Anyone take the full year whilst on SMP (so got nowt for last 3 months?)

My first maternity leave involved alot of shops. I took the full year with my first and I accrued a years holiday so got paid for that in a lump sum! I never went back as it wasn't financially worth it! I take the boys to a few groups etc but don't spend much else except the bod nappies milk etc but have started working from home starting my own business so that's taken up some time!

can you do keeping in touch days Nat?

I am taking the full year now. I am into the last £200 of my savings already, and I still have until 29th Sept! Wont actually get any pay until end of October!! (I think?)

I have taken a repayment holiday on my car loan for next month, we have a terrimundi that is full of £2 coins so maybe £500? Hubby has just got a new job so is getting around £500 holiday pay next month and basically we are just going to "get by"

if I do some keeping in touch days in June, i will get some money end of July. And some in July will get money end of August.

hopefully that will keep us going. The only thing is, my uniform wont fit!!! and so long as nothing breaks. My car went bang last week and suddenly went right down onto the wheels! looked like it was lowered. Thankfully was just the springs going! haha.

we are not entitled to any tax credits or any help either. Luckily for me hubby gets a good wage.

Yep they have KIT days, to be honest though the thought of going back to work is horrible and makes me feel anxious. I am not an anxious person!

God knows what I'll be like when I have to go back FT? I am just going to have to keep reminding myself it's just for a while (until I have number 2 LOL)

I am due to pop in soon so I'll have a word and see if they need me to cover any holidays or come in for any training?

We still have quite a healthy amount of savings but ideally I'd like to keep as much of that as possible so we can move when I go back to work. The more we have left in savings the sooner we can move!

I was thinking when my SMP stops to get a 0% interest credit card [on purchases], use that to cover food shopping / essentials for a few months and then pay it off when I am earning again?? You can get some cards with 17 months 0% interest on purchases? I'd be paying it off within 3 months and if the worst did happen then I have savings to cover it??

xxxxxx

Me! Go to nil pay as of next week. Gonna be so hard xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I am on 10 months maternity leave with my holiday tacked at either end so it equates to 12 months off and means I only get one month with no pay. It's still so hard but when I go back to work I will actually be worse off than I currently am so I'm trying to enjoy it for now! It feels like I'll be broke forever!

I was gonna take the year but with J and OH birthday are 6 days apart plus Xmas and n year just before. So I wanted to go back after the 9m plus as tweets said, I am itching for normality or routine. I've always worked since 16 so this has been the longest priod off work, I love my job so I don't feel bad about going back.

Couldn't you just dip into your savings and then repay back more once you are at work again?

When are you gonna look for a new place nat ?

xxxxxx

We're already looking for a new place but can't really afford it until I go back.

I want to save savings in-case anything comes up though and we can use that for deposit / moving costs / to tide us over with rent.

I'm going to get a 0% credit card for the last 3 months (some have 17 months 0% on purchases) so I'll start repaying it as soon as I am back at work.

xxxxxxxx

Ahh good thinking. It can be costly moving, I know you private rent don't you?

Are you still wanting to live in your area as I know that's near fam xxxxx

Yep we private rent but from a family member (lives abroad and has paid mortgage) so we pay about 50% less than we would if we were renting privately on the open market.... We pay all the bills, had to furnish the place etc but essentially we are getting a proper steal which is why moving is going to be tough.

I am on a scheme for affordable housing with the local Council. A 2 bedroom where I live in London would be about £400 a week but on this scheme you pay anything between 80 - 60% of market value. We live in a very popular borough and sadly the housing market has gone through the roof.

xxxxxxxx

Wouldn't you be interested in going for a mortgage since you have saved up ?

I must admit I'd shit myself to get a mortgage. My SIL and BIL just bought a brand new house at xmas (of course they had to have something going on when I was due Jackson lol) and now BIL lost his job.

He had been workin there like 7 year. But the market is gd for first time buyers. Or is the houses at your bit too expensive to buy ? xxxxx

Nope we can't afford a mortgage either hun! We'd need to earn about £50k more a year between us to afford to buy a studio :shock:

We'd have to move well out of central London to come close to affording a mortgage so the council scheme is our best bet unless we find a good private deal?

xxxxxxxx

Natalie it must be so hard living in London :( so expensive!!! When it comes to housing etc... I love looking on right move at the houses and flats in London. I think there's garages and parking spaces from the same price I paid for my 2 bedroom house? Haha xx

Natalie it must be so hard living in London :( so expensive!!! When it comes to housing etc... I love looking on right move at the houses and flats in London. I think there's garages and parking spaces from the same price I paid for my 2 bedroom house? Haha xx

It is hard and if we didn't have family (and jobs) we'd consider moving away but why should we?

Sadly salaries don't reflect the cost of living but that is true for most people at the moment so I can't complain.

We have options and we're exploring them and of course we have all the benefits of living in London so it's not all bad.

xxxxxxxx

I took the full year, but did kit days for the last 3 months which meant that I had enlighten money to cover my outgoings. Oh had to cover my share of the bills and living expenses.
I only went back to work 2 days a week so oh still pays the lions share now but I have enough money to run my car, and pay my phone bill, plus lots of money to do things with lo. X

I'd love to live in london if I weren't skint, bt then I'd love to live anywhere but Scotland sometimes lol.

Me & OH are thinking of retiring in America. I've already started building my pension. I wouldn't move with J though, this is where I grew up and its where he and any siblings are growing up xxxxx

Aw... I love living in Scotland. I couldn't imagine ever living somewhere else :( except maybe moving further north and living in the highlands :)

I lived in London for a year I paid £400 for a room in a house that I share with 7 other people in NW2.

I had all the shared bills to pay on top of that - I was barely getting by and earnin a decent wage.

I miss the "freedom" of London but that's about it. I used to walk everywhere and if there was something you wanted to do you could find it in London. :)

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

My sister has moved to London with her BF and they currently pay £1200 for a 2 bed FLAT! His friend has moved in to the spare room with them to help pay. £1200 just for rent!!! madness! Spesh when im comparing with what im paying £575 for a 2 bed house!

Her bf is from Jersey and they lived there for 2 hrs before moving to london and jersery is just as expensive.

They are looking to move back to Cardiff in the next year or so to settle down closer to family and friends.

London is lovely tho Carnat.. U should feel like u have to move!!xx

I love living in London! We bought a 4 bedroom house in Turnpike Lane a few years ago. It's what I see as an 'up and coming' area so it wasn't bad in comparison to the other areas and the mortgage is £890 a month. It's no Highbury & Islington though ;) but would you ever consider looking further out? I know Turnpike Lane/Manor House/Wood Green are a bit rough around the edges but they are planning Crossrail 2 to go through Turnpike Lane in the next 20 years so buying around there could be a good long term investment. Even as a short term investment, they are sprucing up the area and have had lots of lottery funding to improve the parks etc. As a new mum I've found Haringey to be fab for free children activities! Plus transport links are great - overground, first capital connect, tube and buses!

Anyway just a thought. Sorry for harping on!

I love scotland most times. Buuut its the weather!!!

Although I did move 20mins drive from the area I grew up I was home sick about a year then it dissapeared and glad I'm away from that area.

No one knows me here, no one in your business etc. I love privacy!

xxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back