August mummies 2012 weaning ideas!

Tanya4beauty

Reaction score
Thought it ma be a good idea to start a thread related to our little ones age as the other thread doesn't show tickers and I'd like some ideas relevant to our bubbas.
I'm getting a bit stuck at times so I'm looking for inspiration. I've noticed Mia is preferring to feed herself at the moment but she's gagging a lot which I find really uncomfortable! Anyway today so far she has had:-
Breakfast:- weetabix with my own pear/apple purée mixed in (only ate a few spoonfuls as she's really gone off breakfast at the mo) and some toast with butter (no salt) which she loves!
Lunch:- pizza bread (from the weaning ideas thread but she didn't really like it!), sweet potato,broccoli,cauliflower and cheese purée and half a fruit pot.

Last edited:
:) my little man is 7months now. He's doing really well with his meals.
I feel I'm a bit repetitive. I find he loves feeding himself too. We've only had a couple of gagging incidents xxx

I feel I'm a bit repetitive. I find he loves feeding himself too. We've only had a couple of gagging incidents xxx

That's what I'm finding, I don't find a lot if our meals suitable for her and feel like I'm constantly giving her chicken or beef with veg and potato! I've made a few recipes for her nutshell really does like feeding herself. I'm a bit scared to give her fruit (apart from banana) to feed herself in case she chokes cos she sucks on it so hard! I've steamed apple and pear and given it to her like that cos then it just mushes.
What sort of things do you give your lo? X

It's timing I'm struggling with. He eats at about 4.30, my OH doesn't finish work till 5pm. So I'm having to make him dinner, then ours?
I don't know if I should feed him a bit later. He's in such a good routine.
Finger food wise I give him prunes, strawberrys - big hit! Melon, cut up grapes, rasins. He loves toast, with butter or philidelphia or mashed banana. Dinner is usually beef, or chicken with veg haha! I have made him eggy bread. He liked that. I have tried him with tomato soup he liked that I thickned it up by tearing up some bread. Iv made him spag Bol it wasn't so much of a hit. Macaroni cheese with penne pasta so he could pick it up. He's had some baked potato and low salt beans too. Mashed up with a little butter..xxx

Crumpets, croissants are a winner too!xx

Spag Bol wasn't much of a hit here either!! Strawberrys are a big hit but I've not tried melon or raisins. Might give them a try. I've tried toast/crumpets. Might have to try mac cheese and jacket potatoes.
I wouldn't worry about his dinner time, ours is 4pm because that's when she always had her bottle and hv suggested dropping that one to get her to eat more at tea time so ours is quite early too but I think you just have to go with them at the mo. I'll eventually try to get it to 5pm but I'm just going with whatever works at the mo! Xx

Yeah William has a bottle at 7.30, 1.30 and 8pm. So it's easy to fit in meals. But I don't think he would last till we have our dinner. Think I'll stick to it at 4pm. When I go back to work he will need to be later though xx

That's what I'm finding, I don't find a lot if our meals suitable for her and feel like I'm constantly giving her chicken or beef with veg and potato! I've made a few recipes for her nutshell really does like feeding herself. I'm a bit scared to give her fruit (apart from banana) to feed herself in case she chokes cos she sucks on it so hard! I've steamed apple and pear and given it to her like that cos then it just mushes.
What sort of things do you give your lo? X

De-seeded watermelon is fab cos it's so mushy xx

Mango is also really good if its ripe as are pears. T will gum an apple slice, but if you are really worried then you can get those little mesh things to put the fruit in until they get used to it a bit more xx

We are doing blw and it is working for us at the moment so far Cs favourites are:

Toast
Cheese on toast
Pancakes- I hide things in pancakes like tuna and other meats
Bread sticks
Rice cakes
Carrot and banana muffins (homemade)
Broccoli
Asparagus
Carrots
Fritata
Omelette
Bolognese with pasta
Pasta with tomato sauce
Chicken curry
Arancini (risotto balls)
Roaster veg- red peppers are his favourite
Banana
Watermelon
Honeydew melon
Strawberries
Mango
Blueberries
Plain yoghurt
Homemade custard

I am sure there are more hits xx

Silly question alert - I bought a parsnip, and sweet potato I want to try him with roasted veg, can I roast these? And how do I do it?xx

Yeah I roast them for T he loves it. I cut then into sticks then pour over a little oil and I add a tiny bit if herbs then lob it in the oven for about 20-30 mins. I usually do mine at 180 degrees. Whatever is left over I purée.
Xxx

Ava eats lots! :) so was starting to struggle with changing up her meals! X
- carrots broccoli cabbage cauliflower potatoes yorkshire and gravey
- fish pie carrots onions potatoes and cod or haddok
-sheppards pie
-cornedbeef stew
-cornedbeef pie
-strawberries
-blueberries
-grapes
-cheesy pasta
-chicken pasta
-yogurts
-apple and mango purified (although since she's been teething she loves biting on an apple piece)
-spaghetti bolognaise
-blueberry muffins home made
She pretty much eats anything I make her. She loves the heinz biscotti biscuits too
The only thing I struggle with is desserts I just don't know what to give her! X

Nope I mash her veg and potatoes but she's a very good eater and enjoys eating whole food! The mince I chop a little smaller for her! X

I'm an early September mummy but jumping in anyway :lol:

I'm just starting to get Aaron onto "proper foods" so today he had spag bol for the first time.

I'm trying to figure out what he can and can't have of what we eat.

Can I give him a chicken stir fry with noodles pureed? (Providing not too spicy)

What about curry? Is chicken tikka masala too spicy?

The other one I'm wondering about that I make quite often is chicken fried rice - it has Soy Sauce in it, but I would take out Aaron's portion before adding it. So it would be chicken, rice, spring onions, red pepper, egg, ham?

Then I assume all pasta bakes etc are fine?

I've got into the habit of using jar sauces as its quick, but obviously I need to watch the sodium levels now. Whats the guidelines for sodium again?

Hiya tweety I'm not sure about the guidelines for spice, I made chicken till the other day but toke Ava's chicken out and made up a tomato sauce she loved it I did dip my finger in the tika for her to try an she came back for more so next time I will take her chicken out and give her a bit of sauce on the side too see how she goes,
Chicken fried rice is fine if he is able to eat the rice.
Sodium is less than 0.4g a day I think!
And pasta bakes are fine I bought Ava the tiny baby shells and so I haven't got to purify them she does really well with them! X

Last edited:
Tweety I got myself really worked up about the salt thing - trying to work out how much I had used, then how much salt would be in that. Was taking over me for a while. Then I spoke to my friend who is a nurse and a mummy, and she told me to check salt contents isn't ridiculous, and then just give him it. Don't add salt to anything. It's hard because some adult sauces that we use in cooking does contain high salt. But perhaps watering it down and the actual amount they eat the salt would be ok.
Also Heinz do baby sauces, so does Annabel Kramer? A baby bolognaise sauce, baby curry sauce. W seems to like them. Or iv made my own sauces.
I don't see why you can't just give him stir fry and pasta bakes.
Purée some and give him a little noodle to hold. Just to feel it? That's actually a good idea. I might try it.xx

Thanks for all the fab ideas ladies!
Today breakfast was much the same as always but she is starting to eat weetabix a bit more keenly with fruit in it!
Lunch was out so cheated with a Ella's kitchen cheesy pie and a fromage frais
Dinner was cod,broccoli and potato puréed, Philly on bread, fruit pot and some melon.
I've got some salmon to do with butternut squash and some lamb mince to make something with. Just needed some ideas really. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back