Apparently 'nan' is common!!!

positivity :)

Reaction score
my MIL really annoyed me the other night. we were at her house talking about when the baby arrives and she said she wants to be called 'granny'. apparently 'nan' sounds common and chavvy!

more than anything it annoyed me coz i've always called my nan 'nan'!! i told her its personal choice but i'm not keen on granny as i think it sounds older, like great granny.

grrrrrr :mad: so bloody pretentious!!!

Lol my sister had this with her MIL....so thanks to number 1 nephews logic he has a Granny and Grandad....and Nanny and Nandad xxxxxxxxxxx

I agree I think grandma sounds older for some reason than nan, we have 3 potential nans or grandmas dont know whos bagging what though! LOL

My mum is known as nanny and my nana is known as grandma to my dd.

When mil was alive she was gran.

haha, awww nandad..so sweet!!

it will at least seperate my mum and his mum i suppose :roll: xx

I always had nan (nanny when really wee) and grandad too in essex. I don't hear it up here much though. My mum will be nan and think my dad grandad. OHs mum def gran as that's what his family use but not sure about FIL.

Nan isn't chavvy lol.

X

Not meaning to cause offense - but i always thought Nan was just more English (that scottish) - if that makes sense.

Guess maybe it depends what your used to. My mum is Granny to my neice and nephew, my Dad is Bampa at the moment - cos my neice couldnt say grandpa - dunno if they'll grow outta that. My Gran os Old Granny - my dad's reference to his MIL which my neice decided she liked - thankfully gran finds it funny.

I have no idea wat MIL will want to be as this will be their first. Grandma is more common up in the north east than where im from, although i think that sounds older.
xxx

Not meaning to cause offense - but i always thought Nan was just more English (that scottish) - if that makes sense.

Guess maybe it depends what your used to. My mum is Granny to my neice and nephew, my Dad is Bampa at the moment - cos my neice couldnt say grandpa - dunno if they'll grow outta that. My Gran os Old Granny - my dad's reference to his MIL which my neice decided she liked - thankfully gran finds it funny.

I have no idea wat MIL will want to be as this will be their first. Grandma is more common up in the north east than where im from, although i think that sounds older.
xxx

Hi hun,

I live in Scotland and have never heard it here. I agree. I'm English. No offense taken!

xx

My mum will be Nanna and my MIL wants nan but think she'll be persuaded by o/h and FIL to use granny instead. My MIL thinks that Nan is POSHER so tell her to stick that in her pipe and smoke it :rofl:

yeah i think 'granny' is more scottish.

really jayne lol! well there u go!!! xxx

I already have a gran and a grandma myself, and my mum doesn't want to be the same, nor does she want to be a granny, nan, nanny, nanna or anything else... So God knows what she is going to end up being called!!!

My MIL is Scottish and I have been TOLD she will be called Granny and nothing else. My mum will prob be nana or nanny

My friends mum is welsh, so will be getting Nain, apparrently it's welsh for nan :)

No...... not unless she was taking the pee out of me when she told me that :oooo:

haha, i dont know why but that has really tickled me!! i've never heard of that before and i love it!!! i love the welsh!! xx

YOu do realise I had to google it just to make sure :rofl:

and it exists does it? it sounds completely welsh but just has really made me laugh!!!! :rofl: xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back