Anyone use coil as contraception

Rubys mummy

Reaction score
Have been on pill/depo since i was 18. Had a break when TTCing then had Ruby, but went back on pill once Rubes was born...not happy with it really, having spotting in between cycles and I keep forgetting to take it :oops: Being careful tho, TBH we rarely get time to make love any more!!!

I went to docs tonight to see about the coil..I took my last pill last wednesday, had period sunday-wednesday and havent taken a pill since

Doctor recommended I wait till first day of next period then go to family planning clinic to have IUD fitted-it freaked me out!!!!! Do they insert it when I am bleeding????? :shock: :puke:

Any experience/advice would be very gratefully accepted...

PS Dont want any more kids any time soon, maybe never

apparently its far less painful when inserted during a period as your cervix is softer and slightly more open.. I had mine done when I wasn't on... and it was very painful :( I loved my coil... only had it out to start TTCing... was going to have another one put in but they wouldn't at our NHS place until I had my first period...but Im bfing, then they put me on the mini pill so I won't get periods anyway :roll: really logical...

So I will just wait...

Basically it was a little painful at first... and I had a dull ache for a few days after and then while having sex but after a year I'd forgotten I had it... I have heard some horror stories... if you speak to Leckershell... she had a rough time with hers... but in general you will hear horror stories with every kind of contraceptive so just try it... if it doesn't work out try something else. :D

I have a coil and it's great. It was a bit grim having it put in but nothing too awful and now I have nothing to have to remember - I'm footloose and can enjoy life to the full!! :rotfl:

The other really good thing for me (being 37) is that if we decide to try for number 2 then I will be back to full fertility the minute it's removed and it's so quick to remove I don't have to wait to have it done (unlike the implant!). I really didn't want to go back on the pill, I never liked the fake periods it gave me, I missed my own natural, fuller, periods and felt less complete (Ok - I know I'm nuts!).

I had the non hormone one not the hormone covered one because I wanted as few lasting effects as poss and to keep my periods.

midna said:
I loved my coil not the insert and certainly not havin it taken out ...I bled for 6-7 months afterwards too ..brown sticky stuff constantly .. really peed me off lol ..just lettin ya know it took 7 months after it was out to conceive the seed. xx..but that was just my experience and it stopped my periods altogether when it was in :cheer: :cheer:

not looking forward to this!!! Good to know though I should get it out about 6 months before TTC next one that im trying to talk OH in to lol.

Mine didnt really hurt going in as she said cervix still open/soft from the birth (oran was about 3 months iirc) but wasnt a nice feeling but im not looking forward to it being removed. I bled regular, not daily or heavily for about 3 months (as did SIL) alot of the time it was just brown gunky stuff though but since then I do kinda have a period every 4.5 weeks but only rieally light and for about 1 day to 1.5 days and I like that as I know where I am, plus I hope it means would bleed so bad when its out. I love that I dont have to rememeber the pill as I always forgot, I do forget its there now TBH

Squiglet said:
I have heard some horror stories... if you speak to Leckershell... she had a rough time with hers... but in general you will hear horror stories with every kind of contraceptive so just try it... if it doesn't work out try something else. :D

midna said:
PM leckershell :lol: ..she loves coils.

:rotfl:

coils = :talkhand:

but thats because they inserted it wrong. i've heard for most people it's fine which is why I wanted to try it, but hey ho, the rubbish pill for me :roll:

I had the mirena coil (hormone one) for 3 and half years before having logan. insertion was fine but 10 mins after I felt like I was in labour and almost passed out. Was crampy for a couple days, then pain free. I spotted for a few weeks but then my periods disappeared completely, along with the period pains :dance:

Side effects were spots (horrible big painful one;s around the jawline), loss of sex drive and nausea around the time I would have had a period. I did feel the pro's outweighed the cons though, as I've had similar problems with the pill. I think its just how my body reacts to the hormones, some people have no side effects,

This time I'm opting for the no hormone coil as Im breastfeeding so dont like the idea of putting artificial hormones in my body. If i dont get on with the no hormone coil I'll probably swap it for another mirena

eta: it didnt hurt at all having the mirena out and i got pg with logan 3 months later

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back