August mummies 2012 weaning ideas!

Tweety I got myself really worked up about the salt thing - trying to work out how much I had used, then how much salt would be in that. Was taking over me for a while. Then I spoke to my friend who is a nurse and a mummy, and she told me to check salt contents isn't ridiculous, and then just give him it. Don't add salt to anything. It's hard because some adult sauces that we use in cooking does contain high salt. But perhaps watering it down and the actual amount they eat the salt would be ok.
Also Heinz do baby sauces, so does Annabel Kramer? A baby bolognaise sauce, baby curry sauce. W seems to like them. Or iv made my own sauces.
I don't see why you can't just give him stir fry and pasta bakes.
Purée some and give him a little noodle to hold. Just to feel it? That's actually a good idea. I might try it.xx

This is what I have stuck to, I just use baby stock cubes. As for curry I add in all the normal spices but take out C's portion before adding chilli xx

So tonight I puréed some chicken, rice, ham, spring onions and red pepper with some water

Two question

Can he have this?
Can I freeze it?

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

Sounds fine for him to have and yes you can freeze it and use within 1 month xx

Didn't know you could get baby stock cubes. I've been making my own without any salt in. Makes it a bit of a faff though as I can't freeze the stock, get it out and use it and then freeze whatever I've made. So I either have to make a whole batch of food with the fresh stock as soon as its made or make small bits with it from the fridge. Iykwim.

Has anyone tried their LOs with things like chickpeas? I make my own hummus as its proper easy to make and much tastier too and was going to make a version with no salt and a tiny bit if garlic for T to dip veg sticks into.

Will he be ok with the chickpeas and is garlic ok, say half a clove per tin of chickpeas. Also I though I'd use seasame seeds rather than tahini - would that be ok?

Sorry about all the questions!
Xx

So tonight I puréed some chicken, rice, ham, spring onions and red pepper with some water

Two question

Can he have this?
Can I freeze it?

Tapatalk madness!

Yes be really super careful about how you reheat it. It'll have to be piping hot all the way through and left to cool before you give it to A. Xx

Two question

Can he have this?
Can I freeze it?

Tapatalk madness!

Yes be really super careful about how you reheat it. It'll have to be piping hot all the way through and left to cool before you give it to A. Xx

Goo to know thanks Hun x

Tapatalk madness!

Cam is just over 6 1/2 months and has had a mix of purees and finger foods...

Purees:

Broccoli
Peas
Parsnip
Sweet potatoe
Mango
Pear
Apple
Avocado
Banana
Various jars of ready made food
Fish Pie
Sausage Casserole
Roast chicken with all the trimmings
Cottage pie
Tuna sweetcorn pasta bake
Petit Filous
Baby rice
Baby porridge

Finger foods:

Butter toast
Cheese on toast
Red pepper
Yellow pepper
Green pepper
Broccoli florets
Cauliflower florets
Carrots
Brussel sprouts
Mashed potatoe
Banana
Watermelon
Tomatoe
Peach
Pear
Cheese
Pineapple
Mandarin

He's also had a big handful of carrot cake that he pinched off my plate! Cheeky!

I was so worried about weaning to start with, but I'm loving it now and so is Cam.

Last edited:
Didn't know you could get baby stock cubes. I've been making my own without any salt in. Makes it a bit of a faff though as I can't freeze the stock, get it out and use it and then freeze whatever I've made. So I either have to make a whole batch of food with the fresh stock as soon as its made or make small bits with it from the fridge. Iykwim.

Has anyone tried their LOs with things like chickpeas? I make my own hummus as its proper easy to make and much tastier too and was going to make a version with no salt and a tiny bit if garlic for T to dip veg sticks into.

Will he be ok with the chickpeas and is garlic ok, say half a clove per tin of chickpeas. Also I though I'd use seasame seeds rather than tahini - would that be ok?

Sorry about all the questions!
Xx

Yes plum make them as do Organix. C loves my hummus! Smears it all over his face and has a lovely smug look on his little face. I use garlic and it's been fine with C.

Not sure about the sesame seeds but I cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't be OK Hun xx

Gave Cam some Organix carrot stick thingys (like giant wotsits) and biscotti and went down really well. The biscotti in particular was a big hit!! He cried when he realised there wasn't anymore!

XX

So Aaron is on "proper food" pureed now.

So far he's had spaghetti bolognese, pasta in tomato sauce with veg, roast beef dinner, chicken, potato & veg stuff like that.

Tonight I made chicken, sweet potato and veg.

I want to have as much variety as possible, but I'm out of ideas already. I have the annabel karmel book, I really should read it.

I have some cod & pork in the freezer - so looking for ideas really

I just give Cam whatever we have for tea. Just whizz up a load in the blender and freeze a bit too.

How about fish pie? That was the very first 'proper' meal Cam had.

XX

I've been trying to give him what we have, but theres quite a lot that isn't baby friendly, mostly because I've taken to using jar sauces for convenience.

Will try a fish pie thanks

What about before you add your jar sauce can you take some out? Would it be ok for Aaron to have then? Maybe make a white sauce? Or a baby gravy? Iv not made anything with fish yet. I need to try it soon. I don't eat fish. So I don't know how to cook it.xxx

I think I just need to stop being lazy and make stuff from scratch more :wall2:

Hubby isn't a fan of fish really, but I suppose I could make something for me and Aaron

It's hard... I need to make more for W... I'm looking online for inspiration now...!xx

I too find it difficult sometimes which is why I mix wean, it gives easier variety on their plate. When I go food shopping I think 'rainbow food' and try and get a bit of each colour in the fruit and veg aisle.

Then either cut it into sticks for T to have raw (whatever is appropriate) or steam and whizz it together.

Beef stew is easy to make as I cook the veg in my own stock and then add a small amount if beef in and whizz the whole lot together. Don't need to cook masses of it either otherwise I don't have enough pots to put it in the freezer in ha ha!

Simple ones are advacdo mashed. Or banana and papaya mashed together. He loves them.

Homemade hummus (chickpeas, little garlic and tahini, olive oil) whizzed together makes a great dip that he can dunk pitta, carrot sticks, peppers cucumber etc into. Plus as it only keeps three days I make a big extra for me and my Doritos! Win win xxx

Forgot I had this pic. Some of it isn't relevant yet for our LOs but gives some lovely ideas xx
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363757797.306693.jpg

Aww that pic is fab FBE!

Aaron can't do finger foods yet (have him a bite of a chip the other night and it was still in his mouth 30 mins later lol!!)

When I'm making his purée I always think rainbow food too as I always think that if I'm cooking for myself!

Tapatalk madness!

Yeah, when T gets a bit older, I'd love to serve him a plate like that. Get him really excited about eating his food xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back