Thrush...

SmallPurpleCat

Reaction score
Still having problems with one boob - it feels tender and I have a tingling/burning sensation on and off.

I've spoken to an NCT Breastfeeding Counsellor today and she says it sounds like thrush. Isla has no sign of it in her mouth though.

I then spoke to my GP and he has prescribed Fluconazole which says on the leaflet - Do not take if pregnant or breastfeeding....?!

Don't know what to do as I'm not 100% sure if it is thrush or not...

Anyone had any experience with thrush in breasts?

Hey, no advice I'm afraid but what a stupid doctor! Lol unless it's just a precaution thing, if it's to put on your boob then you'd think it would say suitable for breasts and feeding! Lol. Maybe check that again. And hope you get it sorted, I've heard it's pretty common and stuff, hope it gets better xx

Hi, I've only just seen this so don't know if you still need help or not! Cahal had a bout of thrush that transferred to my breast when he was a few weeks old, the pain when feeding him was absolutely terrible, I was practically in tears each time I fed him and it very nearly made me think twice about bfing full stop! I went to the doctors and was prescribed some Daktarin - it's gel for LO's mouth but the doc said I could use it on my nipple too. It seemed to do the trick, LO's mouth was clear in a couple of days and I wasn't far behind him. We haven't had any problems since :)

Thanks for the reply. Don't think it was thrush in the end. I've still got a tender area but no pain when feeding or after. Just keeping an eye on it.

Glad it's improving! I'm a bit worried I might have thrush, my nipples are really sore and itchy and have gone bright pink! Can't see anything inside Lizzie's mouth but will ask HV tomorrow. I think it's wearing breastpads tbh, I change them regularly but it only takes one let-down reflex and they're soaking and if I'm out I just have to leave them :S

I think it was the breast pads that did it for me too, I was using Boots own but then changed to Johnsons - more expensive but did the job better, and we didn't get thrush again!

Hi, I've only just seen this so don't know if you still need help or not! Cahal had a bout of thrush that transferred to my breast when he was a few weeks old, the pain when feeding him was absolutely terrible, I was practically in tears each time I fed him and it very nearly made me think twice about bfing full stop! I went to the doctors and was prescribed some Daktarin - it's gel for LO's mouth but the doc said I could use it on my nipple too. It seemed to do the trick, LO's mouth was clear in a couple of days and I wasn't far behind him. We haven't had any problems since :)

Me and my son both had it when he was about 4 weeks old aswell.. it was agony to feed and it did cause me to give up. He was constantly wanting to feed to stop the itching and it was just too painful. Well done fo continuing through it!! I did get stuff from the doctors for us both but after a week it still wasnt cleared :(

It's awful isn't it? Sounds like you had it tougher if it was still there after a week, I was assured we had a mild case so can't imagine what it must be like to have been ant worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back