corbett so kid will probley be tortured with "is your dad Ronnie" but i love his last name it reminds me of sorbet! A girl i baby sat once said she liked my name because it made her think of Slumber and she thought it sounded sleepy! :D

:rotfl: you made me laugh gingercubes!!

Aww that's a lovely way of thinking, "slumber" how sweet are children?!

xx

if the father of my child wasnt prepared to marry me, i wouldnt give my child his surname!!!

because we got married and i took his name the baby will have the same, but im giving her my maiden name as a middle name, to keep the name alive!
i guess everyones circumstances different though and you do what feels right for you

Me and Lee arent married...

And i dont want to be for a very long time

Im giving my little boy his name because im hoping we'll be together in the future.
And i know that we will get married.

my boys have my surname, and this baby will also have my surname.
we are looking at getting married soon, (we were planing for this year 29th sept, but a little someone has come along to change that!)

i would like for us to have a double barreled name, but, my surname is Van Parys, and my hubby's in Woodacre. and bearing in mind our children will have a three sylable name, my eldest would be Benjamin Van Parys-Woodacre it's a bit of a mouthful... i think in the end we'll just all take his surname.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back