• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Babies sleeping position?

Rachaellius

Reaction score
Hiii I was just wondering what everyones opinion was on which way you should put the baby down to sleep. Now I know the professionals say on their back, I went for my antenatal class today and she said this is strictly what we must do. I'm gonna make a different post about my antenatal class later when I can get on the laptop.
But family members have said something different which made me worry a bit.
My mom and nan have said its better to lie the baby on its side with a rolled up blanket behind its back to stop them rolling on their back. They say this is the best way because if you lie the baby on their back they can be sick in their sleep and then swallow it and choke :shock:
I'm really worried about it now, what do you all think is best?

x
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

They used to say baby should be on their side incase they were sick but the past 15 years + they have said on their back and feet to foot to help stop the risk of cot death x it stops them putting their face into the mattress and also helps keep their airway open x

I'd say not all the up to date professional advice can be wrong and they all say put them on their back - something to do with restricting their breathing if they're face down and increasing the risk of cot death...will def be putting my LO on their back x

What is the actual feet to foot position?? I keep hearing it but it's never been explained to me

Hunnie, I think it means their feet up against the footboard end of the cot, something to do with stopping them wriggling down under the covers or something.

Last edited:
Ahh I wondered if it was something like that :) thank you!!

Yep, baby should definitely sleep on it's back, with it's feet against the bottom of the cot or bassinet.it'll be interesting to see what they're telling people in another 15/20 years, seeing as it seems to change so often :)

Everything is just so conflicting and confusing isnt it. I've just had a peek in ask a mum section and the majority of those say their baby prefers to sleep on either tummy or side because of choking hazards :S confused x

I heard that even if you put a baby on their back, their head will still be on a side - they don't like lying facing right up. So I would think this would reduce the chances of choking...

Its really confusing isn't it.

My mum used to put me down on my tummy & i'm 27. Then they changed it to side & now back. I suppose if you think about it - if they're on their side & fall on their face you might not hear it, but if they're on their backs & start choking..you'd hear it, through monitor or by being in same room?? Its the only thing I can think of!!

:roll:

Hmm I never thought of that either littlemiss, I guess your right though you are more likely to wake up if they choke.

Thanks for the advise ladies xx

Hey, my LO sleeps on his back, but like i.love says, they mostly sleep with their head to one side. My LO hates facing the ceiling, he prefers to face either side so he can try and reach out to the sides of the moses basket!

Also, if he's sick, normally I can hear it so I can check him, but it normally just dribbles out of the side that he's facing so it's really unlikely he'd choke...

Hope that helps :)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back