Argh! Still thrush! Feed one side only??

tania

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone had thrush in breasts and managed to successfully get rid of it? Maia and I have been treated on and off for weeks as she has it in her mouth and I have in my milk ducts - first off was just given fluconazole for me and nothing for her which didn't shift it, then got nystatin for her and another course of fluconazole for me but again it didn't clear up completely. Last week saw doc again and they gave us daktarin gel for her mouth and yet more fluconazole for me - its still flipping there! I am sure the dose of fluconazole they are giving me is too low - 50mg a day for 7 days. According to the breastfeeding network should be a loading dose of 150mg at once then 50-100mg twice a day for at least 10 days. Asked doc about this when was back yet again on Friday and she ignored me and gave me 50mg a day for 14 days. Don't see the point in keeping taking medications when not at the right strength to actually work, and continually passing drugs to Maia through the breast milk. Shes now been on the daktarin gel for over 10 days which I feel is a bit long, and its definitely making her sicker than usual poor wee thing. Just at the end of my tether with this. Its flipping agony and since the doc won't listen to me re dosage I just don't know what else to do?!

For some reason its much much worse on my right hand side - thats always been the side thats given me the most problems feeding, had the most cracks on nipple etc. Did manage to get it sorted at one point though before the thrush so don't think its positioning etc. Wonder if i could just give up feeding on that side altogether? Worry that the left side wouldn't make enough milk to give her enough, though I could maybe supplement with some formula feeds. She gets a formula feed last thing at night anyway.

I am at wits end with this! Really want to keep breastfeeding but can't take this pain much longer! Also worried re taking ibuprofen/paracetamol on top of thrush medication - her poor wee system must be getting so many drugs from me :wall2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back