Ashamed and need help

Kim

Reaction score
It's taken me weeks to pluck up the courage to write this because I'm utterly ashamed and it took me a while to admit to myself there was a problem, never mind anyone else. I apologise now if it turns into a novel but I need to get it off my chest.

I don't know how to put it or where to start, even thinking of the right words to say is so hard. Well here goes:

I'm not enjoying being a mum at the moment.

There I said it.

I'm finding it increasingly hard to cope. When Rubie was tiny I found motherhood easy and fun. She slept a lot and would happily play alone for a couple of hours. Now she's a bit bigger I'm falling apart. Rubie is quite active, ie she wont sit still, not even for a minute, especially in my arms. I feel rejected by her because she wont sit or lay with me. She shows no signs of recognition she never puts her arms up for me to pick her up, she doesn't smile at me much, sometimes she looks past me. She is almost constantly grizzly, I can't seem to please her. She wont sit in her chair, or her baby walker, or her pram, or anywhere to be honest, for more than 5 minutes. I'm constanly having to go and move her or pick her up. She doesn't cry when I leave the room, she'll cry whether I'm there or not. When daddy or grandma walk in they get a huge grin, when I walk in; nothing.

It's getting to the point where I'm not enjoying spending time with her. I know I'm a bad mother, what mother says that about their own baby, I don't need anyone to point that out I do know that. My mum used to ask to take her for a few hours and I would say no because I wanted her with me all the time, but now I am asking her to have her all the time. And because she always will, I ask even more. I look forward to my mum coming and taking her, I look forward to her naps and bedtime.

I just don't know how to entertain her, how to interact with her. Every night I go to bed and look at her sleeping and cry because I feel so guilty about the way I have been feeling and that I don't spend enough quality time with her. But I can't even bring myself to spend a full day with her because I find myself getting stressed and don't want to lose my temper with her because it's not her fault. I look forward to OH coming home and if he is busy I well up because he isn't going to take her off my hands. He is playing with her now while I am typing this. I should be there playing with her too but I'm not, I'm being selfish and sitting on the computer.

I love her more than anything and hate myself for feeling like this.

Please someone help me find a way to enjoy my daughter again.

I don't know what to say hun but I'm sending you a big hug. I am feeling the same at the moment, not coz Damien is grizzly, but coz of his health. You're NOT a bad mum
:hug:

xxxxx

Hi Kim!

First of all, sorry that you are feeling this way. you are not a bad mum, you are just tired and that is understandable. If I am being honest (hope OH will not read this :oops: ) I am happy to be back at work. when i was not working, sometimes looking after Thomas was difficult. and there were some days I did not like being a mum. I was tired and all I was doing was looking after Thomas. i felt depressed, like i had no identity at all and each time Thomas was crying i felt like i could just go out of the house and be on my own for a while ( which is not possible as we do not know anybody) going back to work was tiring at first but i can assure you it is not as tiring as looking after a baby 24/7. even now sometimes when thomas cries i get so tired after 10 minutes and wish he could sleep so i can sleep. but going to work makes me appreciate my little boy so much more than if i had stayed at home.

If your mum is ok looking after rubie, why don't you leave her for a day or an afternoon and do something on your own to relax. Ask your OH if he can look after her for a while to relax. the more tired you get and the more paranoid you will feel about things so make sure you are sleeping ok. /Is rubie sleeping through?

do you also go to group things like swimming? It will take the "weight off" of being on your own and will make you enjoy your little girl more.Do not keep those feelings for yourself, talk to someone you can trust.

i am sure this phase will go away but it is always better to go through those patches with support.
hope you will feel better soon :hug:

Kim said:
I look forward to my mum coming and taking her, I look forward to her naps and bedtime.

I do, i need some me time, I wasnt born a mummy.

((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
please please please dont say you are a bad mum, you just arent coping at the moment and the fact you can recognise this means you are a good mum. I beg you to talk to your mum or oh or a health visitor. No one is going to judge you. Babies can be very fickle and at 6 months I rarely got a smile directly at me. The fact she wont sit still shows she is champing at the bit to get up and active, mines was a nightmare when she was at these stages, she just wanted to be up and about.

Do you put cbebbies on? It will buy you some time, im not saying have in front of telly all day but there is nothing wrong with a wee bit :D

I feel so bad for you just now, you and rubie are perfectly normal, its just a bad patch and its hitting you hard.

I will post again later, you will be okay.

Hi Kim :hug:

I have days like it too - especially at the moment. I find Ella extremely tiresome some days and yesterday I felt like banging my head against a wall as I was so stressed out with her constant whinging. :wall: If I get out of the house and take her swimming or for a walk it helps, but in this weather it makes it hard too as it's just too hot.

You're not a terrible mother at all. I agree with you that things were a lot easier when they were newborns, we've both got demanding divas I feel (must be a Xmas thing ;) ).

Do you feel that talking to a counsellor would help?

Hi Kim,
Sorry i dont have many great words of advice but just wanted to send you a big hug.... (((((((((( :hug: ))))))))
i definitely dont think you are a bad mum in the slightest and you shouldnt feel like you are.
Really hope you are feeling better soon
will chat to you on msn soon, take care hun xxx

oh Kim, Im sorry you are having a hard time...
Im sure all us mummies can sympathise. Honestly I think we all feel like that at some point or other.

You are not a bad mum and you must believe that! Ruby can probably sense you are not happy. I have been very close to loosing it & sometimes really scare myself of what I could do on impulse.
Something my step dad told me when I was going through a simular thing which made me stop and think was "as long as your baby is loved, cared for, fed and watered then then what more do they need... that is far more than many babies in this world recieve" This made me put things in perspective and I felt less pressurized, when things are bad I just think im doing the best I can.

I look forward to Aimee's nap times too as its the only time we get a minute to ourselfs, if she hasnt had one then she drives me up the wall by the end of the day & if DH comes home and is too busy to do anything I thorw a right paddy :evil:

Your just adapting to her changing, one thing I suppose im lucky with is Aimee was a nightmare as a newborn & very difficult but she is slowly getting better & I can handle it better now also as I have had a long time to get used to it.

x

ok.... I found something to make you feel better..... one for you one for me!!!

976388969.jpg

Ah Kim, I'm not a mum yet so can't offer any constructive advice.

All I know is, if you were a bad mum, you wouldn;t have posted this message cause you wouldn;t care less!

i don't know any mums that havent thought when things are bad that they are not enjoying being a mum, i have days where i love it im really happy and others where it crosses my mind for just a second i wish i was single again, its hard but these hard times pass and in the end the good outways the bad my first jake i remember tearing my hair out he just wanted to be held all the time and wouldnt settle unless rocked and woke so much through the night i was so depressed but i tried controlled crying and things got better both my boys sleep all night now :D
don't beat urself up ur a great mummy and we all know it i hope things get better 4 u soon xhannahx

ahh kim :hug: I felt that that when matthew was younger I just kept thinking what have i done and would constantly be out and about with him as he wouldnt sleep and would cry all the time it was so hard and going out helped keep my sanity, but it got easier and he is a beautiful happy and content baby, all of us have proberbly felt that way at one time or another, I'm sure she loves you maybe its the fact that she sees you all the time she doesnt feel the need for giving you attention whereas everyone else its a novelty, I am sure things will change they always do babies change their attitudes as often as we change their nappies! Keep your chin up hun and we are all here if you need us.

Aw hun....Ive seen you in action....your great.
Its hard to even think about admitting you are finding things difficult, i have often wanted to say it but i darent, so well done you for saying so.
Do you fancy taking the girls swimming one day next week? (i know i said NO WAY....but as long as you promise not to laugh at thunder thighs and cellulite!!)
Rubie is a gorgeous little hunnie, but we all look forward to bed time etc, its bloody hard work, and i think sometimes we try too hard to keep them happy, as in we might overstimulate them sometimes.
Any way, hope to chat on MSN soon.
Chin up chick, xxxx :hug:

You're not a bad Mum, don't beat yourself up. This motherhood thing is so hard, I look forward to him sleeping too- I reckon everyone does, it doesn't mean you're bad to her honest. Are there things to do with babies locally as I have really found that doing organised things helps, it helps me enjoy him without feeling like I should be doing something else or wondering how to amuse him. We go swimming once a week, there's a baby singing group near us and we're doing singing and signing. Although you sometimes have to pay up front classes work out at less than the price of lunch out really and it's worth it for some fun time together. It also gives me ideas of things to do with him when we're at home. Last week I couldn't get out to all my groups and I got really down- it's almost like doing more makes it easier to get the other housework stuff done. Going out also tires him out ;)

Might be worth a go? Otherwise keep giving yourself some time out- several of my friends have afternoons off when a relation takes the baby- I would leap at the chance!!

+++

KIM......... DON'T BE DAFT!!!!!

There that was short and sweet!! :hug:

Just wanted to say the same as everyone else. I felt much the same as future mum could not wait to get back to work after my first child so that I had some routine/normality again. I can only advise the same as everyone else find some things like swimming/ mums and tots classes to go to as these will help give both of you some simulation.

As for me time I always try and get some - happy mummy= happy baby. By the way my daughter always seemed to prefer everyone to me and there were days i got upset about this but looking back now I think she was probably as bored of me as I (at times) was of her. It will pass but do things to make you happy until you get through it.

Hi Kim

{{Hugs}}

You are definately not a bad mum and please don't beat yourself up for how you're feeling at the moment. I am sure we all feel the same sometimes, being a mum is a really hard job!

I don't think asking your mum to look after Rubie sometimes is a bad thing, why don't you use that time to do something positive for yourself whether it be catching up with a friend, taking a long hot soak, going to the shops alone etc. There's nothing to feel guilty about wanting and needing some time to yourself. Our partners are Dads and their role is equally important yet it's totally acceptable when the Dad usually returns to work a couple of weeks after the baby's arrival. I agree with whoever it was that said about our little ones get used to us as we look after them 24/7 so when Granny or Dad come along they react with a smile as this is their social interaction.

I hope you're starting to feel a little better Kim, being a mum is a very demanding and tough job, but you're not alone and we're all here for you :hug:

Lucy x

Kim, you are so not a bad mum. What you are feeling does not make you evil or bad, if that was the case there would be a fair few of us heading to hell. I do think perhaps you should chat with your Dr and your HV. They can assist you with your feelings, I was the same hun for so long and I couldn't even stand to be near Seren but I spoke to my HV and am getting there. :hug:

one day i cracked up because zoé was smiling at everybody except me... my mum just laughed at me and said 'you're jealous! there is no need to be, if zoé smiles at other people it is because she is charming them and knows she doesnt need to with you because she already has you wrapped around her finger!'. i thought about it and it makes sense. your turn to think about it...
as for wanting time to yourself, as we've all said it's normal!! it takes time to adjust to giving all your own time to a wee person... it will happen eventually

you are definately not a bad mum
(((((hug)))))

Hi Kim.

i went through this with Dior, she has never ever been the cuddle type never cuddles or kisses me :( but its just her personality

iv learnt to cope with the way she is. shes stuborn, bossy and strong.

your not a bad mum.

i think loads of you for talking openly to us all :hug:

just like everyone said, really Kim!

I think we all feel like that at some point, and it's one of those things! I get very VERY jealous f anybody who gets something I don't from Maheen, whatever it is, and if you do as well, then it defo shows how much you love her! babies are innocent you know, they don't think as much as we do...they learn that much later, and I am suree she loves you and shws it to you, but sometimes, when we get paranoid, we acdtually don't see things...if that makes sense!?

I also look forward to bed time (I can't look forward to day naps, coz she simply doesn't sleep!!!), and I would love to know someone around who could look after Maheen at times, but I don't!
Yesterday, she was crying, and I got fed up, lfet her in her cot and went to take a shower!Am I a bad mum? no, coz when I ame back, I was refreshed and Maheen was all happy to talk to her toys!

Someone (can't remember who, sorry!) suggested groups...That's a brill idea! I don't know anyone around here so went to post-natal group and now baby massage with same mums, it's so nice to go and meet opthers who face the same troubles! we now meet up outside the group!
it makes you realise that YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

Kim, cheer up, it takes time to establish a nice relationship with someone, whoever that is! you are not a bad mum at all! :hug: :hug:

mel xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back